Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Question Direct TV HD hookup attempt

I am trying to install my Direct TV HD/DVR in my 2008 International Bambi. I have an external Slimline Dish and Tripod, run the cable to the cable inlet, but I have this problem...my HD/DVR has only one coax connection for SAT 1 in and another connection for SAT 2 in. I run a HDMI to the TV. Works fine on direct connect but not through the trailer connection. I guess I don't understand how to put the satellite receiver HD/DVR in between the Sat In and Sat Out coax connectors...what am I missing? I did see that I need to turn off the TV amplifier. ???
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
How about the tailgater antenna; anyone using that for Dish NW?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I checked the Tailgater of Dish and was impressed. One just sets it out and it will find the satelite; NO compass or level needed. The only connection is the coax from the dish to the reciever and than the TV; any power needed is through the coax. And all adjustments are done from inside using the TV.
For older AS"s, one can use a flat connector that goes between the frame and the window. Available at Radio Shack. This eliminates drilling, fishing and ??? to get connections
Price is about $500 for dish and receiver or $300 for the dish only. A specific receiver is needed.
Total set-up time is about 10 minutes per Dish.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Churchville , Maryland
Usin Existing Trailer Wiring

My Dish system uses satellites 72 and 61.5 eastern arc. We have a portable dish just like the one on top of our house with two LNBs and one coax running to the receiver, a Dish VIP211Z. The AS is a 2003 Safari from the factory wired only for cable and broadcast roof-top-antenna. The shore cable connection is RG59. (same 75 ohm impedance as RG6 from dish) It was decoupled from the Winegard RV-7032 wall plate and connected to a barrel connector that I mounted in the same wall plate. It is the blue one in the photograph. Mounting the barrel there required enlarging the hole in the wall. Enough wall material was left to add the two screws to the left and right of the barrel connector. No measurable loss of signal was indicated on the satellite receivers signal level display.

Roof top antenna is still operational. The bedroom TV outlet gets signal only from the roof-top antenna with the modification. The shore cable connection can still be used for commercial cable but not at the same time as the satellite. With the modification it can't serve the bedroom outlet which we never use anyway.

I made no effort the try using the shore cable connection as factory wired because the wall plate contains a splitter that I believe would interfere with passing DC from the satellite receiver to the LNBs or at least load it down. Further signal reduction from the satellite would occur as it passed through the splitter.

Winegard makes the RV-7542 wall plate where they replace the 12 volt power connector with a barrel connector. I chose not to use the RV-7542 because we use the 12 volt outlet.
Cable is offline   Reply With Quote