Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
DHart I'm probably stating the obvious but the amount of space the Travl'r takes up on an AS roof may limit the amount of solar you can install. See the postings from BAB on his 2015 Classic at 30ft. He moved some stuff around and still has plenty of room for solar. Smaller trailers start to be challenging.
ghaynes... yes, I can imagine that on the smaller Airstreams, rooftop real estate would be quite limited.

I think on the 30' Serenity that will be coming in next week, we can should be able to make it all work out up there. We're not planning on a lot of solar.
__________________

__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 27' FB International
Nebo , North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
To clarify I have the g2 dome covered dish and it does not have high def. you speak of a different dish entirely.


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________

__________________
JimGaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,766
Images: 12
The factory solar package is an overpriced trickle charger (no offense, Doug Kottum ) Even Airstream admitted to some of us at this year's Alumapalooza that they "need to get serious" about solar.

We ripped our factory solar system out after a year and added 540 watts of solar panels, a Magnum hybrid inverter and the AM solar charger/controller; and will be getting a 400 AH Lithium Phosphate battery bank in about two months when we get to Oregon. We couldn't be more pleased. Having said this, I fully acknowledge that our setup is way more expensive and capable than what most sane people would do.

Contact Lew Farber (screen name Lewster) on this Forum. He is the most knowledgeable person on this forum about solar.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGaskill View Post
To clarify I have the g2 dome covered dish and it does not have high def. you speak of a different dish entirely.
Jim, yes, the particular antenna (dish) that you selected is what prevents you from receiving High Definition with DirecTV.

I was responding to your statement "Note with directtv you can only have standard def." which might lead an uninformed person to think that DirecTV doesn't offer high definition on mobile set-ups, which isn't true. It just depends on what antenna (dish) one buys.

It's all clear now, though.
__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
The factory solar package is an overpriced trickle charger (no offense, Doug Kottum ) Even Airstream admitted to some of us at this year's Alumapalooza that they "need to get serious" about solar.

We ripped our factory solar system out after a year and added 540 watts of solar panels, a Magnum hybrid inverter and the AM solar charger/controller; and will be getting a 400 AH Lithium Phosphate battery bank in about two months when we get to Oregon. We couldn't be more pleased. Having said this, I fully acknowledge that our setup is way more expensive and capable than what most sane people would do.

Contact Lew Farber (screen name Lewster) on this Forum. He is the most knowledgeable person on this forum about solar.
Bob, that's kind of what we have our eye on as well. Too expensive and probably much more than we would ever need, but I like the idea.

Meanwhile four years in with our factory system and it serves us well. Don't regret the original purchase at all, a battery storage capacity (need larger AGMs) is our weakness at this time. The original panels have them recharged by noon as long as we have sun (solar requirement).

We would regret not having any solar system.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Bob, that's kind of what we have our eye on as well. Too expensive and probably much more than we would ever need, but I like the idea.

Meanwhile four years in with our factory system and it serves us well. Don't regret the original purchase at all, a battery storage capacity (need larger AGMs) is our weakness at this time. The original panels have them recharged by noon as long as we have sun (solar requirement).

We would regret not having any solar system.
Doug,

Actually, with the proper solar panels, solar charge controller and system design, you don't even need full sun for a solar charging system to charge the batteries.

Yes, you read that right! Many of the systems that I install show significant charging amperage to the batteries in minimal daylight conditions. If there is sufficient sunlight (enough to cast a shadow on the ground) many of our systems will work. I have clients that have sent me screen shots of their systems producing charge amperage even in the rain!!!!
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,766
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Bob, that's kind of what we have our eye on as well. Too expensive and probably much more than we would ever need, but I like the idea.

Meanwhile four years in with our factory system and it serves us well. Don't regret the original purchase at all, a battery storage capacity (need larger AGMs) is our weakness at this time. The original panels have them recharged by noon as long as we have sun (solar requirement).

We would regret not having any solar system.
Doug, if you have a front bedroom, adding more batteries is very easy, just put them under the bed. Our $10,000+ project began with the idea of simply adding two new batteries under the bed.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Overcast sky is the limitation we see of the factory solar system. If sunny, the two AGM's are recharged well before noon. Some overcast sky, maybe 3 pm. Lots of overcast, full recharge may not happen. Time for the generator, or seeing we don't carry one any more, conserve the battery power you have.

So that's why I would first choose to increase battery capacity before solar if pinching pennies, to carry us through those intermittent overcast days. Then when we win the lottery (have never bought a ticket) we could get the total system we really want.

Have to admit, I really dislike generators. (Maybe I should buy a ticket.)
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,766
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Have to admit, I really dislike generators. (Maybe I should buy a ticket.)
It's my understanding that buying a lottery ticket does not materially increase your odds of winning.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
When installing panels on the roof, I assume one must select one side or the other. So, do you need to park with the chosen side facing south, so you can tilt the panels to the south? Is curbside or roadside generally a preferred side for installation?

I ask because I'm beginning planning for installing two large panels (for perhaps 500w?) and the Winegard Trav'ler dish antenna.

Coach is a 2016 30' Serenity.
__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
The sun moves east to west, highest in summer (northern hemisphere). I wouldn't want to be limited by solar panel orientation when choosing parking. Perhaps just follow the top of the roof? I would think moveable tilt would have you chasing the sun all day. The idea of solar to me is just let it quietly do what it can, and manage the juice it gives you each day.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
When installing panels on the roof, I assume one must select one side or the other. So, do you need to park with the chosen side facing south, so you can tilt the panels to the south? Is curbside or roadside generally a preferred side for installation?

I ask because I'm beginning planning for installing two large panels (for perhaps 500w?) and the Winegard Trav'ler dish antenna.

Coach is a 2016 30' Serenity.

You'll find that using more panels of a narrow profile ( our 100 watt panels measure 21 X 47) will allow for placement on both sides of your roof. We also use proprietary mounting feet that allow the panels to be tilted 45 degrees for better solar radiance in low solar azimuth situations.


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I wouldn't want to be limited by solar panel orientation when choosing parking. Perhaps just follow the top of the roof? I would think moveable tilt would have you chasing the sun all day. The idea of solar to me is just let it quietly do what it can, and manage the juice it gives you each day.
That makes good sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
You'll find that using more panels of a narrow profile ( our 100 watt panels measure 21 X 47) will allow for placement on both sides of your roof. We also use proprietary mounting feet that allow the panels to be tilted 45 degrees for better solar radiance in low solar azimuth situations.
Hadn't thought of that. Sounds good.

Lew... can a 2016 30' Serenity with two AC units accommodate a Winegard Trav'ler and four of your 100w panels on the roof?
__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
I haven't seen the new 30 yet, but I put 4 of the now discontinued 135 watt panels on a '15 30 Bunk (these panels are 57" long) and I believe that a sat. receiver would still have space available in the center of the roof between the A/C units.


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Factory Installed Solar Charging System SilverGate Generators & Solar Power 419 11-27-2017 06:54 AM
Is this a factory installed solar panel ? I think it's factory installed and ... JacobMerridy Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 1 01-14-2017 10:23 AM
Satellite installation -A factory installed option? lsinclair Computers, Internet & Satellite 9 11-04-2007 08:23 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.