Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
It sounds like you guys may be able to clear up a few more details for me. I am literally going out the door heading for arthroscopic knee surgery. I will get back in touch when I can.
__________________

__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
ScottW's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 759
Images: 2
I used an external tripod and dish for a few years. I got tired of getting wet when it was raining, dripping with sweat when it was hot, etc.

I finally installed a Winegard 'Travler' satellite ant on the top of the trailer. All I do now is push one button. All of the slewing and skewing is done automatically - locks up three satellites perfectly.

The trailer looks like it belongs to NASA when the dish is up. It is also fun to watch the thing in the search mode. Grab a cool one and walk outside for the show.
__________________

__________________
Rgds,
Scott
Air 16426

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
Grab a cool one and walk outside for the show.
I thought the whole point was to avoid going outside!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #18
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I thought the whole point was to avoid going outside!

-Marcus
But he can carry an umbrella and watch the show, or get drenched and be the show...
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Attn: Howie and Vswinfield and other techies

Maybe you can help me figure out if this will work. This is what I have to work with:
-Unamplifed Winegard Sensar antenna connected to a
-Winegard 7296 signal amplifier outlet plate (replaced OEM outlet plate, has 12v power outlet, 1 coaxial input jack, 1 coaxial cable TV input jack, 2 coaxial ouput jacks, 12 v amplifier on off switch)
-outside coaxial input jack connected to input jack on Winegard 7296

I want to be able to run either cable TV or satellite through my outside jack (at different times). Winegard tech says I can not run a satellite signal through the 7296 amplified outlet plate. If I put an AB switch in my coaxial cable upstream of the 7296 amplified outlet plate so that A will send a cable TV signal to and B will bypass the 7296 amplified outlet plate and send a satellite signal directly to my satellite receiver, will that setup work???

Thanks,
Marshall
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,773
Images: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Maybe you can help me figure out if this will work. This is what I have to work with:
-Unamplifed Winegard Sensar antenna connected to a
-Winegard 7296 signal amplifier outlet plate (replaced OEM outlet plate, has 12v power outlet, 1 coaxial input jack, 1 coaxial cable TV input jack, 2 coaxial ouput jacks, 12 v amplifier on off switch)
-outside coaxial input jack connected to input jack on Winegard 7296

I want to be able to run either cable TV or satellite through my outside jack (at different times). Winegard tech says I can not run a satellite signal through the 7296 amplified outlet plate. If I put an AB switch in my coaxial cable upstream of the 7296 amplified outlet plate so that A will send a cable TV signal to and B will bypass the 7296 amplified outlet plate and send a satellite signal directly to my satellite receiver, will that setup work???

Thanks,
Marshall
Hi Marshall,

I took a look at the Winegard manual, see the attached pdf file, and it shows a cable in the back. I can see no reason for the dish feed not to work there. The manual says the when the unit is switched off the feed comes from the cable input and when it is on it comes from the antenna.

What I did and would recommend to you is to add a second outlet for the cable/dish feed and connect both to your dish tuner allowing it to receive signals from the antenna and the dish simultaneously. You could buy a wall plate like shown here Decora wall plate single F Coax Coupler connector at Wal*Mart to get the fitting. Remove it and drill an extra hole in your Winegard plate and install the second fitting there. By having both connected at the same time you can record from both sources at the same time.

Speaking of recording, I strongly encourage you to get the 722 DVR. It allows you to hookup and external hard drive via a USB port and store recorded programming there. There are a couple of commercial-free HD movie channels in the HD package. I have 61 HD movies and some other HD programming stored on a 500 GB Western Digital external hard drive. You can even use it to store photos.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2451489.pdf (585.3 KB, 112 views)
__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
It's all Greek to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi Marshall,

I took a look at the Winegard manual, see the attached pdf file, and it shows a cable in the back. I can see no reason for the dish feed not to work there. The manual says the when the unit is switched off the feed comes from the cable input and when it is on it comes from the antenna.

What I did and would recommend to you is to add a second outlet for the cable/dish feed and connect both to your dish tuner allowing it to receive signals from the antenna and the dish simultaneously.
FYI
Maybe the following info would help understand what I need:

I asked Winegard and was told I can not run a satellite signal through the signal amplifying wall plate, although I don't understand why not. They did say it would not do any damage only it wouldn't work. That's why I am thinking about an AB switch.

I am don't have any interest in recording.

My TV is a Sharp 19" LCD (not HD but digital) with built in DVD player. It is not mounted but stowed away when not in use. Likewise my dish receiver will be stowed when not in use. So, when I am watching a cable TV feed or a DVD I would not be using the receiver at all. In other words, when watching DVDs I don't need any additional feed. When watching TV I only need to be connected to the off air antenna and when watching satellite I only need to be connected to my dish and when watching cable I only need the cable feed. I have not messed around with a dish while camping yet but anticipate only setting it up when I am going to be at one site for a while.
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,773
Images: 32
In that case, try hooking up to the cable feed. Just because the Winegard tech said that you couldn’t doesn’t necessarily make it so.

If it doesn’t work, I think the AB switch is a great solution.

That Winegard unit is an interesting one. It was completely off my radar. Thanks for bringing it up. I learned something today.

Let us know what you do and how it works.
__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
The Zen of Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
In that case, try hooking up to the cable feed. Just because the Winegard tech said that you couldn’t doesn’t necessarily make it so.
and Master Po said
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,773
Images: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
and Master Po said
You have truly snatched the pebble, grasshopper!

Boy, are telling our ages.
__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #25
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
 
ArtStream's Avatar
 
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,002
Images: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Boy, this is turning into a saga!


PS, Marshal, good luck on the knee!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,773
Images: 32
If you place your pebble on the “Caravan to Cairo,” your are on the path to enlightment.

Hi Michael!
__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #27
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
We have an amplified Winegard, and used a Dish 500 dish and receiver in our trailer. I had a dedicated line from the dish to the barrel connector into the trailer, then to the receiver. From there, I ran the output from the receiver up to the Winegard antenna input/amplifier, and used it as "cable in". It worked fine. The antenna has to be turned off for the dish to work.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,773
Images: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We have an amplified Winegard, and used a Dish 500 dish and receiver in our trailer. I had a dedicated line from the dish to the barrel connector into the trailer, then to the receiver. From there, I ran the output from the receiver up to the Winegard antenna input/amplifier, and used it as "cable in". It worked fine. The antenna has to be turned off for the dish to work.
Just what I thought.

Thanks Terry.
__________________

__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
with a screach and burning rubber, it's bye bye belt !!! kepko Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 4 09-06-2008 03:34 PM
Bye Bye Dinette? Foiled Again Off Topic Forum 13 02-04-2006 08:47 PM
Good-Bye To My Best Friend Chaplain Kent The Pet Forum 39 12-28-2005 06:14 PM
Good bye and thanks Ronnie..... Silvertwinkie Off Topic Forum 8 06-06-2004 06:46 PM
Bye bye Miss American Pie Rog0525 Our Community 4 04-13-2003 11:18 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.