View Poll Results: What computer do you use?
PC 181 50.14%
Mac 196 54.29%
Other 7 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi
Windows strong suit- it will run on cheap generic hardware, an edition of Windows is frequently supported for 10+ years, software availibility, and most cases tends to have a fast user interface.
And this is the main reason that Windows sucks so horribly. Cheap hardware has bad quality control and poor tolerances. They also have poorly written drivers. All of these lead to mysterious BSODs (Blue Screen of Death). Doing the same thing to a Mac, like adding super cheap RAM, can bring it to it's proverbial knees with hardware memory errors.

On the PC side, I've had my best luck with Windows stability by either buying a workstation quaility unit (Optiplex, etc) or by building my own with quaility components. My home built 2.4ghz P4 tower has served me for years with only one or two BSODs, and those were related to SP2 upgrades and issues with drivers.

Oh, and for those that DO have to run enterprise applications or other windows only programs on their Intel Mac, do check out Parallels Dekstop for Mac. It is a fantistic program and boots Windows faster than any PC I've ever used. I run it every day on my Macbook.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Pixar uses MACs for their movies. Bert Rutan designs all of his airplanes on a MAC. Nuff said. I've been on MACs all my life.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #115
Rivet Master

A friendly note (sp please don't take this the wrong way!): MAC (all caps) is an acronym that stands for Media Access Control and is a networking term. Mac (for Macintosh) is a proper name should only have the first letter in caps.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Ok, thanks. but I still like my MAC

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Old 06-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Lol, as long as you don't go to the DARK SIDE
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Also LOL. Karma to ya. Thanks for the ribbing. Even my Mac (desktop and two laptops) loved it.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Old 06-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Hey- Macs are edging out PCs in the poll. Could it have something to do with Airstreamers appreciating design???
Old 06-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #120

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
Hey- Macs are edging out PCs in the poll. Could it have something to do with Airstreamers appreciating design???
Maybe we think with a different side of the brain? It's been 7 months since I got my first Mac (Macbook Pro), and its just been delightful. After my entire PC carreer dealing with Microsoft operating systems and various hardware, I finally made the jump. Things are changing out there and while there isn't a lot of stuff out there (like in the Microsoft world), I am seeing some software now coming in either in Mac versions or being packaged with Mac and Win versions in the same box.

I just was looking at a GPS and found a GPS that will converse via Bluetooth to my Mac. Also encouraging is some Mac software called Route Buddy that will interface with the GPS unit itself.

I had to buy a new laptop for an organization I belong to (I'm the treasurer), so I'm now dealing with a new Toshiba PC and Vista business edition. It's obviously different and quite honestly I tried to convince the Board that a Macbook would have done us well (but they had fears). I'll take my Mac over that Vista machine any day.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
We have a DELL with a Epson printer at home and a DELL Laptop with an HP
printer.

I have a DELL at work.

The DELL computers ...FINE

Epson Printer....problems. Always needs ink or cleaning

HP Printer...great
Old 06-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Appreciating Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
I am inclined to agree. My blue G4 case looks great in the Excella. The curved case fits right in. This is coming from my Gateway at work, MAC address 00-04-75-C4-C1-07.

Vaughan
Old 06-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Mac for me

Currently use a mac book for all my personal applications. Only wish the mac book was available in the titanium case. Use a windows laptop for work applications and can't believe anyone would be satisfied with such poor performance.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #124
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
We travel with two MacBook Pros - wouldn't have anything else. And, would never, ever consider a PC (Piece of C___). If you have ever used a Mac, you would never go back to a PC!

Can't wait to see the iPhone in person!! If you can't tell, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Mac person.
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #125
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi
Windows strong suit- it will run on cheap generic hardware.
Well, yes, that is true, but you can also get a entry level Mac Mini and that can also fill a niche as well. The problem with the cheapo PCs is that after you add all the things to get it up to where it needs to be, it really isn't all that cheap. Of course the person who spends $399 on a new PC, then complains it doesn't have a DVD burner, it only has 512mb of RAM and the hard drive is too small, let alone not having gigabit Ethernet, or maybe even a wireless card.....my point is that you get what you pay for. The Mac is no different. The Mini is the same way.

Bottom line, there have been few folks that I have met that have bought Macs and dropped them and said, I missed my PC. Kind of like the Airstreamer that says my tow vehicle is too robust, I think I need an Intrepid.

BTW, somewhat related, I heard the reviews on the new iPhone. Sounds like it isn't quite what we all expected. Turns out that it's $60/mo for the service for it and you need to sign a 2 year agreement from what I read. Additionally, there are some issue with email and the ability to type emails from the touch screen keyboard. Can you say REV 2. I bet that the 2 year agreement is gonna tank it for a lot of consumers, particularly that the $$ is so high. I also read that it isn't even connected to the fast AT&T network, still the old system.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
There is still a lot more to like about the iPhone than not to like and Apple once again has defined a quantum leap in how we will think of phones. In a year there will probably be knockoff copying competitors. But you are right about Rev 2. Thankfully I can wait since I am heavily married to Verizon after lobbying and getting my whole family on it for unlimited minutes and long distance calling for free.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote