Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Appleton , Wisconsin
Purchasing a 4G booster - do I get the interior whip or panel antenna?

I'm planning on purchasing a SureCall 4G booster and need to decide between the interior antenna options of whip or panel.

Will I notice a difference in performance between the two considering that I'll either be inside the AS or sitting under the awning?

I don't mind paying the extra $100 if it makes a big difference over the next few years of use to get the panel antenna.

Also interested to hear if placement is a major consideration considering that I'll usually be within 20' of the antenna.

FWIW I have a 2008 28' International CCD
Bradknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradknapp View Post
I'm planning on purchasing a SureCall 4G booster and need to decide between the interior antenna options of whip or panel.

Will I notice a difference in performance between the two considering that I'll either be inside the AS or sitting under the awning?

I don't mind paying the extra $100 if it makes a big difference over the next few years of use to get the panel antenna.

Also interested to hear if placement is a major consideration considering that I'll usually be within 20' of the antenna.

FWIW I have a 2008 28' International CCD
I install the WeBoost 4G-X cell boosters on a regular basis. I always pair them with a Wilson indoor 'plate' antenna (usually mounted to the ceiling) and a SureCall Omni outdoor antenna. The combination works well and I have had very positive feedback from my clients.

All of these components are readily available from 3Gstore.com
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Appleton , Wisconsin
Thanks Lew, I was thinking of SureCall but I'll look into WeBoost. As a pro installer do you think I'll see any difference in signal strength back in the bedroom if I put the antenna behind the TV in the lounge?
Bradknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradknapp View Post
Thanks Lew, I was thinking of SureCall but I'll look into WeBoost. As a pro installer do you think I'll see any difference in signal strength back in the bedroom if I put the antenna behind the TV in the lounge?
HI Brad,

Most folks seem to be able to use the entire length of the trailer when the Wilson panel antenna is placed around midships.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Hey Lewster- have you experimented with the dome shaped Wilson ceiling mounted antennas?
https://www.repeaterstore.com/produc...iant=967453461
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Hey Lewster- have you experimented with the dome shaped Wilson ceiling mounted antennas?
KYA,

I have not as my clients (and myself) have been very satisfied with the results from Wilson's panel antenna.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
I use that antenna in my 24' Tradewind with great success. Mounted it vertically inside the pantry at eye level. Good coverage throughout the trailer. I get 24 db boost with the trucker outside antenna, amplifier, and dome inside antenna.

I don't have a panel antenna to compare it to so no side-by-side comparison. The little Hershey bar antenna was worthless unless I was with a foot or 18 inches.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Mounted vertically inside the pantry? Meaning it works well even with the pantry door closed?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Generally speaking a whip antenna is a omni directional antenna and a flat one is directional. For the cellphone booster antennas the antenna is coiled inside of it.

Being there sold for consumers generally most get a panel type.

In either case cell phone signals are omni directional send and receive. If you have the space and don't mind a whip antenna it will most likely be your best bet. If your worried about cosmetic things a panel.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm researching this topic and after looking at some youTube videos of the Weboost 4g-X with the "Candy Bar" internal antenna you pretty much have to velcro the cell phone or Mifi onto the antenna to get the maximum boost. Once you move the device even a couple of feet away from the internal antenna you go from about -75dbm to -90dbm. Are your referring to the larger internal antenna (https://store.weboost.com/products/311135)? How can this antenna provide boosted signal throughout the trailer? I want to install in a 25fb. If the outside antenna wire is run down the fridge vent and the Weboost is mounted in the closet or on the TV wall how is it going to provide any boost. My understanding is the internal antenna is lower power to prevent oscillation interference with the external antenna which I'm thinking will be a SureCall omnidirectional mounted on the Winegard TV antenna arm.

Kelvin
Old 02-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You need maximum separation between the indoor antenna and outdoor units. I use the Sure Call omni in every WeBoost package that I install, along with the Wilson plate indoor antenna (which, BTW, is also an OMNI-DIRECTIONAL unit and is comprised of 2 flat plates inside the housing).

The indoor plate antenna is usually mounted flat on the ceiling in the dinette/lounge area and the Omni is placed on the roof at the opposite end of the trailer.

Works great every time!!!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Can the Wilson plate antenna be mounted in the hall closet up high? For ceiling mount do you position the plate antenna on the ceiling close to a floor to ceiling cabinet to keep any exposed cable to a minimum? I'm thinking for ceiling area adjacent to the fridge of my 25fb. The Weboost 4g X would be located in a small cabinet above the fridge or the wardrobe next to the fridge. It the Surecall ext Omni antenna is mounted on the Winegard antenna shaft is that too little separation when extended?

If the indoor antenna is mounted in the fridge ceiling area what is the expected db value for a device in the front bedroom and in the rear dinette area?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 02-28-2017, 05:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I usually mount the 4G-X inside the cabinet above the fridge, with the Wilson plate directly adjacent to it (no exposed cable). Not sure where your TV antenna mast is, but unless it's up front (many 25s have them right above the TV in the dinette/galley area) I would think that the separation would not be sufficient to avoid proximity problems.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Yes, my TV antenna is mounted adjacent to the fridge just above the porthole windows on the 25fb. So the plate interior antenna is installed inside the overhead cabinet and not on the hallway ceiling.

Have you performed a simple RSSI test on a cellphone when moving around the inside of the Airstream to see how much signal drop-off occurs with your suggested set up. With the 25fb the distance between the front bedroom (we have twins) and the dinette is probably less than 20ft.

Is this plate antenna use mainly for small homes?

Kelvin
Old 02-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Here is a youTube video showing a Weboost 4g-x install with the plate antenna. He performs some simple RSSI tests using his cell phones. The plate antenna provides a little more boost than the candy bar antenna but it doesn't seem worth the extra expense over the candy bar.

Why not use a home cellular booster install since we'd be using it only when parked. There are systems for large and small homes. They only caveat is the indoor antenna needs to be 30ft away from the outdoor antenna.

I wonder if the Airstream's aluminum shell allows a shorter distance between the outside and indoor antennas vs a fiberglass SOB.

Kelvin

Old 06-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
You need maximum separation between the indoor antenna and outdoor units. I use the Sure Call omni in every WeBoost package that I install, along with the Wilson plate indoor antenna (which, BTW, is also an OMNI-DIRECTIONAL unit and is comprised of 2 flat plates inside the housing).

The indoor plate antenna is usually mounted flat on the ceiling in the dinette/lounge area and the Omni is placed on the roof at the opposite end of the trailer.

Works great every time!!!
Lewster,
Do you have any tips on installers in the Eagle Colorado area? not so sure I could tackle the install myself.
SuperPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Cell Booster Install

Following Lewster’s advice, we are planning on purchasing a Weboost 4G-X cell booster with a Wilson indoor 'plate' antenna and a SureCall Omni outdoor antenna to install in our ’15’ Interstate Ext Lounge.

Do any of you know of a reputable/reliable dealer/person to install such in or around Central Ohio?

Have any of you had a positive experiences with Camping World for this kind of service?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Colorado
Has anyone thought about this? Jetpack[emoji768] 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot—AC791L
SuperPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPop View Post
Has anyone thought about this? Jetpack[emoji768] 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot—AC791L
SuperPop here are some threads that I have been following as we're thinking picking up a hotspot.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ck-133997.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ml#post1546027

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ek-146758.html

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Note to Verizon users:

Some Verizon Jetpacks are not "global devices". Our older MiFi 4510L was not global-network compatible, and it wouldn't work outside the USA (specifically, Canada). Consequently, we had to buy a newer model.

The MiFi 6620L is a newer device, but it is not the latest and greatest. However, it is global-network compatible; and new ones are available for under $100, which is about half the price of the latest MiFi "global" Jetpacks.

If your future plans include travel outside the USA, suggest you make sure your current Jetpack (or the one you intend to buy) is a global device: Verizon International Trip Planner
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote