Old 11-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Rooftop Antenna (Screwless) Mount - Wifi Ranger and WeBoost

Hi All,

I have a 2016, 28' International Signature and I am just about to mount the WiFi Ranger Flat Mount and WeBoost omni directional antenna on the roof. The plan is to place them somewhere forward of the front AC. Sticking them on with 3M VHB tape and then covering that with Sikaflex.

I will run the wires back along the driver side to the refrigerator vent. At that point I will either drill through the raised lip of the vent or try and cut through the wire mesh (if I can figure out how). Then I'll pass the wires through the hole to just above the fridge.

I plan on breaking out the back of the small cabinet above the fridge and pull the wires through and mount the inside boxes for the WiFi Ranger and the WeBoost in that small cabinet. Somehow fixing the back part I'll have to break out.

I was only able to get Sikaflex 505UV and 715, I couldn't find 221 in town (Phoenix). Hopefully one of those are OK. I was going to tape down the wiring with some Quick Roof Extreme repair tape (from camping world: https://www.campingworld.com/quick-r...t-white-4-x-25). Is that stuff OK?

Does my plan sound sensible? I'm open to options ... or just telling me to quit worrying and do it. Heck, if someone just told me to drill straight through the roof with some convincing plan for doing so safely, I'd be game.

Also I am going to need to figure out how to find or make a bracket for the WeBoost, I'd like something that I can flat mount to the roof instead of the L shaped thing that clear is intended to vertical mount. I tried to find aluminum sheeting at Lowes that could be bent for this purpose but I didn't find anything that seemed to be the right thickness.

All feedback appreciated.

- Austin

godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
I'm now debating whether the torque on my 4G antenna mount will be too much for the tape and considering riveting. That might be the best idea. Or having someone make a low profile bracket.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
On my 25í I drilled a hole near the fridge vent and came down inside the wardrobe. The equipment is counted on that side wall. I attached my antenna in the same way you describe except with 221. I used a Blue Sea cable clam to seal the hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DDD9AA2-9511-49A9-A320-F2F2A698A9C1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	328839  
daleyocum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Why don’t you just get a suction cup antenna mount and stick it on the windows. No holes to drill. Much cheaper. That’s what I do with my Weboost. Works great. All I did was run it through the storage area on the back of my AS up through the bed frame. Easy. And I don’t have to worry about leaks.

https://www.technorv.com/suction-cup-antenna-mount-1/
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Rooftop Antenna (Screwless) Mount - Wifi Ranger and WeBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Why donít you just get a suction cup antenna mount and stick it on the windows. No holes to drill. Much cheaper. Thatís what I do with my Weboost. Works great. All I did was run it through the storage area on the back of my AS up through the bed frame. Easy. And I donít have to worry about leaks.

https://www.technorv.com/suction-cup-antenna-mount-1/

Interesting idea. Did this work well?
Do you have any images of the installation? This might solve a big issue for me as Iím not keen on drilling holes.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
On my 25í I drilled a hole near the fridge vent and came down inside the wardrobe. The equipment is counted on that side wall. I attached my antenna in the same way you describe except with 221. I used a Blue Sea cable clam to seal the hole.
Nice overhead view! Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like you have roughly the same antenna. I think I am too worried about the torque on the base of the mount to just trust the tape and the 221 (which I now have). I think I am going to get a rivet gun and rivet the bracket I made down.

I'm going to try to get over the fear of putting holes in the roof. Rivets and sealant is how the roof is assembled ... I should be able to put a few rivets in myself. I'm going to get a rivet gun and some sacrificial aluminum to practice on today. I'll report back how it goes.

Thanks,

Austin
Old 12-01-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
That mount looks like a great thing to have in my junk box. I have a separate directional antenna and mast that I switch to if the rooftop mounted omni doesn't work. Thanks for sharing that. I might pick one up.

- Austin
Old 12-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Interesting idea. Did this work well?
Do you have any images of the installation? This might solve a big issue for me as Iím not keen on drilling holes.
This worked very well. If you Private Message me with your email I can send you some pictures of what I did via your email. You do have to set it up at each campsite, but itís very easy. There is enough space in the rear cargo door that I didnít have to drill any holes. I just close the door on the cord. One could drill a hole through the cargo door I suppose, but I didnít. I donít like drilling holes either. Places for critters to get in. But better on the cargo door than through the roof IMHO. Then I just take my phone and go around the camper to determine best signal and put the suction cup on that side attaching it to the window.

I wanted my weboost portable because I use it in my pick-up for my work. This worked great for me.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
FWIW, I have two Sure Call antennas mounted on my roof, each with a ~2" long piece of 1.5" aluminum angle (so roughly a 1.5x2" mounting surface). Two strips of 3/4" wide VHB tape and sikaflex 221 to seal. Been up there for a year of travel with no signs trouble. I don't think you'll have a problem if you choose to go that route.

If you would rather purchase than fabricate your WeBoost antenna mount, you could grab one of the tall rocker mounts from AM Solar, which I've seen others use with good results.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Photo.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181201_145337.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	328881
Old 12-02-2018, 12:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by godber View Post
Nice overhead view! Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like you have roughly the same antenna. I think I am too worried about the torque on the base of the mount to just trust the tape and the 221 (which I now have). I think I am going to get a rivet gun and rivet the bracket I made down.

I'm going to try to get over the fear of putting holes in the roof. Rivets and sealant is how the roof is assembled ... I should be able to put a few rivets in myself. I'm going to get a rivet gun and some sacrificial aluminum to practice on today. I'll report back how it goes.

Thanks,

Austin
I would not advise riveting it because you actually WANT it to tear off if you accidentally hit a tree branch. Otherwise if it gets torn off the rivets will make quite a mess of the roof.

As long as you clean the area where you are putting down the VHB tape with acetone first (don’t rub hard as it will take off the paint) and install the bracket parallel with the length of the trailer you can be confident it’s not going anywhere. My solar panels are installed the same way. AMSolar has done hundreds of installations this way.

If you insist on rivets, be sure they aren’t steel shank. They should be either all aluminum or stainless to avoid corrosion. A magnet shouldn’t stick to them.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
I would not advise riveting it because you actually WANT it to tear off if you accidentally hit a tree branch. Otherwise if it gets torn off the rivets will make quite a mess of the roof.

As long as you clean the area where you are putting down the VHB tape with acetone first (donít rub hard as it will take off the paint) and install the bracket parallel with the length of the trailer you can be confident itís not going anywhere. My solar panels are installed the same way. AMSolar has done hundreds of installations this way.

If you insist on rivets, be sure they arenít steel shank. They should be either all aluminum or stainless to avoid corrosion. A magnet shouldnít stick to them.
Good point, though the rivets are now set. I ended up splitting the difference, my wifiranger is mounted with vhb and sikaflex but the omnidirectional is mounted with rivets and sikaflex.

I was able to get the wires down through the mesh in the top of the refrigerator vent with help from a friend and some needle nose pliers. Still working on mounting the interior components.

I was thinking of taping down the wires with 4" eternabond ... but now seeing yours it looks like you probably have some VHB backed wire tie thing going on there. I'll go back to the hardware store and see if I can find something along those lines ... rather than taping down 8 ft of eternabond needlessly.

Thanks again,

- Austin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna-mounts-roci.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	624.2 KB
ID:	328957  
Old 12-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post

That looks great! I should just "stuck" with the tape ... I've riveted it. I'll keep my fingers crossed on tree branches.

Thanks,

Austin
Old 12-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by godber View Post
That looks great! I should just "stuck" with the tape ... I've riveted it. I'll keep my fingers crossed on tree branches.

Thanks,

Austin
I suspect the way you mounted yours, the antenna would snap off its base before the mount rips off the roof. Shouldn't be a problem. Ideally, you won't be hitting stuff with the top of your rig anyway...

My wires are held down with square plastic zip tie mounts with VHB tape backing and sealed with Sikaflex. I had a bunch left over from my solar install, but you can pick them up in the electrical aisle of the hardware store next to the zip ties. Might need to provide your own vhb tape.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Oh, I see AM Solar has cable management solutions ...

https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/92c-ratt

Looks like what daleyocum has on his roof.

I should have looked at this prior to my current project.

Now I need to figure out how to get power into the over fridge compartment.

Thanks for the input everyone. Talking through these things is useful. I've been reading threads and getting ideas, but having you guys point out specific things is useful.

- Austin
Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
I suspect the way you mounted yours, the antenna would snap off its base before the mount rips off the roof. Shouldn't be a problem. Ideally, you won't be hitting stuff with the top of your rig anyway...
Ideally yeah, but I can get a little impulsive ... I found a boondocking site in the Montana Flathead National Forest that I had no business trying to get a 28' trailer into ... it fit perfectly once I got it in ... though I may have got a few scratches ... and hopefully learned no to cut it so close.

Thanks, I've got VHB ... so will try and find the ties.

Austin
Old 12-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:

My wires are held down with square plastic zip tie mounts with VHB tape backing and sealed with Sikaflex. I had a bunch left over from my solar install, but you can pick them up in the electrical aisle of the hardware store next to the zip ties. Might need to provide your own vhb tape.
If you are worried about hitting things you could attach the verticals with either a single bolt and we’ll-torqued nylock nut or some small gauge bolt that will snap off first.

I used the zip tie mounts for my wires and they’ve been fine. Mine are all weather VHB versions from Panduit because I didn’t want to Silkaflex each one. And again clean the metal well before applying each one. The hardware store versions might be fine as long as they are the black UV resistant models rated for outdoor use.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
If you are worried about hitting things you could attach the verticals with either a single bolt and weíll-torqued nylock nut or some small gauge bolt that will snap off first.

I used the zip tie mounts for my wires and theyíve been fine. Mine are all weather VHB versions from Panduit because I didnít want to Silkaflex each one. And again clean the metal well before applying each one. The hardware store versions might be fine as long as they are the black UV resistant models rated for outdoor use.
Nylon bolts for antenna mounts are a fantastic idea! I might have to swap out mine.