Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Santa Clara , Utah
Roof Internet Satellite

Has anyone installed a roof internet satellite system? Are they happy and do you have pictures? These systems are much bigger and more expensive than the TV systems, and I'm considering having one installed. But will the roof hold the weight and wind loadings, and how does it look? I would hate to compromise the structure and the look of the Airstream. I have a 25'.
Gbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have a KingDome mounted on the roof of my Safari 25. Haven't used it in 2-1/2 years! Television is not a priority when we're camping. If it is for you, get a cube or tripod mount. FYI, it works great if there are no obstructions.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I have a KingDome mounted on the roof of my Safari 25. Haven't used it in 2-1/2 years! Television is not a priority when we're camping. If it is for you, get a cube or tripod mount. FYI, it works great if there are no obstructions.
We also have both the KingDome and tripod setup. The KingDome gets used 25% and the tripod 75%. Usually where we camp there are trees around and over that keeps the KingDome from "seeing" the satellite. The tripod or cube is a better way to go
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I agree, from my experience, you are better off with a tripod or one of those cubes that set on the ground. You can put them anywhere to get a view of the sky. The campsites I stayed at were always too wooded for the stationary RV mount. They might be good for Class A, when the kids want to watch TV while your driving down the road.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Masontown , West Virginia
The Question Was

While I can't help directly, the OP is asking about Internet satellite dishes - - i.e., HughesNet and the like. I have never seen one of these on an Airstream, but when installed on Class A's and fifth wheels, they are generally reinforced with a fairly wide "platform" to distribute the static weight and the forces imparted by the wind. As I understand the Airstream roof, it might be problematic for one of these "big'uns". Good luck
TAC # WV-2
MountaineerStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Hughes Net is the only internet provider that tolerates moving their dish from a fixed location, but they do not give you any support for doing that. Wild Blue specifically forbids and knows if you move their dish, so that is a no no.

Today, unless you are camping in the real, true boonies (like where I live) a cell phone based net service is much more practical. If you can get phone, you can get net. I have Wild Blue internet Satellite service at home, and a Verizon cell net system for my travelings. Costly, but a price I pay for living very rural.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Hughes Net is the only internet provider that tolerates moving their dish from a fixed location, but they do not give you any support for doing that...
Dish Network has solutions for RVers, including packages that have a portable satellite dish and/or receiver. See Tailgater - Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Take TV Outdoors With DISH!

Many of the other RV satellite dishes will also support Dish Network, they have plans for that too.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Dish Network has solutions for RVers, including packages that have a portable satellite dish and/or receiver. See Tailgater - Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Take TV Outdoors With DISH!

Many of the other RV satellite dishes will also support Dish Network, they have plans for that too.
With internet?
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
With internet?
Oh, sorry, my mistake.

I missed the internet part. My brother was a dish installer a few years ago and, according to him, the restrictions are much more stringent for something up-linking to the satellites.

What I've seen in practice seems to bear that out. The Austin Region of the Economic Development Administration (part of the U.S. Department of Commerce) had a mobile internet lab a while back. It was a complex operation.

My apologies again.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
See the thread "WiFi-In-Motion" in this forum for a discussion of internet access via wireless carriers.
kordate is offline   Reply With Quote