Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Satellite & Solar Installed at factory or after?

We have currently have a AS on order and had the Satellite & Solar panels added to the order. Looking at the price now it seems that there is an extensive mark up, but we thought it be convenient to have it done at the factory. Any suggestions on if we should change our minds on this (not sure if we can). Is satellite even really necessary with so many TV options over the Internet? I'm showing it was $2500 for this option. Seems pretty steep to me. Any help would be so appreciated!
Auberlee W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Much better more powerful solar systems available. See the solar system postings. Look at the AMSolar website. Exchange emails with Marvin Braun or Lew Farber who can discuss options. The $2500 sounds like solar only. Solar can be installed on the line, probably the satellite would be after delivery in the service shop for an additional charge.

Streaming of TV over the Internet is problematic. WiFi connections in most RV parks don't handle it and it gets expensive if you use a MiFi device due to the amount of data required.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have had great luck over the past 4 years with the aftermarket solar panel, satellite TV, and a Verizon Jet-pack wifi. No problems with any of them.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
AM Solar offers better value for money spent. I am running 403 watts of their system, and it was amazingly simple to install. They provide everything, label everything, give you every little piece you need. You end up needing nothing.

Here is what I spent:

Refrigerator Vent C-Box
1 $60.00 $60.00

SunRunner Signature 25MPPT/6/PRO Core
1 $799.99 $799.99

#S-GS135 Solar Panel Kit
3 $449.99 $1,349.97

#15.5"/45˚ Tilt Bar Set
3 $35.00 $105.00

#DiCor Sealant
2 $10.00 $20.00

Subtotal: $2,334.96
Sales Tax (when applicable):
$0.00
UPS Ground Shipping and Handling: $17.00
Total Charges: $2,351.96

403 Watts VS the pathetic Airstream 50 watt panel.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Thank you so much ! There was so many items to look at and now I'm nervous we may have jumped the gun on few options!
Auberlee W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You won't regret it, every solar system has limitations which you will learn to operate within.

Our new Airstream was a dealer inventory order with every option, we bought it the day it arrived and every one has made our travel experience better. The satellite option I'm not familiar with.

The solar amounted to two 53 watt panels, two Lifeline AGM batteries, controller, and monitor, all nicely installed. Enough for lighting, entertainment, water pump, fans in sunny, open western travel. The weakness is not the solar but the battery storage capacity.

We have a Honda 2000i generator when that's not enough, but have traveled the last couple of years without it along. Four years and all doing fine, we've talked of a Lithium Ion battery and associated equipment upgrade when the price moderates.

I think the solar was about $2500 but that was inside the negotiable new trailer MSRP, we paid less.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Factory does a poor job of solar. Anything you can have the dealer or aftermarket dealers do have them do it. Same said with the charger, inverter and even the batteries.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Our AS sales manager told us flat out not to order the solar or satellite options. He assured us that we can get much better systems, for less money, after we take delivery of our ordered coach. This guy know his stuff and we went with his recommendation.

We already know we're going to go with the Winegard Travler HD for DirecTV, as we have used that same system on two Class A motor coaches and love the hi-def wherever we are and the quality of the Winegard set-up. Great system. The dish itself runs around $1700 or so these days, as I recall.

As for solar, we haven't decided on a system yet, but will do so when the coach comes in later this month.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
DHart I'm probably stating the obvious but the amount of space the Travl'r takes up on an AS roof may limit the amount of solar you can install. See the postings from BAB on his 2015 Classic at 30ft. He moved some stuff around and still has plenty of room for solar. Smaller trailers start to be challenging.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't have solar.
Satellite is less expensive as a DIY project- a receiver from home and a portable dish antenna-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Not a big TV fan but for new orders I'd get the stock TV antenna replaced with the Jack antenna. I've read the antenna Airstream now installs is a downgrade in reception from the Winegard Sensar installed up to 2014. Tailgater satellite is popular but satellite is not for us.

For solar we purchased a Zamp 200w portable system. I park the Airstream in the shade and position the panel out in the sun. Cost is about $800. We don't run AC devices except for chargers and we have a small portable sinewave inverter to run the TV or charge computers/camera batteries. Phones charge off the 12v sockets in the trailer.

The only advantage I can see in spending the money of roof mounted solar is if you want to run a lot of AC powered appliances and it will charge your batteries while towing better than the tow vehicle umbilical connection. You would need to change out the converter/charger to a better unit as part of the upgrade.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #12
Lotus

2016 27' International
Nebo , North Carolina
I installed my sat TV after my delivery. Cost was around $600 for dish and $800 for dealer to install. I already had receiver. Note with directtv you can only have standard def. can't really see the difference on led tvs but you will need a splitter to connect both tvs to system. Sounds cheaper after the fact than factory done. My dealer did a fabulous job.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
JimGaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGaskill View Post
I installed my sat TV after my delivery. Cost was around $600 for dish and $800 for dealer to install. I already had receiver. Note with directtv you can only have standard def. can't really see the difference on led tvs but you will need a splitter to connect both tvs to system. Sounds cheaper after the fact than factory done. My dealer did a fabulous job.

You are incorrect on this. With the Winegard Trav'ler antenna, you have full Hi-Definition reception. We've used DirecTV with Winegard Trav'ler on two different motorhomes and will use it on our Airstream.

One push of a button and they open up, seek, find, and lock on to the satellites. When you're ready to leave camp, one push of a button and they store themselves away flat and inconspicuous. They do all the work automatically. Awesome dish antenna!
Old 07-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You won't regret it, every solar system has limitations which you will learn to operate within.

The solar amounted to two 53 watt panels, two Lifeline AGM batteries, controller, and monitor, all nicely installed.

I think the solar was about $2500 but that was inside the negotiable new trailer MSRP, we paid less.
I would instantly regret paying that knowing that I over paid for 106 watts of marginal solar.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
DHart I'm probably stating the obvious but the amount of space the Travl'r takes up on an AS roof may limit the amount of solar you can install. See the postings from BAB on his 2015 Classic at 30ft. He moved some stuff around and still has plenty of room for solar. Smaller trailers start to be challenging.
ghaynes... yes, I can imagine that on the smaller Airstreams, rooftop real estate would be quite limited.

I think on the 30' Serenity that will be coming in next week, we can should be able to make it all work out up there. We're not planning on a lot of solar.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #16
Lotus

2016 27' International
Nebo , North Carolina
To clarify I have the g2 dome covered dish and it does not have high def. you speak of a different dish entirely.

JimGaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The factory solar package is an overpriced trickle charger (no offense, Doug Kottum ) Even Airstream admitted to some of us at this year's Alumapalooza that they "need to get serious" about solar.

We ripped our factory solar system out after a year and added 540 watts of solar panels, a Magnum hybrid inverter and the AM solar charger/controller; and will be getting a 400 AH Lithium Phosphate battery bank in about two months when we get to Oregon. We couldn't be more pleased. Having said this, I fully acknowledge that our setup is way more expensive and capable than what most sane people would do.

Contact Lew Farber (screen name Lewster) on this Forum. He is the most knowledgeable person on this forum about solar.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGaskill View Post
To clarify I have the g2 dome covered dish and it does not have high def. you speak of a different dish entirely.
Jim, yes, the particular antenna (dish) that you selected is what prevents you from receiving High Definition with DirecTV.

I was responding to your statement "Note with directtv you can only have standard def." which might lead an uninformed person to think that DirecTV doesn't offer high definition on mobile set-ups, which isn't true. It just depends on what antenna (dish) one buys.

It's all clear now, though.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
The factory solar package is an overpriced trickle charger (no offense, Doug Kottum ) Even Airstream admitted to some of us at this year's Alumapalooza that they "need to get serious" about solar.

We ripped our factory solar system out after a year and added 540 watts of solar panels, a Magnum hybrid inverter and the AM solar charger/controller; and will be getting a 400 AH Lithium Phosphate battery bank in about two months when we get to Oregon. We couldn't be more pleased. Having said this, I fully acknowledge that our setup is way more expensive and capable than what most sane people would do.

Contact Lew Farber (screen name Lewster) on this Forum. He is the most knowledgeable person on this forum about solar.
Bob, that's kind of what we have our eye on as well. Too expensive and probably much more than we would ever need, but I like the idea.

Meanwhile four years in with our factory system and it serves us well. Don't regret the original purchase at all, a battery storage capacity (need larger AGMs) is our weakness at this time. The original panels have them recharged by noon as long as we have sun (solar requirement).

We would regret not having any solar system.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Bob, that's kind of what we have our eye on as well. Too expensive and probably much more than we would ever need, but I like the idea.

Meanwhile four years in with our factory system and it serves us well. Don't regret the original purchase at all, a battery storage capacity (need larger AGMs) is our weakness at this time. The original panels have them recharged by noon as long as we have sun (solar requirement).

We would regret not having any solar system.
Doug,

Actually, with the proper solar panels, solar charge controller and system design, you don't even need full sun for a solar charging system to charge the batteries.

Yes, you read that right! Many of the systems that I install show significant charging amperage to the batteries in minimal daylight conditions. If there is sufficient sunlight (enough to cast a shadow on the ground) many of our systems will work. I have clients that have sent me screen shots of their systems producing charge amperage even in the rain!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote