Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
PC AND Mac...Twice the "problems"????

Good Morning...We are at a stage were we are going to become a 2 laptop family. DW has become computer and internet "literate" to the point where she want her own laptop.

One option is to give her my Dell laptop that still is working fine and under extended warranty...just got a new motherboard and new Ram.

My choice is then to buy another Dell (or alternative brand PC)...OR venture in to the Mac world with a MacPro with all the goodies. I usually buy at the leading edge of technology/power and storeage and keep for about five years.

Question...will maintaining TWO different technologies be a real burden??? One particular concern is router and monitors? Will the Mac pick right up on my Linksys router (wireless) and my Qwest DSL wireless in our other residence? Or if not is it "simple" to get set-up working...same monitors...does a Mac need Apple monitors?

What about printers...are some/all new printers work on both Mac and PC?

Ever since I had a Mac back in the late 80s I have had an urge to have another.

Should I avoid the urge and stay within one thechnology? BTW...I am probably an above average "tech" guy and ussually can get any issues fixed with online help. Been maintaining my own system since I went self employed nearly 10 year ago.

Also, use is heavy Excel/Word/Internet...nothing too fancy. I use my laptop for client assignments...mostly financial modeling. I need Excel file transfer and I understand that Excel files now transport seamlessly between PC Excel and Mac Excel?

What has been your experience? Those who maintain two systems or those who have made the change from PC to Mac? Thanks...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
IMHO - A new Mac will allow you to run Mac applications with OSX, and you can also run Windows applications using either BootCamp (You boot your Mac as a PC) or Parallels Desktop (you run a virtual machine in addition to your Mac, but since it is running on an Intel processor, it really isn't an emulator).

I was always a Mac person but had to go to the dark side for my job since there is not a Mac version of MSAccess or several other applications that I need every day.

My last upgrade brought me back to Mac (24" iMac) and the above mentioned Parallels Desktop and I am very satisfied.

Mac will pick up your network and you can use monitors that are not Mac. Check MacMall for options. Newer printers should work as well - your Mac OS will go find the drivers for you.

There is seamless interface between Mac and PC versions of MSExcel and MSWord. In Excel, pay attention to the 1900/1904 date systems - that is the only difference that I know of. PC version sees 1/1/1900 as day 1 and Mac version sees 1/2/1904 - I have no idea why, but you'll get differences if you don't set your global settings correctly.

Best of luck!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Hi,

I am using both Mac and PC. When it's time to share files I never had any trouble not even using the same software..

Though from one PC to another PC, usign the same software (office), but not the same OS, one is XP the other is Visa, I have then trouble. Does not keep the layout, loose the foot notes etc... A nightmare.

You'll be fine with a mac.
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
Hi,

I am using both Mac and PC. When it's time to share files I never had any trouble not even using the same software..

Though from one PC to another PC, usign the same software (office), but not the same OS, one is XP the other is Visa, I have then trouble. Does not keep the layout, loose the foot notes etc... A nightmare.

You'll be fine with a mac.
What about system "administration" issues? I seem to have finally "learned" much of what I need to keep my Dell working...will I have a big learning curve to "set-up" all the functions on a Mac?

Thanks...Tom R
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Nothing is complicated but it's another way around. To me it's like having a new remote control... you will find the same function not at the same place... you just need to get used to it.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I guess that I am in the minority, but as far as I'm concerned, Mac is junk. I'm just too set in my PC ways. About two years ago, I had a Mac notebook which I absolutely hated and could not get along with. Just the basic commands gave me a fit. It was like trying to deal with that metric garbage.

I'm just a PC guy through and through. I use my PC notebook extensively. I run our internet business on, and am very satisfied with PC. I take orders, process them, print invoices and shipping labels, and track sales. When I had the Mac, these functions turned into a Mongolian Goat Rope.

My latest find is the new Dell 10" Mini (1 gig RAM/160 gig hard drive, XP OS). I have been using this notebook exclusively for the last three months, and absolutely love it. I bought it at Sam's Club when we were out in California on our last big Airstream trip. It was $348, what a deal. They are now at Sam's for $299. I'm about to buy another one as a back-up.

Another great feature of these is that they have a 10"x7" footprint, which is very conducive to running an internet business from the dinette table of an Airstream travel trailer while on the road.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Ok, I've got a few simple questions. I'm going to need a new laptop soon as my current Vaio is going on 6yrs old. All I really do right now is use it for web browsing, very light word processing, and storing all my pictures (I also have a back up hard drive), but will be starting a graduate degree program in the near future that may require more programs (autocad, etc).

I would like to try a Mac, but am concerned--will all my photos and movies still work (.jpg)? Will all my excell and word stuff transfer over fine? It should run any new software for my graduate program, correct? The commercials on tv make the mac sound like the best thing since sliced bread.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
another note... if you do go online a lot, Mac is Virus Free...

so far anyhow.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Question...will maintaining TWO different technologies be a real burden??? One particular concern is router and monitors? Will the Mac pick right up on my Linksys router (wireless) and my Qwest DSL wireless in our other residence? Or if not is it "simple" to get set-up working...same monitors...does a Mac need Apple monitors?

What about printers...are some/all new printers work on both Mac and PC?

Ever since I had a Mac back in the late 80s I have had an urge to have another.

Should I avoid the urge and stay within one thechnology? BTW...I am probably an above average "tech" guy and ussually can get any issues fixed with online help. Been maintaining my own system since I went self employed nearly 10 year ago.

Also, use is heavy Excel/Word/Internet...nothing too fancy. I use my laptop for client assignments...mostly financial modeling. I need Excel file transfer and I understand that Excel files now transport seamlessly between PC Excel and Mac Excel?

What has been your experience? Those who maintain two systems or those who have made the change from PC to Mac? Thanks...Tom R
My family has used both for years. DW uses an old ‘sunflower’ iMAC, I use Macbook Pro, DC use homebuilt peecee workstation running XP Pro.
I think the benefits out-weigh the few drawbacks.

Mac OSX networking setup is about as easy as it gets. There will be no problem connecting your Mac to your wireless routers- wireless protocol isn’t MAC/PC aligned.

Same with monitors. The one compatibility issue you will have with Macbooks (not desktops) is the Apple DVI dongle you will need to hook it to an external monitor. I think mine was about $25.

Every printer I’ve seen is MAC/PC compatible. It’s easy to check that on the manufacturer specs before buying. I would recommend getting a network ready printer (all in one), as stand-alone print servers (like the Linksys PSUS4) don’t play nice in a MAC/PC dual environment.

“Pages” and “Numbers” are the MAC equivalent to MSWORD and MSEXCEL- they are 99% compatible; read & write (I say 99%, because I’ve gotten messages in Numbers regarding functions that are beyond my expertise-- but it has never been a problem)

The only real drawback with MAC is the cost- there’s simply way more app’s (a lot are junk, however), shareware, freeware, hardware, for peecee's. For example; If I’m looking to transcode some video from one format to another, there’s usually shareware or very cheap peecee app available on-line. With MAC, there’s one way to do it, and that’s buy an Apple application for top $.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Mac Will Fill The Bill

Ok, this question is in the league of what TV to buy. Everyone has an opinion, but the real question is: Do you want a computer for your significant other that is easy to use, Do you want a computer that is fun to use, Do you want a computer that is virus free and absolutely no technology glitches?

I have been a Mac person for years, used PCs in business and watch my husband cuss and swear at his PC. He reboots, fights virus software update hell, deals with DELL (private hell there!), and has me log onto the internet to get info, because it takes his computer too long to boot, etc.

Well now he is ordering a MacBook Pro, because he can use it for his business and can run Oracle apps. He used to think that he had to have a PC to be "compatible" with the rest of the world, well - he found out that the world is now going to the Mac-side when he was a mac in action running in his environment at work.

All the preinstalled apps on the mac are fit to a tee for her with photos, etc. With Time Machine, it will automatically backup her computer. In the 6 years since owning a Mac, my husband has had his PC system crash several times, hard drive failures, and costly hard drive restoration service, to remain functioning on his PC. Mac - no problems - and if I have any ?? I call Apple, get an American on the phone within 5 minutes, and can go into any Apple store and see the techs there. Apple stores also have free classes on their apps.

But that's my opinion
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hi, I'm a Mac

Just to wade in here.

I have an iMac (24") and would never consider going back to a PC, just for the sheer simplicity of the design. When I was looking for a new computer, I knew I wanted something that I would use both at home and while travelling in the Airstream. The iMac was the choice, because it can (and is) mounted on the wall above the dinette in the trailer. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it. Since both the iMac and Keyboard are alumininum it fits it perfectly - now if I can only find an alumninum mouse!

The cool thing is I have an "eyeTV" tuner so now the iMac is my 24" HD TV.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I bought my first laptop a couple of years ago which was a Macbook Pro. To say the least it's probably the best laptop I've ever laid hands on. It was a little unnerving at first in dealing with something that doesn't have to be tweaked, and having applications and hardware that all work together. That's the beauty of what Apple has done, in that it all works.

I've had no issues interfacing into my existing home network. As my Dell desktop is slowing fading into the sunset, I decided to buy its replacement. I'm now the proud owner of a 24" iMac. It is one super piece of equipment. In its initial setup it saw my Macbook Pro in the network and asked me if I wanted it to setup like the Macbook. I said yes and it cranked away and through my wireless and built a clone of the Macbook (only with the updated apps). Couldn't be much easier than that.

Time Machine which is part of the Mac OS, automatically does incremental backups of the hard drive and I can at this time restore any file or application back to those incremental backups. I just loaded Apple's newest OS called Snow Leopard. Cost? $41 from Amazon and is a family pack which allows me to install it on 5 different Macs. And to make it better, unlike Windows, you have one version that does all. No wondering which version to buy like Vista or XP made you do.

My Linksys access point bit the dust so I went out and bought a new 802.11n Linksys. Biggest piece of trash I've ever used. Went back to Best Buy with it and the gal behind the counter told me what was wrong with it before I even told her my experience. I ended up buying the Apple Airport Extreme. This access point runs both 802.11a/n (5 gig)and 802.11 b/g/n (2.4 gig) protocols concurrently. Apple includes 802.11 b/g/n and 802.11a radios in all of their computers. My neighborhood has lots of 802.11g around it which caused me to have to reset my Linksys once a month or so to find a clear channel due to neighbor interference. The Apple wireless algorithm sees the traffic around me on 802.11 b/g and connects to my access point via 802.11a/n which is a 300 meg connection.

No screwing around tweaking things. I'm a believer that there is something better out there, and keep in mind that my department provides network communications services at the STL convention center and domed stadium. I see and support a lot of equipment that gets brought into here by visitors, the working press and convention exhibitors. The Apple stuff is getting more prevalent and in my opinion the premium you pay is more than justified.

Keep in mind that telephone support is here in the US. Each Apple store has a genius bar where you can bring in equipment for help or advice. The stores also have free sessions on the applications and use of your Mac.

The biggest downside is that there is a ton of software out there for the Windows world and that is something you will have to contend with. I do have the Office for Mac application for those things that come from other PC's but compatibility from the Mac native applications is evolving.

I seriously considered loading Windows as a bootable partition on my iMac, but looking at what we run, and the fact that software apps are now coming in a Windows and Mac format (Turbo Tax, Quicken, some game apps), I really don't need that Windows overhead. Remember that if you boot a Windows operating system on a Mac, you are subject to the same issues regarding viruses and other operating systems issues as the PC world has.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
My first "productive" home computer was the Mac 512. Had that for years until my brother made me a PC thingy that was actually pretty cool until it started getting sick from all the virus's that float around it... Had to put the 'ol gal out to pasture. Got one of the first swivel-screen iMacs - a great design and computer (still use it for photo display). Later upgraded to what I have now - mac book pro. All Mac products have exceptional audio & graphic/art/photo design software, too.

Would never go back to PC's. My sweetie still clings to her pc laptops spending $$ on virus protectors & daily sweeps... and boy, does her computer have it's share of problems from just daily operation to loading software. This Macbook pro laptop is light, sturdy and.... well, an Apple.

Was just at the Apple store today browsing around... man, those Macbook Air laptops are really something...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
We have a I mac and love it. and a pc laptop that just got a virus, big surprise, that we will be replacing with a mac book. My opinion Go mac and never look back.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Other options for working on files include openoffice.org and google docs. The latter is based on the giant search engine company, and allows access from whatever 'puter you happen to be on. Also use it as tool for messing with file compatibility.

But I also vote Mac. We had one of the Blue Screen Group a couple yeas ago. It was cheaper than a Mac. In every sense of the word except long term cost.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #16
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Forgot. Browsers. We typically use firefox and opera. Others are available as well if you don't like the Safari browser that comes standard.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
I went back to Mac almost three years ago. I will never go back!
We have now replaced all four PC laptops with Mac-books.
They are less trouble, they recognize strange printers and they are far more sensitive to wireless signals. They hook up fine to non-apple peripherals like wireless mice, keyboards, monitors and external storage.

We have one PC in the house for several home school programs that my younger son likes to use. He wishes they made them Mac compatible.

I had no problem making the switch as the Mac works closer to my brain. It was like one big 'duh', that's the way it should work moment. It even helped me figure out a few Windows/PC problems I was having.

Repairs are few and far between. The Apple stores are quick. We have a Peach Mac in Evans, GA which is even better. They keep the machines the same for a long time so parts are plentiful and you can always get the original equipment replaced with the original equipment!

Plus, who can resist the beauty of a single piece of solid milled aluminum! Hubby was the last to make the switch so he is the only one of us with the new model. He's an engineer and the video of the milling process is what sold him.

We use Office for Mac. Some habits die hard. Most Apple people will tell you that the MS Office is better than Works with the exception of Keynote anyway. I rarely use PowerPoint so it is not an issue for me. I live on Excel and Word.

The magnetic power cord is worth its weight in gold!

Go with the Mac...you will not regret it.

You get the same reaction from people that you get with an Airstream.
"Oooh, you've got a Mac..."
"Oooh, you've got an Airstream..."
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
Been PC for years, even started with a DOS machine years ago before Windows existed. I hate Vista and don't have a lot of hope for 7. Still using XP on an old Dell. I ordered a Macbook Pro today online. Couldn't resist the aluminum.
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontree View Post
I ordered a Macbook Pro today online. Couldn't resist the aluminum.
Congratulations...What configuration did you order...Tom
Old 09-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
  • Processor 065-8665 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Memory 065-8456 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM-2x2GB
  • Hard Drive 065-8894 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400
  • Optical Drive 065-8901 SuperDrive 8X DL
  • Display 065-9114 MBP 15" Glossy WS Display
  • Apple Software - iWork 065-8644 IWORK '09 FAMILY PACK