Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
If you are planning on staying in one place taking your dish with you will work. If you are moving around a lot, you will find that setting it up will become a pain. As Some one suggested pre-recorded content is really the best way to go.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
We use DTV and can zero in as high as 96% (a different scale than DNW). My question is does anyone have experience with the Winguard carry out automatic dish?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard-carryout-gm-1518.jpg.thumb_popupprod_info_432x345_d84157d35b429dc1c00cfcafac997a44.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	132898  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #17

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
You have to park in the open. That unit is intended for permanent installation on top of your trailer. I like to park in the shade.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
You have to park in the open. That unit is intended for permanent installation on top of your trailer. I like to park in the shade.
This is not the roof top model. It is portable and can be placed out in the open up to 100' from the trailer. Ad says it is automatic. Uses 12v power (from truck cig. lighter, trailer or sep. battery. Still wondering if anyone uses this model?

Everyday is a Saturday
Old 06-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I need a High Def model which they yet too make for DirectTV....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I've used a single LNB antenna with my DISH receiver for a number of years. The receiver is shuttled between the house and the TT. The antenna at home has 3 LNBs and for this reason gets the full compliment of channels. When on the road I suffice with the channels offered by the bird at 119.

From the onscreen setup menu, I enter the zip code of my present location and select the type of antenna (a single LNB is a model 300). It will the display the compass heading (azimuth) and elevation to point the dish. The 2 LNB model 500 and 3 LNB model 1000 have a 3rd angle called skew that needs to be taken into consideration. In the western US you need a spot with a clear view of the sky roughly SSW. Find a level spot (makes pointing easier) and using your trusty Boy Scout compass point the dish at the azimuth indicated. The protractor on the back of the dish mount will assist with the elevation and skew. Then go to the setup page that shows signal strength and select 119. Pan the dish slightly left and right and tilt it up and down to get the best reading. If using a 500 or 1000 and your skew angle is correct, you should now be seeing the other birds correctly. If you were 5-10 degrees off you may lock on the wrong bird but your screen will tell you that.

I use an inline signal strength meter so I can better judge what I'm doing at the antenna itself. Note: Standing behind or beside the antenna, your body may reflect some of the signal into the LNB so as you step away, your readings might vary. The LNB on the DISH antenna are offset from center so the antenna actually points below the line to the satellite. Thus the branch overhead while not seeming in line with the antenna might actually be in the way. Iron pipes under ground and nearby cars can effect your compass also making the process a challenge at times.

The aforementioned iPhone app is really cool. It also works with the 3G iPads. It uses the built-in GPS and camera. You hold it as if you are taking picture and it will display the locations of the DISH satellites in the sky with a realtime image of what's in front of you. You can then easily determine if the neighbor's motorhome or that tree limb is in the way from where you are standing.

Since my receiver gets swapped from house to TT, I must also run Check Switch before everything operates correctly. After some trial and error, the setup became a lot easier and if something isn't skewing the compass I'm normally able to watch TV in under 10 minutes.

I know a couple of folks who have the Winegard Carryout. It's pretty simple to setup once you have the line of sight issue resolved as it is essentially self leveling and self pointing. Out of the box it's setup for Direct. Open the cover and flip a couple switches and it's configured for DISH. If traveling in the Northeast, there is a different switch configuration for it to search for the eastern birds. If connecting the Carroyout to your trailer's external cable port and it is wired through the antenna amplifier, you will need to bypass that connection at the amplifier, else they recommend connecting it directly to the receiver's antenna port. I personally believe this is really dependent on the antenna amplifier model. It will not receive HD programming for Direct but does for DISH. They also get their locals from DISH on it when they are in the spot beam coverage area. It automatically points to the correct satellite when switching channels, but it can point to only 1 bird at a time. That means if you have a 2nd receiver hooked up (or dual tuner) a 2nd channel can be watched or recorded as long as it is on the same satellite that the primary tuner has selected. I believe it comes with a 50' 12v power cable and a 50' coax.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
YankeeDoodle - Thanks for the info.

Everyday is a Saturday
Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Direct TV dishes are a dime a dozen around here. I have found a lot for free at garage sales and on Craigslist for a couple of dollars.
If you can find one of the round ones, it makes a great base for a stand. It also folds somewhat for storage in my truck.
I have a compass and a level which I use to set up. Takes about 5 or ten minutes.
I was told the single non HD was easier to set up but the HD triple LNB takes about the same. Get it level and use the compass to point. The Direct TV receiver or web site will tell you where to point.
If you were close by, I would give you one John.
Good luck!
Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1446.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	132925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	132926  

Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #23

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Well that changes the game. I did not know they started making ones that did not mount on the trailer.
Is there a way to secure the carryout? Someone could walk off with it.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Well that changes the game. I did not know they started making ones that did not mount on the trailer.
Is there a way to secure the carryout? Someone could walk off with it.
For the white box trailers and motorhomes, they offer a secure ladder mount that puts it at the top of the ladder so it functions as a roof mounted unit with the ability to unlock and set it on the ground or picnic table if foliage prevents reception. They also offer a tripod base if desired. Yes, without some provision to secure it, the Carryout might be called the Carryoff :-(
Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #25
B&J
Happy Campers

Pap, I'm thinking about switching to satellite tv in the AS and currently have DirectTV HD at home. Checked out the Winegard TRAV'LER automatic antenna for a roof top mount on our 2005 CCD International. We are tired of lugging around a dish and tripod and not having much luck at locking in a signal. Also would like to upgrade to a larger TV (maybe 26 inch HD). Not sure if I can make all this work. I would have our AS dealership install the roof top dish on the trailer. Do you have HD or SD in your trailer? Thanks for your help.
2005 CCD International 28 foot
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #26
A girl and an Airstream

1993 29' Excella
dunnegan , Missouri
We have a VuCube. It sits outside anywhere you want it. The problem with installing anything on a fixed position is the fact that you need southern exposure. If you are parked in the trees or anywhere the south may be blocked you will not get signal.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
The advances in technology have a way of making our lives more complicated. Yes, DISH did some software updates a year or two ago, and 40-50% on the setup screen is common and adequate in most cases. DISH receivers with dual tuners will have 2 satellite input connectors on the rear of the receiver. They were designed to be connected to a Superdish or Dish 1000 antenna and require both tuners to be connected to the antenna. It is possible to connect such a receiver to a Winegard Carryout, but it requires 2 coax cables to be run from the receiver to both ports on the Winegard. This can be problematic if the 2nd tuner wants a channel that is on a different bird than what the 1st tuner has the Winegard pointed to.

A single LNB antenna can still be used with a single tuner receiver model. If you point the antenna at 110 you will receive one set of channels. If you point it at 119 then you will have a different set. It is not easily found, but you can locate a list of channels by satellite for DISH. They switch things around now and then, so such of list can become out of date. To make this work, you need to go to the installation screens and select Dish 300 and then run Check Switch. Tell it to forget it's old info, then refine you antenna's position. I find 119 to be adequate for most channels that interest me when we're on the road. If this receiver returns home and is connected to a multi LNB antenna, you will need to select either Dish 500 (for the 500 or 1000) antenna or the Superdish as appropriate and rerun Check Switch and the once again allow it to download the program guide. For use with a single LNB antenna or the Carryout, a single tuner receiver makes things less complicated.

Some trailers' cable routing is not obvious. On newer units, the external cable connection normally goes to the batwing antenna amplifier and then on to the TV. If using the batwing, the amplifier is usually switched on. If using the park CATV or a DISH antenna, the amplifier should be off. The receiver needs to be somewhere in line between the amplifier and the TV. Depending on the TV, there may be more than one way to get the satellite programming to it. Sometimes this cable arrangement doesn't seem to play well, so first try to get the DISH working by connecting the antenna directly to the receiver. Once you get all that working, then try using the house wiring without disturbing the antenna.

The Dish For My RV app available for the iPhone and iPad 3G is pretty slick. It doesn't replace the compass for setting up your antenna, but rather combines the built in GPS to determine the relative location of the various DISH satellites and the camera to superimpose the satellites on the image seen through the camera's lens. Thus you can easily determine if your intended location for your antenna has an unobstructed view of the satellites by aiming the iPhone/iPad to the sky.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Like was said above, I have the single LNB and if I change channels from the 110 to 119, then it takes a few seconds for it to find and set. No biggy for me as it is so much better than packing the dish around and going through that routine. When I move into an RV spot, as soon as I get electricity, I turn on the dish and by the time I get everything else set, the dish has completed it's function. I have Direct TV since I wanted the Mountain West football to watch Boise State and Dish doesn't have a contract with the Mountain West system. Plus, I have become a real fan of Direct TV over Dish; a lot more features that I like. No HD in the AS though, but I'm not that concerned about that.

Pap
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2002 Airstream 30' Classic-5.18.11- 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	138107  

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote