Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
Satellite TV in Canada and USA?

Hi everybody,

I'm new here, I have been reading a little bit on the forum but couldn't find the information I need.
I just bought a 2010 Flying Cloud, I'm actually picking it up beginning of May. I'm from Vancouver and going to travel a bit in Canada and than in the US and I have heard that direct dish or Dish.com you need and US address to use the service which I don't have. I'm wondering with SHAW if I can get signal anywhere or if anybody from Canada know which company is best to deal with?

Same question for insurance, which company is best to use in Cancada? Have anybody heard of wayfarerinsurance.com?

Mel
Melimelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the AF Mel.

Shaw tells me that their signal is available anywhere in North America.
That said, they don't seem so sell the mobile antenna for automatic lock-on. I am still doing research on this and, I must admit, it is a low priority at this time.

Keep us updated if you find the answer.

For insurance, basic ICBC is mandatory for a powered unit, and I use BCAA for the extended.

Good Sam has a problem in Canada with liability insurance, only good on roadside insurance.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I can't help with the satellite TV since I get by with what ever shows up for free, but I can highly recommend Wayfarer Insurance. I have had numerous opportunities to call on them for assistance and they have always been extremely helpful. They have insured me at least for the past 10 years. Always polite and prompt.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You may want to go on some of the larger Motor home Forums and ask your question.

US satellite carries will not give you aiming information for traveling into Canada but I believe Canadian carries do supply that information for major cities in the US. You can always work off those.

I know several Canadians that use Direct while in the States. I use direct and can use it quite a ways into Canada by aiming off a US city south of where I am in Canada. Good for a couple hundred miles north of the border.

I think it come down to who's programing you want and then working it out. Maybe a PO box in Seattle would work for the billing.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Thank you guys for the info, I'm going to make so phone calls tomorrow and repost the info i got!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Shaw Direct is the best way to go I guess, I just have to buy one of those PVR at Best Buy and to get a satellite from Winegard. I only need to find a place to have it install now... For the insurance, I'm going to look at RV Direct Insurance because the one I previously mentioned if only available if you live in Ontario.
Satellite RV - Winegard TRAV'LER Automatic Mobile Shaw Direct HD Satellite Antenna
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you get your bills electronically and pay them the same way, how would they know (and why would they care) where you are?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Thanks for doing a bit more research on this.

Looking at the antenna, I will have to measure up the space left on the roof of the Clipper, as I just put up two more solar panels.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452252.pdf

Your location is determined by the system GPS and if you move any distance, you have to call in and get reauthorized?

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
The service I'm going to get from Shaw direct is from Vancouver, BC. Wathever channel package service you pay for per month is going to be the service you get in Canada, USA and Mexico. Since I like to watch the Quebec channels as well only available in Canada, it matters to me to get the service from here. I'm buying and having the satellite install in the US because Canada is to expensive.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Did SHAW give you a price on an antenna, or do you have to buy that from another vendor?

Dave
Old 04-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I just talked to Shaw Direct again today, and she tells me my existing mounted Winegard Sat. Dish will be just fine.
Only drawback is I have to manually aim it. She also tells me that all the channels will be available on the one new satellite that will be active approx. end of May.
For the price, I think I will try my existing dish first.

There is no charge for the installation of the home dish by their techs. Once set up at home, you just take your receiver with you in the RV and call in for authorization for each major move to a new location.

Dave
Old 04-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Did SHAW give you a price on an antenna, or do you have to buy that from another vendor?

Dave
I called Camping world and the automatic satellite sitting on the roof is $1800, $1000 less than in Canada. And they can install it for you as well which cost extra money. It's expensive but it's nice to have because it search for it's signal by itself and you don't have to call Shaw everytime you use it and no contract! but you have to pay for a channel package if course.
I do that because the trailer will be my home for a while... It's going to be nice not to pay for a mortgage anymore too!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Shaw is a good company to deal with, from what little experience I have had with them (BIL has their sat dish).

Re the auto antenna: if you are going to travel, I would leave it loose on a fairly long cable so you could park your TT without worrying if you will get reception (trees). Also to be able to limit vandalism in potentially sketchy areas.

And if you aren't going to travel, why get a fancy auto-seeking antenna?