Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I switched from Windows to Mac about 4 years ago. did not plan to, but my son gave me a desktop MAC for Christmas. Both work fine. For internet and running most programs running either one seems the same. The only disappointment to me for the MAC is that I cannot find a decent, inexpensive CAD program. I ordered the same one I was using on the Windows machine for the MAC. It is completely different and written by a different developer. Any body know of a couple of hundred or less dollar drafting program for the MAC? The MAC version of Quicken is not as capable as the Windows either, but I was not using the features that did not transfer. I think the MACs are a good bit more expensive than the Windows machines for about the same capability. Certainly nicely designed for looks and portability. Nice displays.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
WOW lot of advice both ways but it "seems" apple wins out this time.

I am currently using my daughters mac book air and other than a few thing they seem like the same machine I have not done more than use for internet search on google and forums like airforums and ford trucks sites. I don't use this for business that is on the desktop my office manager/ wife uses for now.. We plan to sell business and go full time in 2-3 years.

My laptop is running win 7 pro version but much slower. I got a airstream for the quality build and it seem I might do the same with laptops. I just hate to spend sooo much on a laptop but I, like others have noted, have decided that quality is worth the extra we spend on things, plus like an airstream MacBooks are COOL..

and we all want to be cool.. thanks
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
WOW lot of advice both ways but it "seems" apple wins out this time.

I am currently using my daughters mac book air and other than a few thing they seem like the same machine I have not done more than use for internet search on google and forums like airforums and ford trucks sites. I don't use this for business that is on the desktop my office manager/ wife uses for now.. We plan to sell business and go full time in 2-3 years.

My laptop is running win 7 pro version but much slower. I got a airstream for the quality build and it seem I might do the same with laptops. I just hate to spend sooo much on a laptop but I, like others have noted, have decided that quality is worth the extra we spend on things, plus like an airstream MacBooks are COOL..

and we all want to be cool.. thanks

If you are using this for browsing and using internet applications, you Don't need a fast powerful laptop. A decent Mac or PC will browse and run JavaScript just fine.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
So a Mac? Need a Mac...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ok, let's look at the numbers:

Big workstation laptop has a 17" screen. Mac tops out at 15".

Big workstation laptop has at least two removable drives. Mac has none.

Big workstation laptop has removable memory for upgrades. Mac has none.

Big workstation laptop has removable batteries for long run time. Mac has none

Big workstation laptop has a dock so you can run it as a triple monitor desktop. Not so with the Mac.

Big workstation laptop comes with whatever the current top end CPU's are. Mac is a bit behind the curve there.

I'm not talking about a normal windows laptop here. The sort of beast I'm talking about costs more than my loaded Mac Book Pro. The stupid thing weights more (and is larger than) three Mac Books. The *only* reason you would run one is because you need run programs that are *very* resource hungry. When I traveled, the workstation machine only went along if I absolutely needed to do that on site. If I could work out any way not to haul it, it stayed home. I'm not claiming it's a better personal laptop. To say it's not more powerful / better equipped simply is incorrect.

Bob
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #65
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Garmin has had a complete set of programs for a Mac for many years to do route planning and updating of maps on any of the seven Garmin devices I have, some being nearly ten years old.
Thanks, Garmin has pretty much forced everyone over to Basecamp for route planning. I figured they would have a version that would work with Apple. My fear is that many of the tracks (trips) I want to download will all be windows based files. If I can convert all of them, without errors, to a Apple laptop, I'll be fine. I'll contact Garmin before I buy my next laptop. It might be easier just to buy a cheap windows based laptop, just to run Basecamp, and share files..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #66
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Road Trip Planner for Mac (Use with Garmin GPS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Thanks, Garmin has pretty much forced everyone over to Basecamp for route planning. ...
There are alternatives.

Instead of Garmin Basecamp I use a great trip planning app on my MacBook Air called Road Trip Planner, This has a lot of features that make planning easy. For example, you can set your speed (mine is less than Apple Maps predicts) so that your ETA is more realistic.

Once the route and POIs are created in the app, I can then export at GPX file to the computer that includes all of the waypoints.

I also use another web application called POI Factory that has a huge catalogue of POIs that I can download individual files that interest me.

I put all of the RTP GPX file, and the POI files that I have collected into one folder, then use the free Garmin Mac software called 'Garmin POI Loader' to create a custom POI file that is now ready to install on my GPSr. For the car (which is a Garmin based in-dash unit) I put the custom file onto a USB stick and install it that way. For my portable Garmin GPS I connect it to my computer with a USB cable and then I can transfer the POI file to it too.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Our family uses Mac products along with Intego anti-virus which was a recommendation from our IT manager at work (who loves the apple products). No computer is free from the world of viruses.
I have my hands in both worlds - use a Windows machine at work and Macbook Pro at home. I use the windows machine for longer periods of time so I am more adept in using it over the Mac. I find some things much easier to use on the Windows such as navigating between programs. I use MS Office for Mac on my home machine. It seems much easier to use than the equivalent Apple products but this can be attributed to my years of use of the MS Office on a Windows machine for work.
My Mac has a retina screen and solid state drive. These two items alone make it a pleasure to use. I also like how the iphone, ipad, macbook and apple tv all integrate together. Once you get through the initial learning curve these items all seem to work relatively well together. The older I get the less time and patience I have for fiddling around with electronic gizmo's which is another reason I got into the Mac world.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I have my hands in both worlds - use a Windows machine at work and Macbook Pro at home. I use the windows machine for longer periods of time so I am more adept in using it over the Mac. I find some things much easier to use on the Windows such as navigating between programs. I use MS Office for Mac on my home machine. It seems much easier to use than the equivalent Apple products but this can be attributed to my years of use of the MS Office on a Windows machine for work.
I have been PC based all my life from dos to w7. To parallel work (not retired) I run Office 2013 including outlook on the home dell laptop. I have many doc/docx & xls/xlsx files that I would like to continue to open/edit (without using a converter program) if I convert to Mac, actual device device not determined but likely a laptop.

I presume that there is a Mac version of office that would allow continuity?

Thanks
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Yes - I have the Mac version of MS-Office. A few slight differences in the program interface but it will be able to use all of your past Office documents. I use the standard email program included with the Mac.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/28/21-of...ac-to-windows/
21% of Windows users plan to switch to Mac, says survey – against 2% Mac to Windows

9to5Mac - 5h*ago

The number was higher among Windows desktop users, where a full quarter planned to make the switch to Mac within the next 6-24 months. Unsurprisingly*..
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
google docs is compatible with MS Office Word , etc. It is also free
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #72
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I just discovered one huge advantage Windows computers have over Apple computers.

When you drop a Windows laptop down the stairs and it smashes into a bazillion pieces, it doesn't cost as much to replace it...
Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

Thanks
Bob
There is an official Microsoft Office for Mac. Interesting differences many people aren't aware of - Word and Excel loose the VB.NET scripting capabilities; BUT PowerPoint for Mac has a number of animations and effects that don't appear in any other versions.

I use Mac Office a lot, and have for years. Work great. Apple's Pages and Numbers take some getting used to, and even though I love most Apple products I've never made the switch to the iWorks suite.

Other solutions are Google - and OpenOffice.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #74

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Easy

Apple
DDickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Apple
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #76
1 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Free Classes at Apple

I was a PC guy for 30+ years and fell in love with my iPhone which slowly showed me the light and now I am 100% Apple! I've never looked back at NEVER regretted the switch. The biggest value to Me is the UNLIMITED free classes on any product and any software . You might even consider the new iPad Pro just announced a couple weeks ago… The iPad Pro has become so powerful it is a possible replacement for the laptop computer. It even offers free Windows Word & Excell In addition to the Apple Pages add Apple Numbers. You will never regret the switch!!!
RLWardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:34 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Spoil Yourself

I have the latest current iPad Pro. I've been a Apple/Mac addict since they pretty much came online. Pricey - Yes! However, Once you really get one you'd never want to use anything else! As to the free Microsoft Word and Excell, you now get directed to get a collection of Microsoft software called "365" for use on the iPad Pro. The greatest thing about my retirement from the corporate life was NEVER being forced to use PC/DOS computers. However, Dell does build a great product if you just can't afford (or refuse) to treat yourself to a better lifestyle of computing.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:07 AM   #78
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Google Docs or Open Office will easily handle those files and you can convert them back to MS files if you need to. We switched to Google docs years ago simply because it is so easy to share and can be accessed anywhere with internet.

PS. My wife and I would be lost without Google Keep!
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote