Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Unfortunately I'm unable to post any photos, but I purchased a Diamond K-9000 electric motor and attached the omni-directional 8.5 Db gain WiFi antenna. I mounted then motor to a custom bracket attached to the air deflector that is between the AC and refrig roof vent. Ran the power wire and coaxial cable into the solar combiner box which came into an interior closet on the street side of the trailer. That's where I installed the Jefa WiFi router (powered via 12v DC) with the up/down motor switch. When we need WiFi, I press the up button and the antenna extends straight up and when we get ready to leave, press the down button and power off the router.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:03 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
The repeater in it's "refrigerator" rear location works quite well. It even reaches into the house!

I tested the systems capabilities by setting up a wifi hotspot on my wife's cell phone. I sent her walking down the street. Normally a hotspot on her phone is good for about 100' line of sight. When she reached the bend (about 600' away) I tested the signal. 92% 65mbps capable and was able to get 6 mb down and 9 MB up! Keep walking.

At the end of the street about an 1/8 of a mile away the signal dropped to 62% and about 24 mbps. I still could get 1mb (or a little less) down but had 2 mb up. I believe the antenna transmitter sends out a very strong signal for the up to be faster than the down.

Very successful! Cell phones do not have very strong transmitters so this should mean that an actual wifi router will transmit much further.

Turk, I went the usb repeater way also. It doesn't have holes to mount with. How did you mount to refrige wall?

DBLee and Southern Belle on the road
Old 06-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Turk, I went the usb repeater way also. It doesn't have holes to mount with. How did you mount to refrige wall?

DBLee and Southern Belle on the road
Velcro!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Disappointingly the bandwidth was being shared by so many that although we could surf the internet, and video streaming was sporadic. Certain times of the day were better and it was better than no internet so I guess I can say the system does work.
And basically that's the crux of it. Public Wifi is terribly unreliable. I put together a dual Wifi router system with a 22-element Yagi antenna only to find unreliable service as well - especially at the time when you need a good connection.

I gave up and use either my ATT iPhone's hotspot or my Verizon hotspot. LTE solutions are more costly but way more reliable.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Part of th issue with the radio labs equipment is that the antenna contains the router and it passes the connection to the inside repeater that acts as the wireless host for your computer or phones.

When you are located in a campground that uses one of the "canned" wifi company solutions, you have to log into their system using a browser page to log in. You may get it for free if offered or you may have to pay a daily fee. That process of logging in is only good for one connection and one device. The radio labs first connection is the router in the antenna. It will not pass the internet to the repeater (well, it will, but your login is lost) and you can no longer connect. Another annoying thing about campground services is that they auto disconnect after a short time making you go through the whole radio labs process to hook up again.

Many other "free" services like McDonalds do the same thing. You have to log in. The Radio labs system may not work as it also has to pass through the login, which it will not. Any system requiring a login or "agree" may not work with the radio labs.

I have to admit I am a bit disappointed in all the effort I put into this and such little results. If the wifi connection is "pure" or identified as "Guest" and truly open (no lock) it will work just fine.

I am also looking into ways to bypass the login screen. Android phones have apps that can do precisely that. I'm not sure that will still work with the radio labs, but I will be trying it.

Another note, many campers are using the wifi personal hotspots (cell phone) in the campgrounds. I could have hooked to two of them at the last campground we were at! I will not do this, but come on guys! Add a password to your hot spots!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
That is a superbly thought out installation. It gave me a lot of ideas. You have elegant solutions, even if it didn't give the results you hoped.

I'm torn, I go from the Boondocking thread to the Wi-Fi thread!

Eventually, we'll all have satellite internet like satellite radio or GPS. Ground based Wi-Fi will go the way of Loran and VHS.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote