Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Oh, I see AM Solar has cable management solutions ...

https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/92c-ratt

Looks like what daleyocum has on his roof.

I should have looked at this prior to my current project.

Now I need to figure out how to get power into the over fridge compartment.

Thanks for the input everyone. Talking through these things is useful. I've been reading threads and getting ideas, but having you guys point out specific things is useful.

- Austin

godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
I suspect the way you mounted yours, the antenna would snap off its base before the mount rips off the roof. Shouldn't be a problem. Ideally, you won't be hitting stuff with the top of your rig anyway...
Ideally yeah, but I can get a little impulsive ... I found a boondocking site in the Montana Flathead National Forest that I had no business trying to get a 28' trailer into ... it fit perfectly once I got it in ... though I may have got a few scratches ... and hopefully learned no to cut it so close.

Thanks, I've got VHB ... so will try and find the ties.

Austin

godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
I suspect the way you mounted yours, the antenna would snap off its base before the mount rips off the roof. Shouldn't be a problem. Ideally, you won't be hitting stuff with the top of your rig anyway...

My wires are held down with square plastic zip tie mounts with VHB tape backing and sealed with Sikaflex. I had a bunch left over from my solar install, but you can pick them up in the electrical aisle of the hardware store next to the zip ties. Might need to provide your own vhb tape.
If you are worried about hitting things you could attach the verticals with either a single bolt and we’ll-torqued nylock nut or some small gauge bolt that will snap off first.

I used the zip tie mounts for my wires and they’ve been fine. Mine are all weather VHB versions from Panduit because I didn’t want to Silkaflex each one. And again clean the metal well before applying each one. The hardware store versions might be fine as long as they are the black UV resistant models rated for outdoor use.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
If you are worried about hitting things you could attach the verticals with either a single bolt and we’ll-torqued nylock nut or some small gauge bolt that will snap off first.

I used the zip tie mounts for my wires and they’ve been fine. Mine are all weather VHB versions from Panduit because I didn’t want to Silkaflex each one. And again clean the metal well before applying each one. The hardware store versions might be fine as long as they are the black UV resistant models rated for outdoor use.
Nylon bolts for antenna mounts are a fantastic idea! I might have to swap out mine.

TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote