View Poll Results: What computer do you use?
PC 180 50.00%
Mac 196 54.44%
Other 7 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #295
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Use the iPad once and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post

I finally got so fed up with it that I decided it was time to go back to a Mac. I have no regrets! I'm now a total iPerson. I have an iPod, an iPhone, an iMac and now an iPad. Apple rules!

BTW - the iPad is totally cool
... you'll reflexively reach for your credit card.

With access to books, music, video, TV, and 200,000+ apps, the iPad is a beautiful fit for the traveling Airstreamer. I find that iPad performance on wireless networks exceeds that of my nearly brand new MacBook Pro. The speed of the the iPad is astonishing. Mine is a 32 gigabyte version but my next one will be the larger 64 gigabyte version.

Oh, I'll also preorder the new Apple iPhone with iOS4 today and get a $99 iPhone 3GS for my wife rather than pass along my old iPhone 2.5G. Much has changed in just 3 years and the new phone is another tour de force.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #296
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Well - it's time this thread was resurrected for some further discussion.

BTW - the iPad is totally cool

So maybe you can help me out!

I have a couple of Mac laptops and several ipods including a Touch.

Much as I like new gadgets, I can't really figure out why I would need an iPad!

I'd be happy to be convinced, but it just seems to me that most things can be done better and more conveniently with a Macbook or a Touch.

What am I missing here? They do seem to be selling very well, but is it to folks who don't own laptops and ipods?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #297
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

I'd be happy to be convinced, but it just seems to me that most things can be done better and more conveniently with a Macbook or a Touch.

What am I missing here? They do seem to be selling very well, but is it to folks who don't own laptops and ipods?

Brian
Start by thinking of the iPad as a Touch with 4 times as much screen size. Then, add the iPad-specific apps and you will see what a difference this makes in usability and convenience. Books, movies, pictures and everything else benefits hugely from the larger screen and the improved microprocessor.

Have a look at the Apple web site and the iPad videos. Next, go to an Apple store or find someone who has one so you can see for yourself what the buzz is all about. "Game-changer" is ordinarily and overused phrase, but in this case it is true. You'd think the iPhone and iPod Touch are about as good as it gets, but your perceptions will change in an instant with the iPad.

Disclaimer: I'm a happy Apple shareholder.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #298
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Jim,

Now that you've come into the light, you'll have to give Vectorworks a spin!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I just read somewhere last week that apple's OS is now used on more machines that Microsoft but for the life of me, can't remember where. Or was it that their stock was worth more now. Was a huge story remembering when apple was such a small market. I guess they were counting the ipod and iphone product OS if it was that.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #300
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Apple passed Microsoft two weeks ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmans View Post
I just read somewhere last week that apple's OS is now used on more machines that Microsoft but for the life of me, can't remember where. Or was it that their stock was worth more now. Was a huge story remembering when apple was such a small market. I guess they were counting the ipod and iphone product OS if it was that.
... as the American company with the second highest stock capitalization. Presently, Apple stands at about $232 billion in market cap; Microsoft has about $224 billion; ExxonMobil has about $286 billion in the number one position.

About two months ago Apple was behind ExxonMobil, Microsoft, Walmart, and Berkshire Hathaway. It passed Google, IBM, and HP many moons ago. It is also about 7 times more valuable than Dull.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #301
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
iPad must have pushed them over the top of Microsoft. Doesn't surprise me that they did. The only real hold back was their price point but that has come way down as well as introducing the side units like iPhones, iPads and iPods. I'm personnally going to wait for the iDoitall before upgrading...
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #302
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
But, look at all the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmans View Post
I'm personnally going to wait for the iDoitall before upgrading...
... fun and productivity you will have lost by waiting for iDoitall, which, of course, will never come. What's the point?

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #303
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Spring Hill , Florida
Been a Mac person since the birth of my daughter in 1982. Apple II+ with 48K ram, added a 80 column card with another 16K and upper/lower case. Paid $2400 for it in 1982 dollars! It was such an amazing machine, I remember really wishing I had had something like that when I was I in college. All those all-nighters typing final drafts of papers...how glorious it would have been to just hit a key and it prints itself!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #304
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Denver , Colorado
I've always used WinTel machines to be compatible with work. I'm in Technologies and understand well how much we spend trying to keep that fleet up and running and safe.
Meantime I bought Macs for my two daughters through HS and college. Never had a problem. Ever. Just a few hard drive failures (sudden impacts perhaps?) and upgrades. But overall I spent hours keeping my home PC running and zero hours keeping theirs running. It took me years to learn, but I finally ditched the Dell and now use only my MacBook at home. And yes, I can connect to my Citrix system at work and even remote to my desktop from this Mac. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.
AIR #35886
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #305
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Interesting support comparison...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
I've always used WinTel machines to be compatible with work. I'm in Technologies and understand well how much we spend trying to keep that fleet up and running and safe.
Meantime I bought Macs for my two daughters through HS and college. Never had a problem. Ever. Just a few hard drive failures (sudden impacts perhaps?) and upgrades. But overall I spent hours keeping my home PC running and zero hours keeping theirs running. It took me years to learn, but I finally ditched the Dell and now use only my MacBook at home. And yes, I can connect to my Citrix system at work and even remote to my desktop from this Mac. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.
When I was CIO of our subsidiary of a large, global bank, my annual support budget for 1,100 Windows computers was $3 million. We once had a department that used Macs exclusively. For those 25 machines and peripherals, our support budget was $0. Whatever problems they had they either solved themselves or got a few minutes of assistance from my staff. No big deal. I suppose a cynic would argue that without the Windows machines that needed constant attention, I never would have had a staff to offer assistance to the Mac users.

Oh, BTW, the Macs had no antivirus software because there weren't any viruses to be found. Also, the useful life of the Macs was double that of the Windows machines.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #306
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Jim,

Now that you've come into the light, you'll have to give Vectorworks a spin!
Thanks for the tip Cam - however - I'm the last of the hand drawing/drafting generation. The last years that I was gainfully employed in architecture were spent in management and policy development. When I designed our house I sketched it all out by hand (to scale) and turned it over to a draftsman to do the contract drawings.

Lately I've been doing some drawing on Illustrator. Adobe has some really cool graphics software.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #307
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

Brian
Brian - Mike's response summed it all up really nicely. We've had the iPad for since they came out with the 3G model at the end of April. It's a lot easier to carry around than a laptop and I'm constantly discovering cool things to do with it.

I have an iPhone and a laptop. I prefer the iPad for a lot of things. I just downloaded Netflix for the iPad and it's amazing. You can stream all sorts of movies and other programming. Amazon just released a Kindle reader app. So, now you can get the full spectrum of Kindle books in full color!

iPhone apps will work on the pad but the ones developed for the iPad offer a lot more in size and functionality.

If you get one - you won't regret it. Right now we're both sharing one but there's going to be another one in the house in about 3 weeks.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #308
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
This really happens....

Quote:
If you get one - you won't regret it. Right now we're both sharing one but there's going to be another one in the house in about 3 weeks.
I got my iPad the day it was released. On the following Wednesday, I showed off the magical device to the largest group we've ever had attend an Apple Special Interest Group (SIG) in our adult community. Most had never attended an Apple SIG meeting before. More than half said that they would be purchasing one very soon and one couple planned to go to the Apple store the next day to buy one for each of them, which they did.

Also, I was helping a new-to-Apple iPad owner discover some tricks about using Netflix and the book readers one morning in our clubhouse over coffee when a woman who had purchased an iPhone just a week before came over to watch what we were doing. She had never used an Apple product before but was absolutely ecstatic about her iPhone. Her husband was having coffee with friends outside. After seeing what the iPad could do, she called her husband over to have a look and then both left for the Apple store to buy one. Amazing but true.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D