Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It's all Greek to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi Marshall,

I took a look at the Winegard manual, see the attached pdf file, and it shows a cable in the back. I can see no reason for the dish feed not to work there. The manual says the when the unit is switched off the feed comes from the cable input and when it is on it comes from the antenna.

What I did and would recommend to you is to add a second outlet for the cable/dish feed and connect both to your dish tuner allowing it to receive signals from the antenna and the dish simultaneously.
FYI
Maybe the following info would help understand what I need:

I asked Winegard and was told I can not run a satellite signal through the signal amplifying wall plate, although I don't understand why not. They did say it would not do any damage only it wouldn't work. That's why I am thinking about an AB switch.

I am don't have any interest in recording.

My TV is a Sharp 19" LCD (not HD but digital) with built in DVD player. It is not mounted but stowed away when not in use. Likewise my dish receiver will be stowed when not in use. So, when I am watching a cable TV feed or a DVD I would not be using the receiver at all. In other words, when watching DVDs I don't need any additional feed. When watching TV I only need to be connected to the off air antenna and when watching satellite I only need to be connected to my dish and when watching cable I only need the cable feed. I have not messed around with a dish while camping yet but anticipate only setting it up when I am going to be at one site for a while.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
In that case, try hooking up to the cable feed. Just because the Winegard tech said that you couldn’t doesn’t necessarily make it so.

If it doesn’t work, I think the AB switch is a great solution.

That Winegard unit is an interesting one. It was completely off my radar. Thanks for bringing it up. I learned something today.

Let us know what you do and how it works.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The Zen of Tech Support

Quote:
In that case, try hooking up to the cable feed. Just because the Winegard tech said that you couldn’t doesn’t necessarily make it so.
and Master Po said
Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
and Master Po said
You have truly snatched the pebble, grasshopper!

Boy, are telling our ages.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #25
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large

Boy, this is turning into a saga!

PS, Marshal, good luck on the knee!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
If you place your pebble on the “Caravan to Cairo,” your are on the path to enlightment.

Hi Michael!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have an amplified Winegard, and used a Dish 500 dish and receiver in our trailer. I had a dedicated line from the dish to the barrel connector into the trailer, then to the receiver. From there, I ran the output from the receiver up to the Winegard antenna input/amplifier, and used it as "cable in". It worked fine. The antenna has to be turned off for the dish to work.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We have an amplified Winegard, and used a Dish 500 dish and receiver in our trailer. I had a dedicated line from the dish to the barrel connector into the trailer, then to the receiver. From there, I ran the output from the receiver up to the Winegard antenna input/amplifier, and used it as "cable in". It worked fine. The antenna has to be turned off for the dish to work.
Just what I thought.

Thanks Terry.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:

Boy, are telling our ages.
But I was so much older then I'm younger than that now
Old 04-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
Bring-along receiver

Am I to assume that I can pick up the receiver that I have at my MI summer cabin (DirecTV) and take it into my AS with the proper dish up above and pull the signal right in? How about internet service? I have the same service from HughesNet.

I would be nice if I could keep the service going on the road. Florida winter home has cable, so I'm out of luck with that one.

Frank
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Am I to assume that I can pick up the receiver that I have at my MI summer cabin (DirecTV) and take it into my AS with the proper dish up above and pull the signal right in? How about internet service? I have the same service from HughesNet.

I would be nice if I could keep the service going on the road. Florida winter home has cable, so I'm out of luck with that one.

Frank
Hi Frank,
I'm still trying to figure it out but, I think you should be able to take your receiver with you on your AS, but may not be able to get local channels. I assume the satellite internet would work too, but I am not sure.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have a Dish Network receiver in the shop that I put in the AS when I travel without any problems. I can't get network stations once I travel 75 miles east from the house. However, I don't consider that any kind of loss.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Item of interest

With all the interest here....this could be a whole subject to be covered at the ABQ Restoration Rally.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #34
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Adding Dishnetwork to our Airstream

I was in the process of asking a question when our over active rat terror jumped in my lap and punched either "return", "delete" or scramble. So I will try again.

I have the system set up in the driveway by the Airstream. I am using a Dish 500 dish from previous home use, two digital LNBs p/n 214-5100-402 and our DP301 receiver from the house.

So far so good. Everything hooks up correctly. The cables all work the azmuth and elevation are set. (I used a satellite finder)The "check switch" is redone to set it for the new set up instead of the old setup in the house. And I am receiving a signal and picture from satellite 119. Now the hard part (for me) how do I get satellite 110 to engage at the same time, without screwing up (technical term) what I already have. I saw, somewhere in the mists of the internet, an instruction, but of course it has disappeared. And took its bookmark with it.

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks, bill b.