View Poll Results: What computer do you use?
PC 180 50.00%
Mac 196 54.44%
Other 7 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #141
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
Or the one with the guy lying on the floor with a "fatal error" Been there done that!!

Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
On another note, I realize that there is no Autocad for Mac, but I just bought TurboCAD for Mac. Am just starting to learn it.

Vaughan
This is what made me switch from Apple to PC back in the early 80's. I needed to operate Autocad. Mac had nothing for Architecture, other than MiniCad, which at the time was woefully inadequate. MiniCad has evolve to Vectorworks, which is a great programme. It may be worth looking into, if you are interested in a full-function draughting programme. It has always been available for Mac and is also available for PC. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than Autocad, too!

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #143
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Aluminum beats Titanium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
I thought they were "Titanium".
The aluminum-bodied Apple laptops are substantially stronger than the earlier titanium-bodied ones. Perhaps the best way to see the difference is to view the screen while pressing the cover with a finger. With the titanium, you will see a "pooling" effect around the depression. With the aluminum, you will have to press so hard that your better judgement will cause you to stop before damaging the cover. The gauge of the aluminum is heavier than that of the titanium on the laptops.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #144
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I dunno, we had a kid throw the Ti laptop across the room, broke one of the screen mounts, but it was fully functional and had no other dents, etc.

Kids drop our G4 Powerbooks that are alum, and they crush like a beer can if hit at the right angle. Too bad Apple doesn't build a Mac version of this, then there would be no worries at all:

Toughbook Laptop Computers from Panasonic

Be great for the education market.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #145
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
If you need to run a PC application on a Mac, take a look at Parallels. I use it on my MacBook Pro to run Quickbooks (don't like the Mac version of QB). It runs PC software seamlessly from your Mac desktop while giving you all the advantages of a Mac.
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet CAD PC & Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
This is what made me switch from Apple to PC back in the early 80's. I needed to operate Autocad. Mac had nothing for Architecture, other than MiniCad, which at the time was woefully inadequate. MiniCad has evolve to Vectorworks, which is a great programme. It may be worth looking into, if you are interested in a full-function draughting programme. It has always been available for Mac and is also available for PC. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than Autocad, too!
Hi Cameron, and all,

My CAD needs are light. I got TurboCAD for Mac because it was relatively inexpensive ($200 for V2 for Mac vs $1,400 for V14 for Windows). I don't expect all the features of V14 for that price, but do suspect that some of the price is them breaking into the Mac market. My brother used an older version of TurboCAD in his boat manufacturing startup, but has been using RhinoCAD more lately because it supports the digitizing arm (high-end item) he bought. It also is more suited to 3D compound curved design rather than architecture, which suits boat design very well. Even jewelry designers are using it.

Vaughan
Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Cameron, and all,

My CAD needs are light. I got TurboCAD for Mac because it was relatively inexpensive ($200 for V2 for Mac vs $1,400 for V14 for Windows). I don't expect all the features of V14 for that price, but do suspect that some of the price is them breaking into the Mac market. My brother used an older version of TurboCAD in his boat manufacturing startup, but has been using RhinoCAD more lately because it supports the digitizing arm (high-end item) he bought. It also is more suited to 3D compound curved design rather than architecture, which suits boat design very well. Even jewelry designers are using it.

Vaughan
Boy,

I never seem to get everything into one post. My brother's CAD stuff is all Widows. RhinoCAD proudly states that there will never be a version for any other platform. I went with TurboCAD to minimize dificulties exchanging files.

Vaughan
Old 06-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos Pete
If you need to run a PC application on a Mac, take a look at Parallels. I use it on my MacBook Pro to run Quickbooks (don't like the Mac version of QB). It runs PC software seamlessly from your Mac desktop while giving you all the advantages of a Mac.
Pete,

I recall reading somewhere that Parallels doesn't connect all the peripherals where Boot Camp does. What is your experience?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:51 AM   #149
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I dunno, we had a kid throw the Ti laptop across the room, broke one of the screen mounts, but it was fully functional and had no other dents, etc.

Kids drop our G4 Powerbooks that are alum, and they crush like a beer can if hit at the right angle. Too bad Apple doesn't build a Mac version of this, then there would be no worries at all:

Toughbook Laptop Computers from Panasonic

Be great for the education market.....
If my kids did that to my Mac Laptop, I'd cut their bloody hands off!

Click image for larger version

Name:	WSTN.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	40069

This is my workstation. No hassle, no panic, no crashes, no problem!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:11 AM   #150
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, I hear ya, but working in a school, it's a CLM, (carrer limiting move) if I cut the hands off all the kids that bang 'em up!

BTW, lines at the Apple Stores for the iPhone have been growing since yesterday. Something tells me, yer gona see these on eBay (at a premium) from the folks that got in line to horde the 2 they are allowed to buy.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #151
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
You have my sympathy!

The iPhone is being trailed on the uk site. There will always be people willing to pay top dollar for the latest gizmo! Personally, if it can't make me coffee, I'm not interested! Lol!

Marc
Old 06-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #152
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I have been having no end of problems with the current version of Parallels trying to use a USB-serial adapter. They told me to download the previous version that did not have those problems. only problem. My software key does not work for that version. Email support takes several days for them to get back to me. I gave up.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #153
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
I recall reading somewhere that Parallels doesn't connect all the peripherals where Boot Camp does. What is your experience?
The only peripheral weirdness I've had with Parallels is that it only supports USB 1.1 instead of 2.0 - so if you have to do large downloads over USB it takes forever.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #154
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
La Follette , Tennessee
First post to the forum since I bought my 325 last week.

Once you go Mac, you never go back...... Glad to see Mac are popular with this crowd. We're Ibook and Imac users.

We need ISP service to run a small business from the MH. It will have to be high speed so most likely we'll need satellite.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Kevin and Debbie Edwards

Studebakerboy@gmail.com

Airlandandseaparts.com