Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
TomTom One

I got my birthday present almost 4 months early this year

Susan bought me a TomTom One GPS setup. I'd been wanting one for sometime but we kept putting it off due to cost. Apparently she found a really good deal on one and decided to grab it.

We gave it a test run this past weekend and for the most part are very happy with it. Its very simple to use, the graphics are excellent as is the voice quality. It does have a few quirks and doesn't seem to do well on estimating time.

We haven't used it in the Airstream Motorhome just yet as its still in the shop but we will put it to the test when we head to Branson (assuming its out of the shop by then ).

Thanks Susan

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
It's pretty funny - it gets rather petulant if you go off your planned route. We went through several detours (by choice) and it was very insistent about getting us back to our route through left turns and U-turns. But that is a good feature if you are accidentally straying from your route!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
It's pretty funny - it gets rather petulant if you go off your planned route. We went through several detours (by choice) and it was very insistent about getting us back to our route through left turns and U-turns. But that is a good feature if you are accidentally straying from your route!

Susan
"As soon as it is safe, make a U turn and return to (the road you are supposed to be on), then make a right (or left) turn..."
Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
It actually just pretty much says, "Turn Left!" "Turn Right!" or "At The Next Opportunity Make a U-Turn." Yes, with caps. It's pretty funny to hear it say, "Turn Left!" "Turn Left!" "Turn Left!" "Turn Left!" as you go through a subdivision. I suspect that will quickly become not so funny...

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
We also found ourselves having great discussions with TomTom.

Not that she listened of course..........

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
It actually just pretty much says, "Turn Left!" "Turn Right!" or "At The Next Opportunity Make a U-Turn." Yes, with caps. It's pretty funny to hear it say, "Turn Left!" "Turn Left!" "Turn Left!" "Turn Left!" as you go through a subdivision. I suspect that will quickly become not so funny...

Susan
Sounds to much like being married to me......

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
I, likewise, have the Tom Tom One and really like it. I haven't figured out yet if it has the feature whereby you can set it on "truck routing" as some units do. I think this would be a great feature in that it could keep you out of very conjested areas with tight curves. Could have used that feature a time or two in travelling to Perry for the International this summer.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
i recently purchased the TomTom Go 720. while the unit is very very nice. it doesn't come w/ a case (you would think so for the price), and the maps are horrible.

i'm going from los angeles to the ABQ Ballooooon Fiesta next week, and half the RV Park's, special attractions and even the event itself are "unkown".

other than that,

it's a really nice unit.

i'm bringing the AAA maps, just in case.

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohillgrish
I, likewise, have the Tom Tom One and really like it. I haven't figured out yet if it has the feature whereby you can set it on "truck routing" as some units do. I think this would be a great feature in that it could keep you out of very conjested areas with tight curves. Could have used that feature a time or two in travelling to Perry for the International this summer.
So far in reading through the documentation I haven't seen anything that mentions "truck routing". The particular model that we have which is Version 2 is supposedly upgradeable to newer features when they come out. Maybe something like that will be included in the future.

Brad
Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
i recently purchased the TomTom Go 720. while the unit is very very nice. it doesn't come w/ a case (you would think so for the price), and the maps are horrible.

i'm going from los angeles to the ABQ Ballon Fiesta next week, and half the RV Park's, special attractions and even the event itself are "unkown".

other than that,

it's a really nice unit.

i'm bringing the AAA maps, just in case.

kevin
Kevin, do you know which map you're using? Our One has the USA/Canada map and from what I've read there is a much better USA only map that has a lot more detail in it. The file size for the USA/Canada map is something like 900k and the USA only version is around 1.5M. Big difference and hopefully filled with more details.

Brad
Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
Kevin, do you know which map you're using? Our One has the USA/Canada map and from what I've read there is a much better USA only map that has a lot more detail in it. The file size for the USA/Canada map is something like 900k and the USA only version is around 1.5M. Big difference and hopefully filled with more details.

Brad
mr brad,

i'll go online and look. don't get me wrong the unit is very very nice. perhaps it's just the southwest where the maps arn't so great. afterall, it's all desert (but careful here, the folks are very very nice).

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Sounds to much like being married to me......
I don't think it comes with the "lost argument/mute button", tho. My lo-tech nav assistant also comes with the "caught you looking at the cute blonde in the Mercedes" feature that lowers the temp in the car by ten degrees, whether the a/c is on or not...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I don't think it comes with the "lost argument/mute button", tho. My lo-tech nav assistant also comes with the "caught you looking at the cute blonde in the Mercedes" feature that lowers the temp in the car by ten degrees, whether the a/c is on or not...

Brad
Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
My lovely wife can't navigate worth beans... she refers to my Magellan Maestro GPS as that "other woman". She actually derives pleasure when the GPS steers me wrong.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My wife's gold Expedition has a built-in navigation system that I affectionately named "Goldie". The first time we tried it out we set it for our spring break trip to Disney World...a trip we make at least three times a year so we knew the route. We just wanted to become familiar with the unit on a known route rather than get ourselves lost by messing up the system.

Well, it's a good thing we did! I had some how set it for avoid expressways and the seven hour trip was planned for 15-1/2 hours! As we approached the interstate, "Goldie" told me to make a "safe u-turn at the next opportunity" and when I ignored her and got on the interstate, "Goldie" kept telling me to take the next exit. I finally told the b!+c# to shut up and pressed the mute button!!

When we stopped for gas in Valdosta, I reset the options and cleared the "avoid expressway" preference and magically, the planned route was on the interstate and the remaining journey went from a eight hour trip to a three hour trip!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
My wife recently mentioned a GPS would be kinda neat - I took that as permission to purchase . I researched and looked at the Tom Tom One, the Garmin Nuvi, and ended up getting the LG LN740. It's got a few more bells and whistles, and usually alot more expensive, but I found a really good deal. We will be testing it out Thursday as we head for the BB Rally. I really like the features on the Nuvi - but couldn't justify the price.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #17
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
GPS is right up there with the cell phone and microwave. Once you have one, you wonder how you ever did without.

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
I received a Garnin GPS for Christmas. After using it once my DH went out and bought one for himself. Definately wonder how I ever did without it. Even on a route I know, I can now tell exactly what time I am going to arrive. And it is great for looking up restaurants and things in unknown territory.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:37 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
We have the tomtom one. Yes, it's time to destination leaves something to be desired though it usually indicates a lot longer rather than shorter time to destination.

Other than that, it works great. It got me through Pittsburgh recently with no problems.

It can't be beat for the price. Here's a mounting tip. Rather than sticking it on the windshield, I velcro the suction cup mount to the dash. Works well that way.
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:00 AM   #20
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We have a Tom Tom. We just completed a 10,000 mile trip up through Canada and back through all the western states. Other than an occaisional glitch in the maps where it has an older road in the system or where its maps don't seem to match up for a mile or so, the system worked great. We often chose a more scenic route than the more direct route Tom Tom had chosen. Usually after just a couple of miles it would reprogram itself to the chosen route. The best feature was that we always knew how much further a destination was. We also used it to find nearby campgrounds and restaurants as we made the entire trip on the fly without once obtaining a reservation anywhere. Overall, it was well worth its cost.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote