Old 06-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just did the install of a Pepwave BR1 myself - I am starting out with the built in antennas - but super excited to know that the boosted antennae work should this dude not be enough. I am hoping that having two cell provider sims (Verizon and AT&T) will cover the weaker spots and let me get away without an antenna as I am a little leery of running cable to the outside of the AS.

www.tinsheets.com
www.tinsheetstothewind.com
TinSheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #16
ARF
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Waban , Massachusetts
Possible locations for wifi and cell components?

Purchasing our first RV and AS. Pickup is July 19. We will then be fulltiming for a year starting Sep 1. Going with a similar configuration as Ohiobrits (MobileMark antenna, Pepwave Max BR1 router, weBoost Drive 4GX cell booster and Wilson 50ohm Dome internal antenna), and may want to support other components (as does BoldAdventure) - like AppleTV.

My wife wants best possible connectivity so our kids and her parents will be able to reach us so we are maximizing signals for both wifi and cell. Plan on using our current Verizon plan for primary voice and data and the TMobile 6GB plan with unlimited streaming for video sites. We expect to spend most of our "online" time in the dinette/lounge area.

The dealer (CanAm) will be installing the wiring and components into our new FC27FB with one AC unit. CanAm is also installing our solar system, so they will already be running wires from the roof.

Where are best locations to house the electronic components?

My current plan is to place the MobileMark at the front of the trailer roof and the electronic components in the cabinet above the dinette at the back of the trailer. We would then mount the internal cell dome antenna on the ceiling directly in front of the ceiling cabinet. This would allow for a 20' separation between the external and internal antenna. With the door open, we should also be able to get some boosted cell signal if we are sitting directly outside next to the trailer. I assume there must already be 12V power in the overhead cabinet because that is where the DVD and stereo components are installed.

I welcome your experience-based suggestions and comments!

Thanks, Allen

Old 09-22-2016, 12:55 AM   #17
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Would love to hear details on the setup and how your solution is working now that it has probably been installed and you're likely on the road. Any insights would be most welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARF View Post
Purchasing our first RV and AS. Pickup is July 19. We will then be fulltiming for a year starting Sep 1. Going with a similar configuration as Ohiobrits (MobileMark antenna, Pepwave Max BR1 router, weBoost Drive 4GX cell booster and Wilson 50ohm Dome internal antenna), and may want to support other components (as does BoldAdventure) - like AppleTV.

My wife wants best possible connectivity so our kids and her parents will be able to reach us so we are maximizing signals for both wifi and cell. Plan on using our current Verizon plan for primary voice and data and the TMobile 6GB plan with unlimited streaming for video sites. We expect to spend most of our "online" time in the dinette/lounge area.

The dealer (CanAm) will be installing the wiring and components into our new FC27FB with one AC unit. CanAm is also installing our solar system, so they will already be running wires from the roof.

Where are best locations to house the electronic components?

My current plan is to place the MobileMark at the front of the trailer roof and the electronic components in the cabinet above the dinette at the back of the trailer. We would then mount the internal cell dome antenna on the ceiling directly in front of the ceiling cabinet. This would allow for a 20' separation between the external and internal antenna. With the door open, we should also be able to get some boosted cell signal if we are sitting directly outside next to the trailer. I assume there must already be 12V power in the overhead cabinet because that is where the DVD and stereo components are installed.

I welcome your experience-based suggestions and comments!

Thanks, Allen

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #18
ARF
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Waban , Massachusetts
Notes on installed system

Here is the final system I installed (with help from dealer on the wiring). We have a 2017 FC 27FB Twin.

Components (all from 3G Store)
  • MobileMark 4-Cable Antenna for MiMo 3G/4G Cellular, GPS, & WiFi - White - 35' Cables
  • Wilson 50ohm Wide Band Interior Dome Antenna - 304412
  • 10' Black RG58 Cable (SMA/Male & N/Male Connectors) (connects internal antenna to Max BR
  • Pepwave MAX BR1 Router With Embedded US/Canada/South America 3G/4G Modem
  • weBoost Drive 4G-X 50db 5-Band Repeater Kit
  • Hardwire Power Harness for 6V Wilson/weBoost Amplifiers

Installation Notes:
  • The MobileMark antenna is mounted on the front of the trailer and the cables run outside along the roof. This is to maximize the distance between the external and internal antennas, which should be at least 20'. The dealer insulated and secured the cables with the proper tape along the roof. However - I wanted to add Fantastic Fan hoods after the fact and could not do so on the front fan because the cables were run right along side the fan flange. Keep that in mind for your own install.
  • The Wilson interior dome antenna is installed under the overhead cabinets above the dinette. Pictures attached. This antenna rebroadcasts the boosted cell signal (not the wifi signal).
  • The MobileMark antenna cables are terminated in the right overhead cabinet above the dinette. This is where I installed the weBoost and the Max BR1.
  • I had the dealer hardwire the power supplies for the Max BR1 and the weBoost into the 12V system of the trailer. They connected the wires into the 12V line feeding the right overhead spot light above the dinette. You can access this line by removing the stereo speaker.
  • Right now both components are loose - I plan on mounting them to the side wall of the overhead cabinet.
  • The power supply connector on the MaxBR1 is loose - need to tape it down or hardwire it into the router.

Operation:
  • The weBoost just works when you plug it in. No configuration necessary. We get an excellent cell signal throughout our trailer.
  • The MaxBR1 requires some configuration - specifically to create your own SSID and password, and to configure and prioritize the WAN sources - whether a local wifi and/or cell service with sim cards. I have some experience with these devices so it was a no-brainer. Download the manual to your computer or iPad so you can read it offline. 3GStore also has excellent tip sheets.
  • Note that the MaxBR1 does not have a separate internal antenna to broadcast its wifi signal. It uses the same antenna to receive and rebroadcast wifi signals. So our wifi is now broadcast by the MobileMark installed outside at the front of the trailer. As of now, this is not a problem. If I start noticing poor wifi reception from the MaxBR1 inside the trailer, I will install a basic Netgear Wifi router - which runs on 12V (or use my Apple Time Capsule, but requires 15A service) to generate an internal wifi network.
  • I have two cell services installed in the MaxBR1 - TMobile and Verizon. I got TMobile mostly for its unlimited streaming of video services. But we have been in Canada since the start of our trip and most of those services do not allow access out of the US. The TMobile signal here in Canada is definitely not as good as that of Verizon.

Hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1887.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	272416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1888.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	272417