Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
SuperPop's Avatar
 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Colorado
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post


Thank you very much. I know Verizon is the best service coverage (as compared to my current ATT). Hoping I can just switch services and not bother with the booster etc.
__________________

SuperPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
 
Kensington , Maryland
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 398
I'm about to dive into this as well.
Is there anything new I need to know since this thread ended?
Weboost 4g-x booster + wilson indoor antenna (part # ??) mounted to ceiling and surecall omni outdoor antenna (part # ??).

Thanks in advance. We just spent 5 glorious days in the mtns. with zero bars and it was awesome. Unfortunately nobody else felt that way, sigh
__________________

__________________
2017 25' FC FB "Buck"
Subforum dedicated to Airstreams and riding bicycles:
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f62/
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
I'm about to dive into this as well.
Is there anything new I need to know since this thread ended?
Weboost 4g-x booster + wilson indoor antenna (part # ??) mounted to ceiling and surecall omni outdoor antenna (part # ??).

Thanks in advance. We just spent 5 glorious days in the mtns. with zero bars and it was awesome. Unfortunately nobody else felt that way, sigh
It's really simple to order Wilson parts! Just call the 3G Store at 1 800 338 2378, tell them I sent you and tell them what you want. I have been using the Wilson WeBoost 4G-X cell system with the Sure Call antenna and Wilson plate antenna indoors with great results. I add this to almost every RV that I do solar on and the results have been just great. You will also need the mounting plate for the indoor Wilson antenna, which I think they also have.

You might want to try it yourself!!!!
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
 
Kensington , Maryland
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 398
Lew,
Just because you love giving free advice and I'd love to ply you with free beer and never know....

2017 FC 25' FB with solar.

You say the best place to stash the WeBoost is above the fridge. Got it.

Best place to tap 12 V?

Where to put the outside antenna and best route

Placement of indoor antenna is anywhere in the middle. Got it. What about running the coax cable from the weboost to the indoor antenna? Imagine I'd drill a hole in the over fridge cabinet and use stick on cable ties?

Thanks for the Wilson Info. Mrs. Too Tall says get this done!!! haha I hear and I obey.

Yeah...I'll definitely end up owing you a few beers.
__________________
2017 25' FC FB "Buck"
Subforum dedicated to Airstreams and riding bicycles:
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f62/
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,354
Howdy!

Outside antenna should be in the center of your trailer either at the front or rear of the roof. That makes the best location! Other spots in the middle also work, but the 2 I suggested work BEST!

If you are running the unit above the fridge, then you should tap into the fridge 12VDC outlet at the rear of the fridge. No better place.

Also, your indoor antenna can be located just above the fridge cabinet so as to reduce the amount of cable that you need for it.

Just a few suggestions! Have fun.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Lew,
Just because you love giving free advice and I'd love to ply you with free beer and never know....

2017 FC 25' FB with solar.

You say the best place to stash the WeBoost is above the fridge. Got it.

Best place to tap 12 V?

Where to put the outside antenna and best route

Placement of indoor antenna is anywhere in the middle. Got it. What about running the coax cable from the weboost to the indoor antenna? Imagine I'd drill a hole in the over fridge cabinet and use stick on cable ties?

Thanks for the Wilson Info. Mrs. Too Tall says get this done!!! haha I hear and I obey.

Yeah...I'll definitely end up owing you a few beers.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member
 
Kensington , Maryland
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 398
Lew can I lean on you again? The Wilson tech. is pushing their RV kit #470410 hard!
He says it is the best combo. I take you at your word and wanted to confirm before burning up my CC.
__________________
2017 25' FC FB "Buck"
Subforum dedicated to Airstreams and riding bicycles:
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f62/
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8,190
Hi

When you mount the "inside" antenna, consider that you need to get *really* close to it for maximum performance. Six inches is better than two feet is better than four feet in this case. You may want to mount the antenna near a seating location for this reason.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
 
Ponyfvr's Avatar
 
2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
It's really simple to order Wilson parts! Just call the 3G Store at 1 800 338 2378, tell them I sent you and tell them what you want. I have been using the Wilson WeBoost 4G-X cell system with the Sure Call antenna and Wilson plate antenna indoors with great results. I add this to almost every RV that I do solar on and the results have been just great. You will also need the mounting plate for the indoor Wilson antenna, which I think they also have.

You might want to try it yourself!!!!
Lewster thanks for your help. I called the 3Gstore and told them that you recommended them and they looked up what you order and I purchased the same. The 3Gstore was very easy to work with and the equipment is being delivered this Friday

Thanks again for your help and advice
__________________
Bob

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,354
Any time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
Lewster thanks for your help. I called the 3Gstore and told them that you recommended them and they looked up what you order and I purchased the same. The 3Gstore was very easy to work with and the equipment is being delivered this Friday

Thanks again for your help and advice
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
Ponyfvr's Avatar
 
2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I install the WeBoost 4G-X cell boosters on a regular basis. I always pair them with a Wilson indoor 'plate' antenna (usually mounted to the ceiling) and a SureCall Omni outdoor antenna. The combination works well and I have had very positive feedback from my clients.

All of these components are readily available from 3Gstore.com
Lew i ordered the parts form the 3Gstore and they are great to deal with. I have a 2015 25' International, where should I mount the SureCall Omni antenna?I know that the antenna should be located at the rear of the trailer and in the center, is there anything that I can bolt on to? I also bought the Wilson low loss 400 cable I assume that the cable will fit in the refrigerator vent.

Thanks for your help and all of the advice that you post on Airforums.

Bob
__________________
Bob

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,354
Glad that you went with the Wilson amplifier! I mount the outdoor Surecall Antenna to a couple of medium feet that are meant for solar panel use. Works GREAT!! I also place the antenna on the top of the compartment that is above the fridge with an on/off switch.

Your cable for the low loss 400 WILL definitely fit into your fridge vent. I usually remove the rivets for this, as I add the phone system when adding solar wire. You might do the same by drilling out the rivets, removing the screen, adding the phone wire and replacing all of the above with screws and SikaFlex over them.

If you send me your address, I'll gladly send a couple of feet to you, along with the rest of the required stuff. You should use stainless screws and grey SikaFkex. I can send you a whole install package if you like. Just let me know..........



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
Lew i ordered the parts form the 3Gstore and they are great to deal with. I have a 2015 25' International, where should I mount the SureCall Omni antenna?I know that the antenna should be located at the rear of the trailer and in the center, is there anything that I can bolt on to? I also bought the Wilson low loss 400 cable I assume that the cable will fit in the refrigerator vent.

Thanks for your help and all of the advice that you post on Airforums.

Bob
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member
 
fran&frank's Avatar
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 301
So I am trying to make sense of these two separate comments:
"Most folks seem to be able to use the entire length of the trailer when the Wilson panel antenna is placed around midships." (Lewster)
and "consider that you need to get *really* close to it for maximum performance. Six inches is better than two feet is better than four feet in this case." (Uncle Bob). So I'm not sure if I need maximum performance but will I get acceptable performance at both ends of my FC 27 with the indoor antennae midship, or should I put it at the end I will use it at the most?--Frank
__________________
Frank & Fran
2016 27' FC FB with 400 W solar
2016 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
 
Ponyfvr's Avatar
 
2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Glad that you went with the Wilson amplifier! I mount the outdoor Surecall Antenna to a couple of medium feet that are meant for solar panel use. Works GREAT!! I also place the antenna on the top of the compartment that is above the fridge with an on/off switch.

Your cable for the low loss 400 WILL definitely fit into your fridge vent. I usually remove the rivets for this, as I add the phone system when adding solar wire. You might do the same by drilling out the rivets, removing the screen, adding the phone wire and replacing all of the above with screws and SikaFlex over them.

If you send me your address, I'll gladly send a couple of feet to you, along with the rest of the required stuff. You should use stainless screws and grey SikaFkex. I can send you a whole install package if you like. Just let me know..........
I just sent you email. Thanks again

Bob
__________________
Bob

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #34
Rivet Slave
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,214
Blog Entries: 49
Purchasing a 4G booster - do I get the interior whip or panel antenna?

Our continuous experience with our system from Labor Day until now shows the following:

Hands down, the best solution is a Yagi antenna that we can aim at a cell tower, connected to a Cradlepoint Router (or other similar device) which then spits out WiFi that can be used both inside and outside the trailer. This system, without fail, has brought in surprisingly strong LTE signals and good performance.

An acceptable second-best in most cases is to use a WeBoost 4G-X booster, a Wilson panel antenna inside, and an Omnicall antenna on the roof. Sometimes it successfully and significantly boosts a signal, while at other times we see no difference the number of bars. It is definitely not as good as the Yagi-based solution above, but it is certainly better than the Wilson Sleek cradle booster that we used to have for our phone.

The best of the best is to have both solutions in your trailer so you can change configurations depending on what you find when you set up camp.

Again, I emphasize that we have been able to pull in a useable signal in almost every place we camped from Labor Day until now. One notable exception: Manzanita Lake Campground in Lassen Volcanic National Park. We got a bit of signal there now and then, but nothing we could really depend upon. Good thing we didnít really care that night! There were plenty of nights were we got full bars on our Yagi / router solution and watched Netflix while others were stumbling around outside with their cell phones hoping to find a bar or two.
__________________

__________________
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whip Antenna - whipping my shell! Widget Electronics & Connectivity 8 08-15-2015 08:10 PM
Replacement Antenna Whip 2003 clancy_boy Electronics & Connectivity 0 07-30-2012 01:17 PM
whip antenna hold downs Grand Master Audio, Video & TV 4 03-21-2010 09:36 AM
Will my whip antenna work ? 63air Audio, Video & TV 10 12-18-2009 04:41 PM
Whip antenna help needed PhilMateo Audio, Video & TV 4 04-27-2006 07:00 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×