Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ellis Grove , Illinois
Satellite Ready ?

I want to look at a new 07 31' Classic when I can get to the dealer 100 miles away. On the phone he said the AS is Sat. Preped on the roof. Could not really answer yes if it had a outside jack for Sat. and Cable. I intend on using my Sat. dish and need a pre-sat. wired RV. Can anyone help?
THANKS
KANEHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
our 06 classic was wiredfrom the factory. Thereis an outside connection for cable or sat dish. There is nothing on the roof ?/ and never heard of such ??? There is wiring extended to the rear of ther refrigrator that can be run up to the of thrugh the fridg vent to a solar panel, but ever heard od cable for sat. being brought there?? maybe something new ----------pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sat ready

We currently are using our Directv sat dish which connects at the rear of the trailer where the cable/phone connection is located. The sat connection up front can be a " little " difficult the first time. The Directv receiver has a by-pass function which allows us to get the local channels if available, using the standard connection. Never heard of a roof top sat connection for an A/S, but then the wife says my hearing is gone after 47 years .
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have a King Dome satellite dish on the roof that was prewired and installed at the factory. There are some issues when parked under trees. There are still issues on receiving local channels outside your geographical area.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
There may be a mounting bracket that was added to the roofs of the '07's but our '06 was "pre-wired" only, except it wasn't. JC covered the correction under warranty. But basically there is supposed to be a jumper wire that goes to the bat-wing on the roof. To by-pass the bat-wing so you can use the satellite dish, you disconnect one end of the jumper wire and connect your satellite in cable to the f-connector where you disconnect the jumper wire. Then you connect the dish to the cable-in connection on the outside of the trailer next to the phone jack where you would normally connect standard cable and that gives you a direct connection from your satellite receiver to your satellite dish.

The drawback is that you do not have access to the bat-wing without disconnecting the satellite receiver and reconnecting the jumper cable wire. Not so convenient if you want to check the local news or local weather report or to see what's on one of the local networks, but we never do that on trips anyway. While at the dealership, ask them to show you where the jumper wire is and how it functions to make sure it is in there. Ours was omitted at the factory and that is why ours was installed under the warranty.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Outside inlet box for cable and satellite TV

I am wiring my trailer for cable and satellite access as part of it's rehab/update. When done it will have 2 outlets for TV's. I am putting in 2 runs of RG-6 quad shield, giving each system it's own coax.

Had no problem finding the needed inside access plates, boxes, etc. but in looking for external input hardware, weatherproof box, the only dual setup inlets I can find contain cable and phone jacks. Can the phone side can be changed to accept the other coax? Or, even better, a source for dual coax inlet.

Thanks, AND -- eat lots of turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender
I am wiring my trailer for cable and satellite access as part of it's rehab/update. When done it will have 2 outlets for TV's. I am putting in 2 runs of RG-6 quad shield, giving each system it's own coax.

Had no problem finding the needed inside access plates, boxes, etc. but in looking for external input hardware, weatherproof box, the only dual setup inlets I can find contain cable and phone jacks. Can the phone side can be changed to accept the other coax? Or, even better, a source for dual coax inlet.

Thanks, AND -- eat lots of turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving TB
TB,

You can get exactly what you are looking for: Wineguard dual outdoor TV receptical # WA-1110 MSRP $21.19

Also, they make an indoor model with an integral splitter and amplfier that requires 12VDC, # RV7542 for $34.39

Hope this helps!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Lewster,

You're the man..... I will have an even happier day today!! I'll get about purchasing one of those tomorrow.

Thank you,

TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Kanehill. Your new Classic is wired for cable and Sat. Not on the roof, however. The jumper Minnies's Mate referred to is on the 06 Safari. We traded ours in for a 07 Classic. The classics do not have the jumper arrangement. Simply use the remote to switch between Sat and cable. works fine, lasts a long time.
Happy Thanks giving to all.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
There may be a mounting bracket that was added to the roofs of the '07's but our '06 was "pre-wired" only, except it wasn't. JC covered the correction under warranty. But basically there is supposed to be a jumper wire that goes to the bat-wing on the roof. To by-pass the bat-wing so you can use the satellite dish, you disconnect one end of the jumper wire and connect your satellite in cable to the f-connector where you disconnect the jumper wire. Then you connect the dish to the cable-in connection on the outside of the trailer next to the phone jack where you would normally connect standard cable and that gives you a direct connection from your satellite receiver to your satellite dish.

The drawback is that you do not have access to the bat-wing without disconnecting the satellite receiver and reconnecting the jumper cable wire.
Alright, desperation time. I just changed from cable to DirecTV so we could watch the Auburn/Alabama game tailgating tomorrow (War Eagle!). I tested the system by hooking up the satellite dish directly to my receiver - and then direct connect to the TV and it works great. The problem is I am draping cables through the trailer - and out the door.

I tried hooking up the dish to the outside jack, and then disconnected the jumper cable in the trailer and inserted cables in and out of the receiver at the jumper location. Wired this way, I get no connection or even apparent signal from the receiver to the TV. It's going to be in the low 30's tonight at game time, so I am hoping to get this corrected today so I don't need to leave the door open. If anyone has any ideas, I will be most appreciative!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
You said you hooked up a wirre form the Sat receiver back into the wall. I don't think the system was designed that way. You need to run a video/audio cable fro mthe reciever to the TV.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Brad, you may want to try reversing the cables out of the "jumper" location. The labels on my 07 Classic were reversed. Took me several hours to finally try to reverse the cables and get a picture. it's worth a try.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Try a continuity test to find the cable you want.

Using a spare piece of cable (short one), connect it to your outdoor input jack and then jump the inner and outer sections of the plug.

Now when you go inside the trailer to the outlets, attach a connector with a cable that has a bare end. When you put an ohm meter across these wires, you should get a reading if you have the correct outlet and nothing (no continuity) if it isn't the right one.

This way, you'll be sure you have the right outlet............
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Well, i tried Michelle's suggestion and, whether it's the right way to hook up the tV or not, it worked just great - and thanks! Not only were we able to watch the game, but I think the way I hooked up our TV helped Auburn beat Alabama! War eagle!

I will try those other ideas, but for the moment I'll celebrate this little victory. Thanks all!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
You are Welcome. We can confer at the Can Opener. You may thank me in person.....

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Mechelle, I may need you to show me at the Can Opener. I have been able to use Brad's method of running the cable through the door over Labor Day, but I haven't had a chance to connect it to the trailer's cable connection yet. The one time we went camping where there was no cable there were too many trees to get a signal.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Oh, BTW Brad, to resize photos for the forum, I usually go to MS-Picture Manager and use the edit tool to re-size for e-mail and it will shrink the picture down to under 50K. I checked and it is an MS-Office product so you may have to look there for it if you have loaded Office on your new computer. Hope this helps.
WBCCI# 4821