Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
The age old question, Apple or Microsoft laptop?

So here is the delima. my asus laptop running windows 7 with a amd E2 chip is getting slower or let me say was never real fast new (5 yrs old) but over time internet speed has gone up and my load times have not.

So i am looking at a new laptop and while using my daughters mac book air (1.5 yrs old) i see how a speedy unit loads pages..

Now I have never own apple products and dont have an iphone and dont really plan to get iphone as I like my android samsung 6. I may do come video editing but not big time.

I see the best unit run a i7 intel chip but i dont need to be cutting edge so looking at i5 or comparable in apple products..

any good advise appreciated on models like HP dell apple etc
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Price range?

The Dell XPS 13 is a nice laptop.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Having had both, I'll never go back to a Windows machine.
Just the freedom from Virus is refreshing, but the intuitive nature of the system is enjoyable.
I don't want to understand how a computer works, I just want to use one.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
You can't beat Apple for customer service and ability to diagnose and fix any problem. You can go in to any Apple store in North America for advice and service or just to recharge your phone or MacBook Air (and I've been into one in Paris too.)
Old 06-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In some ways this is no different than the hitch debates or the truck debates. I use Apple so I recommend Apple. Indeed if you spend as much on a Win 10 machine as you do on an Apple laptop, you get a pretty good Win 10 machine. Even within the Apple empire, money talks. The more you spend on memory, the longer the gizmo is likely to keep you happy. Graphics and CPU also count, but most of my Mac's have run out of memory before they ran out of anything else. The days of field upgrades to laptops are long gone with Apple and pretty much gone on similar light weight / high performance stuff. Whatever you buy it with is what you will live with forever ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I had been a PC user from the day they were first available at work "mid-late" seventies?) until the day I retired in 1998.

But then, a retired high school teacher chum who was a devoted Apple user - and almost obnoxiously vocal about it (!) talked me into trying a Mac. Since his son worked for Apple in California and could get employee discounts, I decided to give one a try!

Been extremely happy with them ever since, and now we both have Macbook pros, iPhones, ipods, and iPads. !

For my current Macbook pro, I bought the fastest processor mst RAM, and most flash memory that I could get - no doubt I could have gotten by with less, but it is just the way I go to be sure I have what I need! Not so much extra $$ amortised over the life of the laptop.

I'll never be outspoken about them to extent my friend was, and I am sure todays PC's are nothing like the ones knew, but at this point I expect we'll stick with Macs unless something major changes the grand scheme of things - never say never!

Although quite a bit more expensive, we find them very well designed and made, dependable, and user friendly.

maybe I am a sucker for icons .... Apple? Airstream?

Perhaps there should be an Aristream edition with rivets.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
I've used both, and have to use Windows for work some; but my personal machines are Apple. At our current office I have 8 apples and 1 windows 10 machine. I'll let you guess which one didn't even make it a full year without requiring a full OS reinstall.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you only could have one computer, I'd suggest an Apple. Once you get past the learning curve, which is relatively short, they are reliable, responsive, and easy to use.
I had to nearly drag my wife kicking and screaming to try an Apple computer. She finally allowed me to purchase an elderly Macbook (2009 model) for her two Summers ago. Now, you couldn't pry her new Macbook Air out of her hands.
We got it as an open-box from Best Buy at a discount, with full factory warranty (which we never used). It's lightweight, quiet, reliable, and cool running. Battery life is between 9-11 hours. If you get one, get the 13" model.
I recently purchased a new Lenovo Z series Ideapad for the three Windows-only programs I have to use, and found it works surprisingly reliably. Battery life, not so much (maybe 4 hours--maybe), but I got spoiled by the Apples.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Apple.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
At work I am all day long on a PC and do excel based spreadsheets extensively, and also have some 3rd party vendor sites that work best with PC machines and keyboards.

At home, I have a MacBookAir and like it a lot Great size and weight, 0 issues with it in 2 years, long battery life, easy to travel with if needed, and does pretty much all I need to do personally.

I did get a $25 USB- CD/DVD drive so I can watch DVDs and quickly load music from our extensive collection.

Unless there is a real reason you need to crunch numbers in spreadsheets, there is no good reason to own a PC over a Mac.

If I wanted to work remotely I could install windows software on my Mac, but to do what I do on spreadsheets, I need 2 extra wide monitors anyway, so not worth the trouble.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
We love our Macs, not perfect, but wouldn't go back either. The only thing I'm truly annoyed with sometimes is iTunes. It's too big, and tries to do too much. I'm still using my wife's old 2009 MacBook Air and it does fine as long as I don't have too many windows open.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I'm an "all in" Apple guy. iMac desktop, MacBook Pro for travel, iPads, iPhone, Apple TV on the trailer and at home...all work together seamlessly and reliably.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Apple since 1990. At that time I was running DOS, Windows, Macs, Dec PDP-lls with several different operating systems (RT-11, RSX, RSTS and TSX+) and a Dec VAX with VMS.

I got sick and tired of helping my UK brother in law keep his Windows boxes running as the kids would load so much junk, debugging was a night mare. I finally told him two years ago, I was forgetting so much about Windows he needed someone local and versed in W10 or whatever.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I've used both platforms for work and personal use since the mid 1980's and most recently used various versions of Windows for work (Windows 95 through 7). When we started travelling four years ago I needed a laptop and switched to a MacBook Pro. No sign of trouble during that time. During the four years my wife has gone through one laptop (Toshiba or HP - not sure) and the second one ( a Toshiba) has gone in for major repairs. So I am definitely pleased with my purchase.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:58 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
At work I am all day long on a PC and do excel based spreadsheets extensively, and also have some 3rd party vendor sites that work best with PC machines and keyboards.

At home, I have a MacBookAir and like it a lot Great size and weight, 0 issues with it in 2 years, long battery life, easy to travel with if needed, and does pretty much all I need to do personally.

I did get a $25 USB- CD/DVD drive so I can watch DVDs and quickly load music from our extensive collection.

Unless there is a real reason you need to crunch numbers in spreadsheets, there is no good reason to own a PC over a Mac.

If I wanted to work remotely I could install windows software on my Mac, but to do what I do on spreadsheets, I need 2 extra wide monitors anyway, so not worth the trouble.

Excel for the Mac works just fine.

Also, I spent five years at a company doing a lot of programming for Windows and circuit board layout - both requiring Windows PC's. We bought Apple's and ran windows in VMWare and had no problems. In fact it was so much more reliable because we could keep a backup of the whole VM and when (not if) windows crashed completely, you could just throw that VM away and pull out the backup.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
the age old question, apple or Microsoft? laptop

Having been a Windows user for over 20 years, about 4 years ago I made the switch to Mac, and haven't looked back. Depending on your needs a Mac is a lot easier to use and maintain. I had Quicken for Windows so I still ran Windows on my Mac inside a virtual machine, but Quicken finally came out with a Mac version so the last reason I had to have Windows disappeared.

Windows laptops are generally cheaper, but keeping Windows up to date can become a drag. Mac now includes its word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software free, so consider that. And you can usually keep a Mac a lot longer than a Windows machine. But you'll pay more for it up front. Whatever you get, get one with a solid state drive (SSD) and not a spinning hard drive. That feature alone will make whatever you get a lot faster.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Windows laptops are generally cheaper, but keeping Windows up to date can become a drag.
Things have changed a lot in this regard (keeping Windows up-to-date ) in the past 4 years, just so you know.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:27 AM   #18
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Windows is cheaper at purchase, Mac is cheaper in the long run. The MAC is physically durable, does software upgrades easier, and includes a lot of things you'd have to buy separately for Windows. If you live near an Apple Store there's no arguing that the support is great too.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Any laptop with an SSD will seem faster because the laptop will access data much faster than a 5400rpm drive (typical for laptops).

I've been an Apple user since 1984 except for a short period in the 90s when I purchased a Dell desktop to play around with flight simulators.

The nice thing about current Macs if you need to run a Windows only program you can run Windows on a Mac using VMWare or Parallels and a licensed copy of Windows.

Macs aren't perfect and I haven't had any major issues with them, I've never had to send one in for repair. You'll pay more but the Apple support is top notch as is the build quality of the machines.

If you are close to an Apple Store, authorized retailer or Best Buy go and play with them. You can get refurbished models from Apple which will save you some money and have the same warranty. Most users experiences from what I've read are excellent with refurbished units, you can't tell them from new units.

Also you decision about which applications you need is important. If you run a lot of Windows only programs then a Mac may not be the best choice.

Good luck

Kelvin
Old 06-26-2017, 05:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Windows is cheaper at purchase, Mac is cheaper in the long run. The MAC is physically durable, does software upgrades easier, and includes a lot of things you'd have to buy separately for Windows. If you live near an Apple Store there's no arguing that the support is great too.
Another viewpoint for these points.

Cheaper: That's one of the problems and why Windows has gotten a bad reputation. People buy these cheap PCs that were subsidized by the manufactures putting a bunch of crapware on the computer that you don't want or need. That awful software would just slow down the computer or worse, cause you to get viruses. Get a signature PC or something like a Surface.

Durability and updates: Again, buy quality and make sure Windows is configured for auto-updates. It can't get much easier than that. And before you say, yeah, but Windows updates can mess up your computer, see above. Don't install crap software. I haven't had a Windows update break anything for over 10 years.

What's included: That really depends on how you use your computer and what you want to do. There is a lot included in Windows, and I mean with the OS, not that crap software that you should not install. There is also some other software that you would have to pay extra for, but not everyone needs those things, and if they do, paying for a fully featured application is probably worth it.

Not that there is anything wrong with choosing Apple, but it's not all gloom and doom with Windows. I've used both and prefer Windows.