Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Problems with XM Service

I usually don't like to slam a company but I feel the need to rant a little. I had XM radios for a couple of years and never had a problem. But when I wanted to discontinue their service, that's when the problems started.
In an effort to cut my spending I chose to cancel and called on 2-11-09.
At that time I had already paid for service in advance and had a credit due me of $256. They discontinued my service right away and said that in 2 to3 weeks the credit would reach my credit card. It's now 4-9-09. Still no credit and after many many calls they tell me that a supervisor will call me and I still have not heard from one.
Their customer service is just a phone bank in India. Their people are stupid and won't address the problem nor will they return my money.
The sales office calls me from time to time and asks if I want to sign up again. I tell them the story and still get no response or money. They just say, "I'll write a note and someone will call".
So just beware of this company before you too have a problem. They like to take your money but have a rough time giving it back.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This will give you the corp web page with address and phone number.

SIRI: Profile for Sirius XM Radio Inc. - Yahoo! Finance

I would write Mel Karmazin the CEO. He generally does not like bad publicity.

In your letter send a link to this thread

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Please slam away.

I'm convinced the apparent bumbling with companies like this is a deliberate plan to get us to give up so that they can keep our money.

Add E-Cost to your list. First they sell me a used unit they call "recertifed". It doesn't work. In order to return it you have to order a replacement and pay for it up front. Then when they get the first one back they say they will refund your money. Guess what? the replacement doesn't work either. I spend innumerable hours on the phone, got all kinds of promises which dragged on for months. Disputed the credit card charges and it all got so complicated I would have needed a team of accountants to figure it out.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Also keep in mind if you paid with a credit card you have 60 to 90 days, depending on the card, to contest the charge through the credit card company.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
HowieE, Thanks for the link. I will definately begin a letter to the CEO tonight.
It's a shame the company is run this way.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Know the CEO for E Cost?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Returning a receiver for DirecTV

It took about 2 months and 5 calls to get a return kit to return a receiver we were not using......and, of course, there is no record of the first 4 calls......each time I had to get out the box and give them the serial number of the box and the card....the fourth call I asked for some number that I could write down in case I didn't receive a return kit and the number she gave me was bogus..........the last time I received a confirming email.....

And while I am ranting, I was also having trouble with another receiver and they insisted it was the remote, so they sent me another remote ($15) and they promised to refund the $15....when the remote didn't fix the problem, they finally sent me a new box (another $20 or so) admitting they had trouble with that type box. Of course, they had a record of those calls.....the calls that were dial ### for #### and we are currently experiencing a heavy call volume.......and on and on the call merry go round....p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Looks like there are several companies today that are doing the same types of things to their customers. We just need to get the word out about these places and not support them anymore. I know it will be a cold day in hell before I throw any more money toward a company like XM/Sirius Radio Inc.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Bluto

You might want to send and E Mail to customer service and suggest they follow this thread to see how people feel.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio - Customer Care

Remember they may be a bit strapped for cash since they paid Howard Stern $500,000,000 for his first contract and are now in negotiations for his next one.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I usually don't like to slam a company but I feel the need to rant a little. I had XM radios for a couple of years and never had a problem. But when I wanted to discontinue their service, that's when the problems started.
In an effort to cut my spending I chose to cancel and called on 2-11-09.
At that time I had already paid for service in advance and had a credit due me of $256. They discontinued my service right away and said that in 2 to3 weeks the credit would reach my credit card. It's now 4-9-09. Still no credit and after many many calls they tell me that a supervisor will call me and I still have not heard from one.
How in the world did you happen to pay $256 in advance?

Thanks for the heads up. I have been thinking of hooking up to XM. Not now. BTW isn't XM now just a part of Sirius? Maybe you should call Sirius.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Longer subscription is cheaper

XM bought Sirius.........we have XM and they keep trying to get me to pay more to add Howard Stern and Martha Stewart to my XM subscription.....good luck with that........I am just happy that I get Car Talk on XM now on NPR.......pj...
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
How in the world did you happen to pay $256 in advance?

Thanks for the heads up. I have been thinking of hooking up to XM. Not now. BTW isn't XM now just a part of Sirius? Maybe you should call Sirius.

I had several radios on their system and paid for each one one year in advance to get a better deal. Then when one was ready to expire they charged me for another year and so on.
Yes, I was a fool! At least I feel like one now. But I will continue to bug them till I get my money back.
And yes they are the same company now and the 800 number for service is XM/ Sirius Company. They are the ones I've called many times.
I don't know if all their phone banks for the service dept. is answered by people in 3rd world countries but I have never spoke to anyone from the US yet. They must just farm all that work overseas for pennies on a dollar. Believe me they have bad service and the people do not understand the concept of what customer service is all about , nor do they care.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Vinton , Iowa
Guess I've been lucky. We have XM at home and Sirius in the Dakota and have enjoyed them both. We're currently looking at an '05 Bambi and I noticed it has an XM unit mounted in the cabinet over the dinette along with what may be an XM weather unit. Was this a factory option on the '05s or an aftermarket item? I was surprised to see it there.
RickH is offline   Reply With Quote