Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Apple
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #42
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
The Macs look better in the Airstream! (and also outside it)

We have used both over the years - we have become an all Apple family, partly to minimise the virus/hacking exposure (minimise not eliminate...) we run Outlook on the macs for spreadsheets etc. The macs match our airstream both inside and out, and are nice and flat and compact, and they "play well" with our phones and ipad.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #43
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Get the Mac, then install one of many software's like Parallels to install Windows.

I own a MacBook Pro, and I installed Parallels that runs windows whenever I need it.

You can also use the Mac built-in feature called Bootcamp which will let you choose OS you want to use.

Parallels allows you to have both operating systems ON at the same time (will slow your computer down due to sharing computer resources). Where as the Bootcamp will only let you run one or the other using the full power of the computer.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
This thread got a lot of responses quickly so this is probably a repeat of the other very good input. It depends a lot on how you will use it. There are still applications that only run in a windows environment so be sure to review that as it will make your decision pretty quick and easy if you depend on this category of application. Not that it matters to anyone else but for context I have two types of operating systems that I use through an average week - Apple's MacOS and Windows 10 (my work computer), plus I have an Ubuntu (Unix) netbook that I use on occasion mostly to learn about Ubuntu and Unix. These are in addition to an iPad (Apple) and an iPhone. Each has its plusses and minuses. Bottom line - if you use a computer as a screen to read email, read the latest news in a browser, do Google searches, and make purchases online a netbook or an inexpensive windows machine works great. For the Ubuntu machines, they are relatively inexpensive are nearly 100% immune to viruses and are fast response times overall. MS Windows is still subject to viruses but a good protection program will help a lot as well as not clicking "yes" or a link in the body of any email for the most part. Again - it's just me and my personal decision - but I went Apple years ago to escape the world of viruses with at the time two teens in the house (I was rebuilding the OS on our computers from the ground up literally once a week) and have not looked back. But - Apple is not for everyone. It's just like BurgerKing and McDonald's - neither is for everyone and there are plenty of people that patronize both and get about the same exact final result. Another thing to look into is handheld devices - for web surfing, email tracking, paying bills, and online purchases I use my iPad constantly. The iPad lasts for days on a charge and is priced right but not fun to type on. Bottom line for me - I leave for a camping trip with three must haves - my iPad, iPhone and Verizon hotspot. I have an AppleTV installed in the trailer (that's for another time / thread - oh and of course I take my Kindle for reading books & at least one iPod for music). I leave the MacBook and windows machines at home ....
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
I have had both, I'm back to Apple now and I shall stay here. I very much disliked the last windows that Microsoft put out, Windows 10. Had it for six months and still could not get the hang of it. My Asus laptop was dying, so I called one of my bonus sons and told him what I was looking for. 5 days later he sent me 5 links, I compared them all and chose the Apple I liked best that was also inexpensive. Open box and or used. I paid under $900 for it. Works like a dream! No virus problem is just icing on the cake. I will admit that after so many years of PC use that going back to a Mac is a bit of a learning curve. I also realize now that Microsoft is attempting to copy Apple in their windows, and doing so very poorly.

My first computer was a used MAC SE and it was so easy, completely intuitive. But when I saved enough money I went with a PC on my BiL's advice. As I became more knowledgeable, I worked at Office Depot, my next computers were PC. Microsoft was known for Windows being lousy every other release. I last had windows 7, Window 8 sucked HUGELY, so when I was forced to take 10 I figured I was ok. NOT.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My simple comment is "Don't make me use a pencil". I'm perfectly happy on Mac or PC, and for serious travel carry a Dell ruggedized laptop that can be dropped a minimum of 10 feet from an airplane to the tarmac. It's solid state, won't rust, bust, or collect dust and is water-resistant. Or I sit down in front of one of many Apple products. It matters not. I speak computer fluently.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
So we are windows and android based and don't know enough to know we need better or different and this seems to be working just fine for us for now.

Question:
For those of you that use both ie say at work is one system and home is another do you have a hard time with the constant switching.

Question:
When I (android) get a text from an I phone user containing photos/images the photos seem to load in a slide/video type format and I can never save those. Any hints for that.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
So we are windows and android based and don't know enough to know we need better or different and this seems to be working just fine for us for now.

Question:
For those of you that use both ie say at work is one system and home is another do you have a hard time with the constant switching.

Question:
When I (android) get a text from an I phone user containing photos/images the photos seem to load in a slide/video type format and I can never save those. Any hints for that.

What an exciting thread! Before I attempt to answer one of your questions I recommend calculating the payload numbers on your laptop before committing to any external drives/peripherals you may attach to it . Regarding the hitch set-up....uhhhhhh cords, in this case.....I'm sure there are other threads you can reference ! In the case of plugging the cord into the laptop I don't recommend grease. Ha!

Okay, seriously. How about going to a Best Buy or similar store if there is one near you and trying out a Mac to see if it thrills you? If it does not thrill you and none of the other reasons that folks have listed sway you then most certainly stay with a PC which you are comfortable with. As you mentioned in your original post, you like what you have just fine.

In terms of switching between PC and Mac operating systems I never found it to be an issue (used all PCs at work and all Macs at home). I'm sorry I can't answer your other question.

By the way, our house is Mac only and I tow our Airstream with a Tundra but while both work well for my desires/needs I just as frequently, or more frequently, recommend other computers, trailers, and vehicles. We are lucky indeed to have so many choices of products these days and what works well for one person can be less than ideal for another.

Thanks for the entertaining discussion!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Hmmm, red wine or white? Shall I stew the potatoes or roast them? Is it better to buy a house or rent one? Kubota or John Deere? Fiction or non-fiction? I guess these are all as relevant to Airstreams as Apple or Microsoft, right?
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Hmmm, red wine or white? Shall I stew the potatoes or roast them? Is it better to buy a house or rent one? Kubota or John Deere? Fiction or non-fiction? I guess these are all as relevant to Airstreams as Apple or Microsoft, right?

If there were sub forums within the AS forum devoted to wine, potato cuisine, real estate, tractors, or literature you might have a point. Since there are not this post is just asinine.

Staying connected while airstreaming IS relevant to the AS community and the OP asked advice regarding a device they intend to use in their AS, so I repeat - your post is just asinine.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #51

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post

Question:

Question:
I'll answer your question in that the business community is still pretty much Windows based. In that realm if you are a heavy Windows user at work, it probably slows down the learning curve on the Mac side. On the other hand it also presents some interesting challenges on interfacing some of the applications that run on your Windows equipment when working from home. Some IT departments will provide you no support and tell you are on your own, others that are more enlightened do recognize that they would rather help you connect from home with your Mac, and will provide support on how to interface with your network and apps at work.

My last employer did give me options to connect my Mac at home with my Windows desktop at work. That way I was able to remotely access my Windows desktop from my home Mac. Worked great. We also were able to directly connect with our Microsoft Exchange server which allowed me to interface mail, and calendar with the Apple supplied applications.

In some cases I felt that some of the standard Apple supplied software was better than what was on my Windows equipment. It wasn't unusual for me to bring my Mac from home and use it whenever I was doing presentations to different departments within our institution.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
After 16 years in I T support I suggest this- backup your files and personal info. To an external drive or cloud, or even DVDs.
Do a Microsoft Windows refresh and let the system files reload and update, or a complete new Windows install. You will be surprised at the speed you gain. Check out your physical RAM to be sure it is sufficient which it likely is.
I for one am not impressed with Apple, would rather have a Chromebook, and have managed 500 of them at a time.
My personal Toshiba Laptop is 7 years old, did a refresh recently, it runs like new.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:12 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
I looked at your profile and saw you are a self-employed small business owner. That makes things easier and harder depending on how big you are. As a chimney sweep company I'll guess you use some kind of dispatch, tracking and accounting software or a combo of both. Having programmed in most major languages since the early 80's delivering business solutions and the platforms they required, run IBM mid-ranges, dBase, UNIX, PICK, Tandy and still have my very first IBM PC double drive with 8087 coprocessor, I'll say that your question can't be answered because you haven't explained what you want the computer for.

If you can shift your business software to a web platform such as going Quickbooks enterprise on a Rightnetworks server system then your computers become mere terminals and web surfers and you can use either Mac or PC. Most college kids just use Google apps for spreadsheets and word processing so the whole Mac vs PC boils down to which feels better to use as you won't be running real software on them. If you have Apple iPhones and iPads then a Mac makes things easier.

Today's PC and Mac are pretty solid. I've crashed both systems and I'd only own a Dell for PC due to service issues with the other brands. I've built, rebuilt, repaired and trashed most major and long gone brands. The new drives make the RAM issue a footnote to history.

All that said. I use windows for work because they are demonstratively faster and Mac for personal. My iPad gets most of the work done anyway as the app world has merged the business needs quite well.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:19 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks for the unbiased opinions. Was wondering if you purchase an APPLE computer, must you also use protective software like Kaspersky? jd
delongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #55

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongj View Post
Thanks for the unbiased opinions. Was wondering if you purchase an APPLE computer, must you also use protective software like Kaspersky? jd
Apple's aren't virus proof. Keep in mind that they have vulnerabilities also and there is virus protection on the market for Apple Mac's. The reason you have lots of viruses on Windows equipment is that the creeps who write this software can inflict more damage to the Windows market based on the number of Windows systems out there. Why screw around with the small Mac world when you can inflict more damage to Windows users.

In my situation I've been using my Mac computers for over 10 years and have not used virus protection software. Personally I've never met or talked to a Mac user who has experienced a Mac virus. Technically I could pass a Windows virus on by forwarding an infected email attachment. I do run my network with firewalls up, both on my router and on the Mac itself. That in itself will not prevent me totally from getting a virus though if it is written to attack a Mac. Since my iMac is a dual boot machine and can run Windows or Mac OS, I do run virus protection on the Windows side.

I hate running virus software since it always seems to have a performance drag. I had Kapersky on my Windows PC that I used at work. It was a real drag on performance. A lot of Windows virus software products are also like virus' themselves in that you may have a heck of a time removing them if you decide to change virus software products. I remember that pieces of Norton left behind after deinstalling it caused problems with Kapersky. It was a bear to get rid of those remnants.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongj View Post

There are some good, Free mac antivirus tools such as Sophos - but I don't find them necessary. The built in OS protection is quite good and warns the user about suspicious files and executables.

Another bonus is you don't have IE, which is probably the single biggest vulnerability of Windows.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #57
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
A bit grumpy this morning?
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #58
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
I disagree. I've found that the high end MacBook pros are everybit as well equipped as the similarly priced high end Dell or Lenovo's. At the same time they are generally much lighter and thinner, and the power adapter isn't a giant brick.
Hi

Ok, let's look at the numbers:

Big workstation laptop has a 17" screen. Mac tops out at 15".

Big workstation laptop has at least two removable drives. Mac has none.

Big workstation laptop has removable memory for upgrades. Mac has none.

Big workstation laptop has removable batteries for long run time. Mac has none

Big workstation laptop has a dock so you can run it as a triple monitor desktop. Not so with the Mac.

Big workstation laptop comes with whatever the current top end CPU's are. Mac is a bit behind the curve there.

I'm not talking about a normal windows laptop here. The sort of beast I'm talking about costs more than my loaded Mac Book Pro. The stupid thing weights more (and is larger than) three Mac Books. The *only* reason you would run one is because you need run programs that are *very* resource hungry. When I traveled, the workstation machine only went along if I absolutely needed to do that on site. If I could work out any way not to haul it, it stayed home. I'm not claiming it's a better personal laptop. To say it's not more powerful / better equipped simply is incorrect.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Garmin has had a complete set of programs for a Mac for many years to do route planning and updating of maps on any of the seven Garmin devices I have, some being nearly ten years old.

The reality in South America and Asia is their Windows machines run version 7. The negative issues with the later releases they avoid. However their security is virtually non-existent today as most security software has migrated to the later releases because they have to be there for all the security loop holes that have continued in one form or another from day one at Microsoft.

Thus the every Tuesday software updates schedule to fix the new bugs they created last week across their complete software portfolio.

Besides VMWare and Parallels which run as a virtual host, there is Crossover for the Mac which is not creating a virtual environment and works for many mainstream software applications.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:04 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ok, let's look at the numbers:

Big workstation laptop has a 17" screen. Mac tops out at 15".

Big workstation laptop has at least two removable drives. Mac has none.

Big workstation laptop has removable memory for upgrades. Mac has none.

Big workstation laptop has removable batteries for long run time. Mac has none

Big workstation laptop has a dock so you can run it as a triple monitor desktop. Not so with the Mac.

Big workstation laptop comes with whatever the current top end CPU's are. Mac is a bit behind the curve there.

I'm not talking about a normal windows laptop here. The sort of beast I'm talking about costs more than my loaded Mac Book Pro. The stupid thing weights more (and is larger than) three Mac Books. The *only* reason you would run one is because you need run programs that are *very* resource hungry. When I traveled, the workstation machine only went along if I absolutely needed to do that on site. If I could work out any way not to haul it, it stayed home. I'm not claiming it's a better personal laptop. To say it's not more powerful / better equipped simply is incorrect.

Bob
Some of your points are valid and some are not. Upgradeable RAM and SSD is a valid point, but you can configure your Macbook Pro with 16GB and 1TB and it's enough for 99% of people. Thinking back over the years I always bought a new Macbook Pro with top specs and kept it 3-4 years. During that time I rarely needed to upgrade RAM, and only one time changed out HD's, and that was to go to SSD from the spin disk it came from.

Dock point is not correct - there are a number of docks available, and USB-C with Thunderbolt supports daisy chaining, so in effect some monitors become the port replicator for you without requiring a special dock.

Yes, 15" instead of 17" - but I guess they decided that since you could drive 2 5k displays or 3 4k displays, the 15" would be more portable. As you yourself stated - you tried to avoid taking the laptop with you as much as possible - well if you setup a workstation with 2-3 large monitors, and high speed, high capacity NAS RAID or Thunderbolt RAID, you've got all the storage and capacity you need; but still a portable machine when you need it.

No replacement battery - but 10 hour life, so...

I stand by original statement. If you configure a top end Dell or Lenovo to match a top end Macbook Pro, you'll find they are "ridiculously more expensive" as some have alleged.