Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Things I think that I Know about Internet While on the Road

Here is what I think I know about using the internet while on the road. I learned it from reading these forums and some personal experience.

1. Internet comes from either a campground WIFI signal or a 3G/4G device (like a phone with a mobile hotspot or a MYFI device)

2. You need to have 2 separate Antennas. One the boosts the WIFI signal from campgrounds and unsecured nearby networks and one to boost your 3G/4G signal.

3. You should have the WIFI boosting antenna running inside the trailer to a router (any G or N router) in order to hook up all your devices wirelessly.

Now I have a couple questions:

How do you get the antenna that grabs the 3G/4G signal to your phone inside the trailer?

Are these devices all the same. Do any offer advantages?:

JEFA Tech

PDQ Connect

WIFI Ranger

Here is what I plan to use internet for:

1. SMART TV APPS on my TV (streaming video)

2. Internet browsing on my Computer

3. Spotify Music (streaming music)

OK. I think that covers it all. Any corrections or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Verizon has a 5Gb data limit for their basic mifi rate. Be careful when streaming video on your TV. The up-charge for going over can be shocking.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
I have Sprint unlimited and I can set my phone up as a WIFI hotspot. That is basically the same thing as a MIFI device, right?
Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Are these devices all the same. Do any offer advantages?:

JEFA Tech

PDQ Connect

WIFI Ranger

Chris
Different products.

JEFA Tech and WIFI Ranger are for boosting WIFI.

PDQ Connect is for boosting cell signal.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Most campgrounds you cannot steam from unless you pay for a connection.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
So, technically, I could just get the PDQ Connect setup to boost my cell and 3G signal. Then I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot and connect my computer and tv. Then I will have internet anywhere that I go without having to worry about a campgrounds wifi?
Old 09-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
My experience is that cell phones used as hotspots give much slower connection speeds than WiFi units.....which are cell receivers with cell numbers....go figure.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
My experience is that cell phones used as hotspots give much slower connection speeds than WiFi units.....which are cell receivers with cell numbers....go figure.
I think the difference is that wireless broadband WiFi is data-only, unlike a smartphone, which is voice+data. If you have a limited amount of bandwidth, being able to use all of it for data gives you a faster speed.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
They are the same speed, slow. You won't be able live stream adequately with a 3G signal. It's a rare campground located where 4G is available and maybe as rare where a wi-fi signal from the campground's router will provide that much bandwidth.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
So then, how is it possible to receive a connection to the internet that is worth a damn? Anyone have any idea?

I would like top watch tv via the APPS on my tv, like Netflix, HBOgo, etc. also, I would like to work from the trailer. That would entail uploading and downloading reasonably large design files and videos.

Is there a solution out there that doesn't require a contract?

Thanks!

CHris
Old 09-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have been happy with our Verizon MiFi device which will connect up to 5 devices to the inernet. We can access 3G or 4G (when it's available), and we have been pretty amazed at both where and how well we are able to get a signal, without a booster or antenna. There have been times when we couldn't make/receive a cell call but we can get an internet connection. I am usually able to conduct biz and email with fairly good-sized attachments, and we have been able to stream video from Netflix to our laptop successfully ... even with 3G.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
What about Virgin Mobile? The have an unlimited 4G plan- but then only a 2 or 5gb 3GB limit. The problem is in remote places 4g is not available. Satillite (Hughes Net) has for $99 a 40gb per month download.
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
I'm chiming in just to say I'm grateful for this thread. I'm fairly tech savvy, but this is an issue that has stumped me as I've set out full-timing.

My cell phone carrier doesn't cover me where I'm currently sitting, but the park I'm in has free wifi. Streaming and a pretty decent signal/speed.

I need - not only internet connection - but nation wide (and I mean everywhere) cell coverage.

This might be an off the wall question, but is there an affordable way to do both?

Julianne
(Notice I didn't say easy....) :grin:
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
A campground with wired cable works great. Or a sat reciever.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We have both a VirginMobile and Verizon MiFi card. There are places where one will work and other won't. Seems to be a better solution than using my iPhone as a hotspot for regular work. iPhone hotspot only for emergency or quick checking of a small file or site.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Anyone else have any input on this topic? I am considering getting a MIFI device and trying it month to month. Will I need an external antenna as well?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I use a Pantec 290 Verizon Aircard kind of like a MIFI only USB so one connection at a time.

I have never needed an external antenna and Verizon 4G seems to be just about everywhere. 5G for $50 and $10 a Gig after 5 so it would get expensive to download movie data.

I have been told that Sprint will slow you down if you use to much data even with an unlimited plan.

There is another plan Millicom 20G for $60 and works on Sprint and Verizon networks.

The least expensive but reliability will be depending on the RV park is the campground WIFI and it is not available in most government parks.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Anyone else have any input on this topic? I am considering getting a MIFI device and trying it month to month. Will I need an external antenna as well?
Just bought a Verizon JetPack MHS291 4G LTE. I upgraded from a Verizon MiFi 2000 3G. We have a family data plan. 8GB....$90....ouch. The monthly device fee is $20.

The MHS291 is the only Verizon JetPack that has an antenna input. You have to buy the antenna directly from Verizon on-line. I should have it tomorrow.

I'm going to put it to the rally test this weekend with the SoCal Streamers at Kernville....Rivernook.

Crabby1.....look me up....we'll be in space 446.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
One of the things you may need is money—using minutes or Gb go up fast when you look at lots of websites (this one, RV park reviews, restaurants) or send and receive lots of photos on the road.

We got a Verizon magic box—got a silly name: Jet Pack—several month ago. $50/month plus nuisance fees for 5 Gb. First two months we almost went over, but used enough campground wifi to scrape by. This month we hit 7Gb for another $20. And we don't download movies, listen to internet radio or watch YouTube. But we have internet most anywhere we have gone and that mobility is important. 4G/LTE is quite fast, 3G varies a lot depending on how busy the tower is. The magic box is simply a cellphone without voice.

Campground wifi varies a lot according to how good the installer of the system was, whether you have a clear view of the campground antenna, how busy the wifi system is (5-9 pm and early morning are usually the worst) and whether they have a contractor like Tengo run the system (often very slow). In the past week we stayed at 4 campgrounds—wifi at first was very good, second mostly nonexistent (we were about 20' from the antenna), 3rd never worked, and 4th worked on and off, usually fairly good, but sometimes nothing.

I bought a Wifi Ranger and I think it was the B version. Some very clever ideas, but some very important stuff like a workable way to use it were badly handled. Even though there was an Airstream special at $150, it was $150 down the drain. Maybe they have figured out simple things like knowing whether it is on or off and wiring it so it doesn't screw up the TV antenna booster. I hope so. When I could get it working, it made little difference so far as I could tell. Maybe not the B version, maybe C. The webpage to set it was attractive, but poorly explained. Maybe geeks would find it fine.

Many people have praised Wilson's cellphone booster, but we haven't needed it. When inside an Airstream, you are in a metal cage (Farraday Cage) and that can weaken or block phone and wifi signals. But lots of windows help with reception. If the cell tower is far away, you may have to go outside. The magic box from Verizon has worked well inside the trailer, however. It seems to be more sensitive than my wife's dumb phone.

You can also use a smart phone, but for us laptops and an iPad work best and we have no need for a smart phone.

It depends what you need. If you must have constant cellphone reception and cannot get it, either you need a better phone and/or provider, or need a cellphone booster.

If you need connectivity for a laptop or tablet, campground wifi varies a lot and is not always dependable or available (it was better, even in remote areas, in Canada in 2010 than in the US). Thus, a data plan with a provider with a big and fast network is needed. Verizon seems to be the best for coverage, though they are getting away with a lot on their rates.

I see that 2 or your major needs involve streaming. This uses a lot of bandwidth, especially video. If you use campground wifi, most systems now restrict use for people who stream stuff—such use makes it hard or impossible for everyone else trying to get and send e-mails and maybe a few photos to a friend back home plus check out campgrounds for the next day, tourist attractions, etc. More bandwidth for a campground is expensive for them and many have no idea how to make it happen in a dependable way. Since we are all in this together, I would not recommend streaming at a campground because it makes it harder for everyone. So your option is a smart phone or a data plan with a magic box from one of the cellphone companies. You can get 10 Gb/mo. for $80 from Verizon, but even that may not be enough if you consume Gb as freely as it seems you want to.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Thanks everyone for the input!

interstateflyer - We will definitely stop by and see how it is working out for you. Very interested. I was considering picking one up this week with a no contract plan so that I could test it out as well...

Gene - I agree about not streaming over the campgrounds WIFI service. I wouldn't expect that to be reliable enough anyway. My guess is that I will be traveling 2 or 4 weekends per month and would most likely watch 1-2 movies in the time as well as stream music. I don't really surf the web too much when camping but I do enjoy music with the some beers and videos before bed to relax.

Overall, I see my self using about 12 Gb / month... Verizon might work. I guess I can always brings movies with me, but that was the point of having HBOGo and Netflix (I already paid for them) Same with unlimited music from Spotify (anything I want at any time).