Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Not if you are out of the line of site of the transmitting tower. We stayed in two campgrounds along rivers in Iowa and Nebraska (state CG's). Both of which were in valleys significantly lower that the surrounding terrain. So no broadcast signals were available. But I could get satellite reception.
Good point. Where I grew up, we only got one channel over a very large antenna on a tall pole. People just a few blocks away, on top of the hill, got two more channels giving them all three networks.

Dish does have a program to provide network service for RVers, though. Have you looked at DISH Network® Distant Network Service?

One thing Dish didn't tell me is that the local channels for Little Rock were not HD even though I got a HD DVR. (I can view and record them in HD over the antenna, though.) That's OK because they will be adding HD channels for Little Rock in a few months. At least that's what they told me five years ago.

vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The thing that Dish Network failed to tell me is that I would not get local channels if I was out of my zip code area. Even though I pay for local channels. I would like to be able to view the broadcast channels (ABC, NBC, CBS etc) while traveling.
If you want to get networks when you are out of your home area, you need to subscribe to All American Direct. Be sure to indicate that you spend most of your time in your RV. We have been using them ever since Dish Network stopped offering "distant networks" some years back. We get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX from both San Francisco and New York. We are able to watch Leno at 8:35 in the evening when we are in the pacific time zone if we wish. Once you are hooked up to All American Direct, you will get their stations at home as well as on the road. Really handy if there are two network programs on at the same time that you want to watch. Watch one from New York and the other from San Francisco. Being as you are in Nebraska, you might get three sets of network programing. I don't know which network cities All American will give you in Nebraska.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1971 25' Tradewind
Dawson , Georgia
I have a '71 Trade Wind AS that does not have an external cable connection. Any advice on installing a satellite dish? Will I need to install a connector through the skin
paulrakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Originally Posted by paulrakel
I have a '71 Trade Wind AS that does not have an external cable connection. Any advice on installing a satellite dish? Will I need to install a connector through the skin
If you have this type of antenna amplifier switch, it it a matter of running a coax from the connector labeled cable to an external connector you mount on the skin.

You can the connect a park cable or your satellite antenna this way. The antenna switch is on for over the air reception from the batwing, off for your cable connection.

When running the cable from the switch to the outside connector you will need to provide a way to connect your satellite receiver in this loop. The newer Airstreams include a dual connector faceplate with a jumper. Jumper installed for cable, satellite receiver replaces the jumper. You may want to think about installing the jumper plate somewhere convenient for placement of your receiver.

The challenge may be fishing the cables to where you want them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1665941386.png
Views:	98
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	145931   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-225606601.png
Views:	104
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	145933  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-319230059.png
Views:	139
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	145934  
Attached Images
AIR 47751
Air Safe Hitch, Reese Dual Cam 800#, Centramatics
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Our trailer has the old flat wire to the roof top antenna. I ran a coax cable up thru the vent for the refer. There is a wire mesh screen in the belly pan. Left the connector hanging below the screen to make the connection.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Urbanna , Virginia
I used the Winguard, on my 2006 and it would not work, had to drill hole in backside of 'ref, and run cable into unit nd contact it to Dirctv Box and then to right side of the two TV plugs. Just moved into a 2007 and it now plugs into outside cable port and just undo the jumper and run the box to the right side and left port runs to cable in. Works great. Been using it for one year today
Bill Shuman
Urbanna, Va
Urbannabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1965 17' Caravel
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Question Direct TV HD hookup attempt

I am trying to install my Direct TV HD/DVR in my 2008 International Bambi. I have an external Slimline Dish and Tripod, run the cable to the cable inlet, but I have this HD/DVR has only one coax connection for SAT 1 in and another connection for SAT 2 in. I run a HDMI to the TV. Works fine on direct connect but not through the trailer connection. I guess I don't understand how to put the satellite receiver HD/DVR in between the Sat In and Sat Out coax connectors...what am I missing? I did see that I need to turn off the TV amplifier. ???
Mike Hamilton
WBCCI # 2766
2013 Airstream Interstate (Darth Vader)
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
How about the tailgater antenna; anyone using that for Dish NW?
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I checked the Tailgater of Dish and was impressed. One just sets it out and it will find the satelite; NO compass or level needed. The only connection is the coax from the dish to the reciever and than the TV; any power needed is through the coax. And all adjustments are done from inside using the TV.
For older AS"s, one can use a flat connector that goes between the frame and the window. Available at Radio Shack. This eliminates drilling, fishing and ??? to get connections
Price is about $500 for dish and receiver or $300 for the dish only. A specific receiver is needed.
Total set-up time is about 10 minutes per Dish.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2002 27' Safari
Churchville , Maryland
Usin Existing Trailer Wiring

My Dish system uses satellites 72 and 61.5 eastern arc. We have a portable dish just like the one on top of our house with two LNBs and one coax running to the receiver, a Dish VIP211Z. The AS is a 2003 Safari from the factory wired only for cable and broadcast roof-top-antenna. The shore cable connection is RG59. (same 75 ohm impedance as RG6 from dish) It was decoupled from the Winegard RV-7032 wall plate and connected to a barrel connector that I mounted in the same wall plate. It is the blue one in the photograph. Mounting the barrel there required enlarging the hole in the wall. Enough wall material was left to add the two screws to the left and right of the barrel connector. No measurable loss of signal was indicated on the satellite receivers signal level display.

Roof top antenna is still operational. The bedroom TV outlet gets signal only from the roof-top antenna with the modification. The shore cable connection can still be used for commercial cable but not at the same time as the satellite. With the modification it can't serve the bedroom outlet which we never use anyway.

I made no effort the try using the shore cable connection as factory wired because the wall plate contains a splitter that I believe would interfere with passing DC from the satellite receiver to the LNBs or at least load it down. Further signal reduction from the satellite would occur as it passed through the splitter.

Winegard makes the RV-7542 wall plate where they replace the 12 volt power connector with a barrel connector. I chose not to use the RV-7542 because we use the 12 volt outlet.

Cable is offline   Reply With Quote