Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What computer do you use?
PC 182 50.42%
Mac 195 54.02%
Other 7 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #321
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
A more likely restriction is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstar View Post
Next time you buy an I phone ask an Apple rep about the "lifetime limit". I was once told an individual has a lifetime limit of ten I Phone purchases.

I am sure that is to keep someone from buying and reselling (or jailbreaking) phones for profit. Interesting, but when they get enough generations out in the marketplace they will probably change that.

Corky
...based on the number of purchases of the same model or version. From time to time, Apple has limited the number of purchases of iPhones at the same time so as to limit resales via Ebay, for example. I suspect Apple is quite happy to have people upgraded models of its products over time. They just don't want to have a black market in high-demand items when they are released. Makes sense to me.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #322
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
Thanks for the tip Cam - however - I'm the last of the hand drawing/drafting generation. The last years that I was gainfully employed in architecture were spent in management and policy development. When I designed our house I sketched it all out by hand (to scale) and turned it over to a draftsman to do the contract drawings.

Lately I've been doing some drawing on Illustrator. Adobe has some really cool graphics software.

I started draughting before computers really came onto the scene. We never had computers at university and it was several years before I worked at an office that used them. Most offices that were computerized ran Autocad, but a few were out there that ran on macs and used minicad (the precursor to vectorworks). Now that I've given up my PC's, I've switched to Vectorworks and am enjoying it. I'm just starting out and learning, so it will be a while before this software becomes 'second nature' like Autocad. Still do all my design by hand though. I'd be lost without pen and paper. Next up is to learn sketch up.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #323
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
@ Cameron - The Adobe products are the best for graphic creation (non-3d). If you like Illustrator and are into drawing, you may also find it more natural to use a Wacom tablet instead of mouse and keyboard. They are setup to be used like a pen/pencil so line drawing is natural. Cheers!
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #324
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Bowmans, thanks for the tip. Outside of Autocad and Vectorworks, my knowledge of graphics software is zero. I still do a lot of hand drawing and then rely upon my draughting software to create presentation and production drawings. Some day, I may venture into uncharted territory, but right now, I'm still getting used to Vectorworks.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #325
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I picked up on a tip on the webs that said to use the apple store app on my current iPhone. Had one reserved in about 1 min. Kind of funny that my current iPhone reserved it's replacement. It probably was upset with itself, and yes it does have feelings.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:39 AM   #326
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
Now after 30 years of PC I work with mac. Refreshing! It gives pleasure again!
Greetings from Switzerland
Werner
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #327
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I Now fall in two camps. Run Linux for the desktop machine, and just getting used to the new addition. iPad!!
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #328
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
I Now fall in two camps. Run Linux for the desktop machine, and just getting used to the new addition. iPad!!
The iPad is pretty amazing. We're out in the Airstream this weekend and I'm using the pad to send this. We've had our iPad ever since the 3G was released at the end of April. I discover something new on it every day and it just blows me away.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Star Walk app. It's great for checking out the night sky while camping. Just hold it up to the sky and it will display and identify what you're looking at. As you move it moves with you. It's so amazing that it's spooky!!!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #329
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
... the 128K model, cost about $3,500 including the dot matrix printer in 1984 even with the academic discount that my wife obtained. That's when $3,500 was real money.

It's astonishing to see how much the price/performance equation has changed over the years. I bought a hard disk drive for my Wang 2200 minicomputer in 1979. It had 10 megabytes of storage capacity, 5 meg fixed and 5 meg removable on a platter about 2 feet in diameter. The drive was so heavy that two people could barely lift it. The price: $30,000!!!! Now, you can buy a terabyte for about $250. That is 100,000 times as much capacity for less than 1% of the 1979 price. Truly amazing.
LOL - truly amazing is an understatement!!! In 1992 I paid over $500 for a 40MB external hard drive for my Mac LC. Now I can get a 1TB external for my iMac for a fraction of that.

I'm also convinced that this iPad, iPhone, iPod, iMac thing is part of one great big cult. If so then what a way to go!!!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #330
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
I started draughting before computers really came onto the scene. We never had computers at university and it was several years before I worked at an office that used them. Most offices that were computerized ran Autocad, but a few were out there that ran on macs and used minicad (the precursor to vectorworks). Now that I've given up my PC's, I've switched to Vectorworks and am enjoying it. I'm just starting out and learning, so it will be a while before this software becomes 'second nature' like Autocad. Still do all my design by hand though. I'd be lost without pen and paper. Next up is to learn sketch up.
Cam - I've been an Adobe Illustrator user for several years now. When I switched back to a Mac I did a cross-platform upgrade and got the CS5 suite. It's a pretty incredible graphics package.

I'll have to check out SketchUp. It looks pretty cool and best of all Google offers a free version.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 06-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #331
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
My brief experience with SketchUp Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
I'll have to check out SketchUp. It looks pretty cool and best of all Google offers a free version.
I wanted a drafting app with dimensioning and was able to get SketchUp Pro for free as an academic.

I used to be a draftsman (mostly Summers in college) and have used other CAD programs years ago. I had high hopes for SketchUp but after a few attempts on simple drawings, I was disappointed. Frankly, this is the worst interface I can imagine for a CAD app. If there was an easy way to just do a 2D drawing and then optionally turn it into a 3D rendering, that would be ideal and logical to me. But, to start in the 3D imaging mode and having to add and subtract 3D objects to accomplish even the simplest tasks is extremely cumbersome. It's very, very hard to get objects sized correctly.

Perhaps, I've done something wrong. Perhaps, I must climb the steep learning curve. Perhaps, there is something better. For me, I'll just go back to paper and pencil.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #332
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Daphne , Alabama
About two years ago I bought my wife a killer Dell Vostro 17" laptop. At the time, Vista was the only operating system available. Last fall we upgraded her to Windows 7 which is a really dumbed-down operating system in my opinion. After a few month, she was so disgusted with it we bought her an Apple Macbook Pro 15". The $1,600 Dell has been collecting dust ever since. She says that the Mac is what computing should be all about.

I have to use a Dell laptop with XP at work, but if I had my choice, I would go with the Mac.
flynaxos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #333

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
We just picked up a 3G iPad ourselves. It's maiden voyage was to the Moraine View rally last weekend. It passed with flying colors. Unfortunately with all the rain and clouds, we didn't run the star app which as someone else noted pretty cool. On the other end we gave the weather app a good workout, watching the radar for the end of the storms.

I'm glad we held out for the 3G version rather than the one which is WiFi only.......although if you have one of those Verizon or Sprint MiFi cards you can get away with the WiFi iPad only.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #334
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Should you get the shiney new object?

A flow chart to help decide.

Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #335