Consider this an update/review/cautionary tale about our current internet setup and cell signal boosting.
Our internet connection strength has been weak since we got to Moab a week ago. A month ago when we were here, we didn't have this problem. Some of it has been network congestion. But part of it has been what I believe is the heat death of our older Wilson 4G cradle booster.
Two weeks ago while we were in Durango, the Wilson cradle finally caused the battery in our MiFi to explode. Requiring us to purchase a new MiFi.
Fast forward to this week and the slow speeds. That's when I observed that we were getting better speeds and a stronger signal in the truck than in the Airstream. We have a WeBoost 4G-M in our truck with a Surecall 12 inch magnetic antenna.
This lead me to believe that Wilson Cradle was on the way out. So we ordered a WeBoost 4G-X to place in the Airstream. When installed, we saw an instant improvement. From .8mbps down to 3mbps down. Huge improvement.
People have commented in the past that the cradle booster puts off a lot of heat. It does, and we were using a method mentioned by Technomadia about trying to get airflow in there, but it still managed to kill one MiFi battery. And I suspect being always on was damaging it as well. Heat is the enemy of electronics after all.
A few details; the Drive 4G-X is 50db gain over the 20db gain of the older Wilson cradle booster and boosts multiple devices. Bonus, it's on sale right now on Amazon.
If you are curious, this is my antenna setup. I use the 9inch Surecall Omni antenna about 85% of the time. And the other 15% of the time (like this week) I aim the directional YAGI antenna for greater signal strength. Both mounted on my antenna mast.