Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Satellite Finder App

Finding a spot for your satellite dish can be frustrating, especially if you have a minimal clear spot to aim at. I just found this app which I installed on my iPad.

SatFinder Pro HD - iTunes Top Apps | App Annie

It's called SatFinder Pro HD. It uses your camera on your iPad and is able to determine your location. Essentially you hold your iPad to the sky and view the screen. As you move the screen you will see various satellites superimposed onto your screen over the picture that the camera sees. You can build your list of favorites so it works for any satellite. Since I use Dish network and the Tailgater dish, the satellites I need to look at are the 121W, 119W, and 110W satellites. Once you select your favorites, those satellites are then made green in color with the others in orange in the overlay. When I see my three satellites I can verify that there are no trees, building or anything else blocking them.

I tried it out at home and pointed my iPad up in the sky next to where I park my trailer when it's in the drive. The site looks good, but last time at home I noticed that I couldn't use my Tailgater there. What I found out with the software was that a Bradford Pear tree out at the street is just tall enough to block the three satellites. Pretty neat!

I'm assuming this software would also work with an iPhone too. I can see this saving a lot of time and heartache for setup.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
For a couple of years Ive been using a similar app on my Iphone. IIRC it was $10-$15 at that time.

It is super handy, I've actually hit the satellite thru a basketball sized hole in the tree cover.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
There's also Dishpointer that's an iPhone app. Costs $19.95. I recently downloaded it, but haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. Looks like it will do all that the o.p. says.

Fred
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote