View Poll Results: What computer do you use?
PC 181 50.14%
Mac 196 54.29%
Other 7 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
There are several wireless internet threads in the Computers, Internet and Satellite forum: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451/

Personally, I'd go with a combination of WiFi at campgrounds ans business and a EVDO card. There are even USB wireless modems for us PC Card-less Mac (or MAC? ) users. Satellite internet, while possible, would be too hard to setup if you move frequently.

VIVA LA MAC!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet The Mac in My Excella

Finally found a workaround for the photo uploading problems. This is my Mac G4 400Mhz upgraded to 1.8Ghz with 2 gigs of ram. The flat screen is a 37" Mitsubishi 1080p with 2 hdmi and 1 DVI inputs. Makes a terrific monitor, 1920 by 1080. I do use a Microsoft wireless desktop. I need my right mouse button and wheel.

Vaughan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entertainment-Center-5_original.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	624.7 KB
ID:	40166  

Old 06-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
I use a PC. Mac hasn't figured out how to operate Autocad yet. Although, now that they can operate Windows, I suppose it is no longer an issue.
This pretty much sums up my disdain for the PC, Microsoft OS and AutoDesk especially because they have little creativity to even try to adapt to the Macintosh. AutoCAD represents the last bastion of arrested development that Apple has not concurred. If it hadn't been for Steve Jobs bringing WYSIWYG to the masses we would probably still staring at amber ASCII text on black screens as we still draw with color representing lines on black screens with AutoCAD. At this juncture I expect someone here to pipe in about yeah but really it was Xerox at Palo Alto. Yeah, but they sat on their butts with it.

If you remember your history it took Microsoft kicking and screaming at least 8 years to get a Windows operating system out that could emulate the Mac OS. That only highlights the significance of Apple and Mac in 1984 considering Microsoft was an early partner with Word on the Mac that you could not get on the PC for several years.

Apple dabbled and demonstrated very early on you could do a WYSIWYG with MacDraw and a CAD program in ClarisCAD and Adobe demonstrated Illustrator from the beginning how to draw on a computer and see what you intuitively have. No one yet has combined the richness of the two to make art and scaled drafting (CAD) totally intuitive. Engineered Software's Mac PowerCAD is probably the closest but is only 2D. VectorWorks is close but ignorance of them and the sheer dominance of AutoCAD has continued the arrested development sprung out of the old antiquated DOS operating system.

I often wonder if the Mac hadn't happened if Microsoft would have remained as arrested in development as AutoCAD and we would still communicating here in ASCII text and the Internet as we know it would still be waiting to develop. It seems Apple continually keeps pushing the envelope and dragging the others in and giving others the platform with which to spring new ideas. Apple has always been the leader in hardware design. The iPod and iTunes are rapidly changing music and video buying and delivery. Just as we got used to accepting our clunkily operating cell phones along comes the iPhone that will probably completely change the paradigm again (much for the better).
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #158
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Lee Iacocca said it best Davydd. "Lead, follow or get out of the way."

Apple may not be the most popular or have the numbers Microcommunist has, but they do lead where they can. One bit at a time!

On a side note I may tear into Microsoft, but ponder this, what if Microsoft was a company based in China, Japan, Russia or some other country. As bad as Microsoft is, at least they are our own home grown thorn.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #159
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
MacBook Pro durability

My wife asked that I post my recent experience with my one year old MacBook Pro. While on a recent work trip I had my laptop bag partially run over by a crew van. Fortunately the driver was the head honcho of the company involved immediately stopped realized what had happened and gave me his card and said he pay whatever it cost.

So I've gotten a new machine out of the deal. The run over machine was able to start and run but the display would not work.

One of the unique things Apple does when you get a new machine is during the startup procedure they have programmed a simple way to transfer your old programs and files over to your new machine. To do this you start the machine you want to transfer your files from in Firewire Target mode and have it hooked up to the other machine with a firewire cable.

It took about 2 hours to transfer all my other programs and files and once the new machine was up and running I didn't lose a beat from when other machine was run over.

Here's some shots of my run over machine:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC4380.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	40237   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC4381.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	40238  

Name:	_DSC4382.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	40239   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC4383.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	40240  

Name:	_DSC4384.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	40241  

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #160
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Target mode has saved a number of folks.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 06-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #161
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Backup backup backup

Did I say that enough times in the title. I also carry a 2.5" portable backup drive the same size as my internal laptop drive that I backup to daily. Plus the backup software I use makes mirror image of my internal drive.

So if my laptop drive were to fail, I could boot from my external drive and keep going without any problems.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #162
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
How can one not like a Mac? I'm with ya on that. I use Carbon Copy Cloner (free software) and you can backup an active OS just like copying a piece of paper on a copy machine!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #163
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
How can one not like a Mac? I'm with ya on that. I use Carbon Copy Cloner (free software) and you can backup an active OS just like copying a piece of paper on a copy machine!
I use SuperDuper and can't wait for TimeMachine in Leopard.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #164
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Tech support

This about sums it up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tech support microsoft.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	40245  

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #165
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet CAD Alternative for Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
No one yet has combined the richness of the two to make art and scaled drafting (CAD) totally intuitive. Engineered Software's Mac PowerCAD is probably the closest but is only 2D. VectorWorks is close but ignorance of them and the sheer dominance of AutoCAD has continued the arrested development sprung out of the old antiquated DOS operating system.
You might want to check out TurboCAD Mac Pro. I noticed some Windows heritage in the install, it insists on installing on the boot drive, (Can anyone say C:\Program Files\?) but after installation I was able to copy it to my larger SATA drive and run it from there. Arrogant of them, though. I chose TurboCAD because my brother was using the Win version in his boat designs. The Pro version for Mac is 3D.

Vaughan
Old 06-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #166
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
On a side note I may tear into Microsoft, but ponder this, what if Microsoft was a company based in China, Japan, Russia or some other country. As bad as Microsoft is, at least they are our own home grown thorn.
...or France.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #167
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
I use SuperDuper and can't wait for TimeMachine in Leopard.
I've heard initial reports on some of the rag sheets that Time Machine isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Hopefully it will be much improved when the final release is out.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
MacBook wins KOA WiFi reception test over Dell

We had several opportunities on last weeks trip to use free WiFi at several KOAs. This is the typical result: Sitting next to each other on the front couch of the Safari my Dell Inspiron 8500 (XP, Broadcom radio) can't connect or gets really low signal. Mrs. Silverback's MacBook Pro (Airport Extreme, Core 2 Duo) is ripping away full blast on the Internet. In most cases we were several 100' from the access point external antenna and quite often had huge mohos blocking line of site. I usually had to go outside move around (into a neighboring site) and stand in a funny way. I plan to keep the Dell for a while yet so I may upgrade the radio to an Intel model and load Linux on it.
-KL