Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #1

2008 25' International CCD
Richmond , Virginia
Source for satellite dish bracket?

Hi all! I'm a newb. I did a search to try and find existing answers to this question, but no luck. So apologies if this has been answered somewhere before, and thanks in advance!

We bought a used Hughesnet dish, antenna, modem, cables and tripod off of eBay. However, we do not have... a bracket?... to connect the dish to the antenna, and then mount all of that on the tripod. I have been surfing the web for days and have had a heck of a time getting a lead on a bracket, much less what kind of bracket would fit the system we have. I wrote down every number I could find off of the dish and the antenna, but can't seem to find a source that will help me match a bracket to the information that I have. Do you know of any resources I can use to source a bracket, so I can finally get this mobile internet party up and running? Thank you SO MUCH.
Silverbeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #2

Richmond , Virginia
Unhappy AZ/EL cap

Ok, I figured out the name of the part - the AZ/EL cap.

I cannot find this part for sale by itself anywhere. Can anyone help? Any tips? Sources? I'm going crazy looking!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Try Hughesnet. At least in theory, they should have an azimuth/elevation bracket.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you can not get one from Directv and this is what you are looking for less the L&B I would sell it for $25.00 S&H included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	67830  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
You might want to call Hughesnet immediately to find out whether you can activate this equipment. Sat companies are very picky about used equipment and will not activate any equipment except their new installs. Also, are you trying to have sat. internet, or sat TV. They are two different dishes and set up entirely.
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
ncbambi
thanks REALLY GOOD INFO
We are having problems with our old tv antenna and are thinking of goin sat. I didn't know TV and Internet took two different antennas.
thanks
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
There are sat/internet sat dishes on the market. However, hughesnet is sat/internet only. We have hughesnet sat/internet in NC, since we did not have cable or DSL. The RV industry has many dishes to allow sat TV and internet and are going through changes since HD in the mix. TracStar and others have combos of both, or you can get Sat only with HD.

Campingworld is a good source. It just depends on how much you want to spend, etc. Trying to initiate used equipment is always fun. Then you have to determine weather you are going DISH or DirectTV, they have their own receivers that you would connect to the satellite. Now that there are great HD antennas, why go sat (digital) when you can get great TV in most areas free.

Enough said, good luck on getting it all to install and work.
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
ncbambi
thanks REALLY GOOD INFO
We are having problems with our old tv antenna and are thinking of goin sat. I didn't know TV and Internet took two different antennas.
thanks
Roger
If you consider Sat. for your trailer do not go with a roof mounted antenna unless you are sure you are going to camp in a field. Roof systems cost considerably more than a free standing one and limit where you can camp. Not worth it.

If you are only interested in the local channels, no sat channels, just go with a new converter box for digital. The signal is better than sat. and is free.

As for internet it is rapidly becoming cheaper just to have an internet card in your computer. There are still a few dead zones but the speed is better in those areas that are covered.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
"it is rapidly becoming cheaper just to have an internet card in your computer"

I haven't seen anything cheaper than $55-60 per mth. Are there better prices available now for computer/cell internet?

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbeet View Post
We bought a used Hughesnet dish, antenna, modem, cables and tripod off of eBay. However, we do not have... a bracket?... to connect the dish to the antenna, and then mount all of that on the tripod..
I am pretty sure I have the diagram for one of those. You will need to have that part fabricated. Send me a pvt message and I will email you the diagram.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw View Post
"it is rapidly becoming cheaper just to have an internet card in your computer"

I haven't seen anything cheaper than $55-60 per mth. Are there better prices available now for computer/cell internet?

Tom
Last price I saw was Sat. Internet runs $90.00+ per month and is limited by line of sight and if Directv may also be limited to within the USA as they limit Sat. tv that way.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #12

Richmond , Virginia
@HowieE - thanks for the offer, but no, that is not what we are looking for. We have the antenna already. Just need an AZ/EL cap, which seems to be a bracket that bolts onto the back of the dish, supporting both the dish and the antenna and holding them attached to the tripod. The bolts are in a pentagonal shape.

Alas, since it has been so hard to source this one part, we are going to sell our HughesNet dish, antenna, modem, wires and tripod and go with a Starband system. We found a system through eBay, through seller 3dalmations3. The system is complete, so we shouldn't be looking for any parts, thank goodness. I am a little sketched out about the process, though. The seller seems to believe that eBay rules have changed, and that PayPal will not release funds until we leave feedback. The seller wants payment before they send the sat, and have asked us to leave feedback before we receive our purchase. Um, red flags?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Alas, since it has been so hard to source this one part, we are going to sell our HughesNet dish, antenna, modem, wires and tripod and go with a Starband system. We found a system through eBay, through seller 3dalmations3. The system is complete, so we shouldn't be looking for any parts, thank goodness. I am a little sketched out about the process, though. The seller seems to believe that eBay rules have changed, and that PayPal will not release funds until we leave feedback. The seller wants payment before they send the sat, and have asked us to leave feedback before we receive our purchase. Um, red flags?
BE REAL CAREFUL

There are no rules in E Bay or Pay Pal that suggest feedback be set before shipment. Look at his feedback history. The only reason someone would ask for this is he knows there are problems with his item.

Feedback is left after you are satisfied.

You can contact E Bay and get out of the contract with this requirement presented by the seller.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
@HowieE - thanks for the offer, but no, that is not what we are looking for. We have the antenna already. Just need an AZ/EL cap, which seems to be a bracket that bolts onto the back of the dish, supporting both the dish and the antenna and holding them attached to the tripod. The bolts are in a pentagonal shape.

My boss 'gave' me a DirecWay system (receiver, dish, etc.). I will look at it, and photograph, the dish portion to see if there is anything you might want off of it.

As far as ebay goes, don't deviate from what ebay has put in place. They will hold the funds. I have dealt with people that don't have a problem with that. If they do have a problem, beware.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I finally got a picture of the dish components. I have in my Flickr account (10/05/2008 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

I don't know if you are still interested, but if ANYONE is, let me know.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bracket, internet, satellite