Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
BLUE SPRINGS , Missouri
Playing music from your computer through the mounted speakers

Hi Airstream Geniuses!

So we have a 2005 International CCD (22') and right now it has a nice 4 speaker system mounted in the overhead cupboards, very low profile. There's also a mounted stereo headplate that has the flip face and you can slide CDs in it and they play beautifully. Unfortunately, we're trying not to bring CDs and would much rather play music from our Mac and have it play through the speakers. I know I can bring portable speakers and set them on the table or whatever but I would rather do something way sexier than that and play through the existing speakers.

Any brilliant ideas for how to do this???

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
I was also thinking about this. I would like to use my ipod but would also consider my laptop. I have the external CD changer next to my stereo. I though maybe i could tap into the jacks that go to the changer. Those are aux jacks just waiting for a source.. why not a laptop? Maybe someone smarter than i in this arena could shed some lite on this..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Play music into Airstream radio

Hi:

We have a 2004 Classic so not sure if the radio is the same model but I will use our model as an example. We have the Sony CDX-CA710X radio. Sony has (or had) a model XA300 electronic switch that plugs into the radio in the back. The XA300 has two AUX and another input (I forget what it is) and you select through the inputs using the remote. I use one AUX for just what you want to do using my MacBook Pro with 1,800 Jazz albums in MP3 format or Ipod. The other AUX is used for TV audio. I ran a pair of shielded cables from the XA300 over to the credenza where we keep the TV. Switch to AUX and you get better audio. I also replaced all the speakers from stock to Infinity with better bass.

Regards

Paul Warenycia
Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I also added the XA300 to the Sony radio in my 2005 CCD (got it from Crutchfield). I play an iPod through one of the inputs. It has a USB connector, so I can play a DVD movie on my laptop computer and feed the sound through the trailer speakers. It adds a lot of versatility - I think it's worth more than having the CD changer option.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If your radio doesn't have an AUX jack on the front or back, the best choice is to replace the radio with one that does (and probably go for a USB jack too). It works great for us- iPod and Mac playing through the speakers.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Our 2004 Safari has the JVC unit which playes DVD's throught the speaker system, AM, FM and the of course CD's. We added to extra speakers over the dinette and a speaker selector set so we can choose between all speakers, galley, dinette, bed area or outside. We also have to AUX inputs ojn the back of the unit so I built a Bluetooth receiver so we caqn play off our laptop or other Bluetooth capable toys. No wires no fuss. Another option would be one of those MP3/IPod FM transmitters which we had before the Bluetooth and it worked quite well.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I think you can make this uncomplicated

I believe that if you purchase a cord (many are 3' or 6') that has a 3.5mm male plug on one end the other splits to two RCA jacks. You can plug the 3.5mm into the Mac's earphone recepticle and the RCA jacks into the AUX IN plugs in the cabinet next to the stereo. On my stereo (it's a Sony) I can switch it to I think Aux 2 (with the "source" button). I believe you can also use this on an Ipod. BTW these cords are available at WalMart, Target, Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc. (very available).
Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
One more thing.

As an after thought...if your AS is like mine, where your RCA receptiles are in the cabinet next to where the stereo is, there is a twelve volt cigarette type power point where you could plug in your Mac with a car charger and run it for your whole playbook.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Another option is to get a cassette adapter. This looks like a cassette tape with a wire attached. You put the adapter in the casstte player & plug the jack into the headphone/speaker output of your music playing device.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
I just pulled out my deck last night and took it to a car stereo repair guy in my hometown. He said he would add a cable that i could simply plug my ipod into. Since its an older sony unit he added it to cassette channel. So when i switch to the cassette it now allows the ipod to feed audio through the head unit and operate as if it has a input jack. This was a pretty inexpensive solution.. I dont use cassettes so i wont miss that feature.

Thanks for all the ideas

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
BLUE SPRINGS , Missouri
All such great stuff! Thank you SO much - it is great to have such a supportive community! May we see each other on the road!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I have a cheap dodad from wallmart that plugs into my laptop sound plug that converts the signal into a radio frequency that can be picked up by my in house stereo. There are times you have to fuss with it to get rid of static, but it seems to work.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #13
Aluminum Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Thanks for the info folks. I was trying to get my iMac to play through the house speakers last weekend in our new 28 CCD. Tried plugging in the RCA jacks into every orifice in the back of the Sony receiver. Now I know why it didn't work.

Here is what I am planning to do. I have a female RCA jack to 1/8 mini plug adapter to plug into the iMac. I will use the same type of adapter to plug into the front of the Sony player (it has a front Aux jack). Total price about $10.00 CDN. Can't wait for this weekend to try it out.

Tags
computers, music