Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Stupid wifi snatching and spreading thingies...

I have been muddling along with a Peplink Pepwave SOTG AP since about October, it has been a little hit and miss for me...

easy to set up
WAW (wireless as wan)

Dislikes:
slow to connect...
Does not handle 4G/3G roll over well
My work laptop refuses to stay connected! (Big ass problem! all my personal stuff is fine)
Not great for streaming video internally
Not great at streaming music outside the AS.

Around Feb time, I took a chance on a cheap TP Link MR34020

on/off switch
good range for streaming video/music
good throughput

Dislikes:
Tricky to set up as WAW - actually I gave up
4G/3G rollover is ok...
last 2 firmware updates break the 4G modem support for my 551L so I have to run an old firmware that does not let me see the signal strength of the 4G

I have basically been using the SOTG when I have campsite wifi and the TP-link for the 4G. Switching them over is a ball ache!

Today I decided to spend out on a Peplink SOHO. I am basically taking a punt on this, it is my last try before dropping $$$$ on a cradlepoint...

So questions:
1. Has anyone had issues with the SOTG or SOHO? particularly in relation to stupid DELL laptops staying connected!!

2. Anyone got a cradle point MBR1400, how is that working out for you?

3. What are you using for WAW or 4G routing? - other than hotspots from your phone or wifi type solutions, for various reasons I am trying to stay away from those solutions...
Old 07-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
On the SOHO when connected to your MIFI disable the other two services for faster speeds.

I connect my Verizon Mifi directly to the SOHO via USB. I only do Wifi as WAN very rarely.

Do you have an external antenna for any of this? I'll be honest, the bigger systems are really over priced for what they are. I spec'd out a Wifi Ranger, it's not an impressive router. Despite the hype, it's pretty generic, whoopie they included an antenna. $129 gets you the soho with all the same features, add wire and antenna's and still come out 400 less.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Yeah, agreed with the Ranger. I did look at that back in October and could not work out why it cost so much!

I have a pair of 9.5" surreal omni on the roof. I have 2 as I wanted them mounted low but needed to mitigate the blind spot the AC unit creates. This give me a good chance of have line of sight to wifi or 4G.. then I just switch the connectors between the booster and router.

Looks like the SOHO needs 2 antennas plugged into it to get nay benefit from the externals, I wonder if I can use 1 external and 1 internal...

Thanks for the tip on disabling the other services. My biggest criticism of the SOTG is it was slow.... If I had the 4G connected to it then it just dragged.... but when plugged straight into the computer it was lightning!

Looks like the SOHO will arrive next week, should be an easy install.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Yeah, the SOHO will move slow if it's trying to look for LAN and WAN while tethered to the Mifi, but once I learned that it's fast. You can use an internal and external to pick up stray signals. We picked up really fast wifi in Vogel State Park using the SOHO. I have an external Surecall wifi antenna, regular pole antenna inside for it. And then my Mifi is tethered via USB, it sits in a Wilison cradle booster. (Now WeBoost) and that goes to an omni on the roof.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Sounds really similar to my set up.

I have the 2 external antennas, one connected to a Wilson 4G booster, the other for the now SOHO. I will have my 4G USB stick on a 3ft lead away from the SOHO closer to the 4G booster internal antenna, then I will use a smaller internal antenna for the other SOHO antenna port.

Hopefully my work DELL laptop will play nice...
Old 07-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Bold, what mifi do you have? I may have to change from my U551L to a new device...
Old 07-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
SOHO... is that like a MOFO...or... I will stop here... I know these hack-kro-nimz (acronyms) are handy.. but would appreciate defining at least once in the thread...

Give Peas a Chance..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Here you go, Channing:

What Is a SOHO Router (and Network)?
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Well it is called the Pepwave SOHO

I'm using the Verizon MHS291LVW jetpack. We have the Drive 4G-M in our truck, but I might need to move it to the Airstream. Or just buy another. The cradle has been good, but my wive occasionally needs to make phone calls.

This week at Devils Tower, our phones are no service, but the jetpack is LTE 4G

I posted in another thread a picture of my ceiling mounted omni internal wifi antenna. It's the kind they use in office buildings. Wanted a clean install and to hide the mifi and router.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thank YOU, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thanks Bold!!!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
For external antennas, how are you routing the lead in cable?

I prefer a permanently mounted antenna but am concerned on how to get the lead in cable through the shell.

Will settle for a temporary setup-up using a pole with the lead in cable coming in through a side storage area hatch but am looking for ideas on how to mount/secure the mast.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Greg, I paid the dealership to install the antennas! So they ran cable over the roof and then cut a hole to pass the cables in above the dinette and patched it all up
Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 International 684
Koeln , NRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
For external antennas, how are you routing the lead in cable?

I prefer a permanently mounted antenna but am concerned on how to get the lead in cable through the shell.

Will settle for a temporary setup-up using a pole with the lead in cable coming in through a side storage area hatch but am looking for ideas on how to mount/secure the mast.

Greg
I have both a wifi directional antenna and a mobile antenna mounted to a mast. The mast has been fitted by my AS dealer, it is basically the same approach used for the DVB-T antenna which came with my AS (not sure they are used in the US). Cables are going through the mast. The mast can be both rotated and moved up and down. It is a perfect solution from my point of view (and not expensive). It is even possible to add additional antennas later without adding new holes...

- Harry
Attached Images

Harry911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
The SOHO arrived today. My word this is so much better!

The device itself is just so much more responsive, applying changes takes moments! My crappy work laptop connectsand stays connected. the WAW works, the 4G speed is there!

I am much happier already.

I am a little miffed that I did not get this initially, the SOTG was a little cheaper and that is why I went for it, but I feel like the SOHO is a different league.

Next week will be the true test though.... When I am working from the AS for the week.