Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Anderson , Indiana
SanDisc Connect mobile hard drive with WiFi !!

I just purchased a SanDisc Connect 64 gig mobile hard drive. I'd never heard about these before this week, but believe it will come in very handy on long trips with the kids, as well as for use in the trailer. 64g will supposedly store about 40 hd movies, and it also has an SD card slot so you could add a bunch more memory as well. I found mine NIB on eBay for $45 shipped. They a quite a bit more at the store.

This is a very small device that will store media like movies pictures or music, and allow up to 5 different wireless devices to hook up to it wirelessly via a WiFi connection, and then stream the media to those devices at the same time (each device can watch or listen to different things). It uses a rechargeable battery, and will last about 8 hours on a charge.

I just got it, and tested it out with an iPad and was very impressed with the playback. Very clear picture, and no issues with playback like stopping to buffer, pausing.

I was originally going to go with a DVD player for the truck, but this is cheaper, is portable, and we will be able to use our iPads and smart phones which we already have.

Thought I would share for those looking for media and entertainment for the family on the road, and for those rainy days!
Kline1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
This is interesting; I wonder if you could connect into the internal trailer system and watch movies through the TV? I know my trailer systems allows me to play music via blue tooth off my iPad or iPhone but I would have no idea how to get a movie to play.
Also do you know if you can use it to upload photos from your digital camera. If you can that would be interesting as more storage for images while on ex trended trips is good.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Anderson , Indiana
I'm not sure about the tv. If your tv has wifi, you might be able to connect to it?

You load files via a USB cord, or SD card, so yes you should be able to load photos from your camera to free up space on the camera.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for the info, I will need to check these out...
Old 11-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Here's another wifi storage device - more money, but a huge 1TB of capacity. It's on my Christmas wish list. It also can function as a wifi hub for internet sharing. If you have a Windows laptop or tablet, you can use ICS to share an internet connection, but it's sort of a pita to set up. Also, you can dump photos onto it directly from the camera's SD card. Pretty slick.

My Passport Wireless | Wi-Fi Mobile Storage

Amazon.com: WD My Passport Wireless 1 TB Wi-Fi Mobile Storage (WDBK8Z0010BBK-NESN): Computers & Accessories

Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I like the LaCie FUEL, 2TB Wifi unit.

I should be stated, these create their "own" wifi. The downside there being, connecting to the device means jumping off your other wifi. Which makes it useless in my brain unless someplace where you don't have a wireless network.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Anderson , Indiana
Quote:
I should be stated, these create their "own" wifi. The downside there being, connecting to the device means jumping off your other wifi. Which makes it useless in my brain unless someplace where you don't have a wireless network.
My main purpose is to allow the kids to watch movies while we are in route, so the WiFi is not necessary for us.