Old 09-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Other options for working on files include openoffice.org and google docs. The latter is based on the giant search engine company, and allows access from whatever 'puter you happen to be on. Also use it as tool for messing with file compatibility.

But I also vote Mac. We had one of the Blue Screen Group a couple yeas ago. It was cheaper than a Mac. In every sense of the word except long term cost.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #16
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Forgot. Browsers. We typically use firefox and opera. Others are available as well if you don't like the Safari browser that comes standard.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
I went back to Mac almost three years ago. I will never go back!
We have now replaced all four PC laptops with Mac-books.
They are less trouble, they recognize strange printers and they are far more sensitive to wireless signals. They hook up fine to non-apple peripherals like wireless mice, keyboards, monitors and external storage.

We have one PC in the house for several home school programs that my younger son likes to use. He wishes they made them Mac compatible.

I had no problem making the switch as the Mac works closer to my brain. It was like one big 'duh', that's the way it should work moment. It even helped me figure out a few Windows/PC problems I was having.

Repairs are few and far between. The Apple stores are quick. We have a Peach Mac in Evans, GA which is even better. They keep the machines the same for a long time so parts are plentiful and you can always get the original equipment replaced with the original equipment!

Plus, who can resist the beauty of a single piece of solid milled aluminum! Hubby was the last to make the switch so he is the only one of us with the new model. He's an engineer and the video of the milling process is what sold him.

We use Office for Mac. Some habits die hard. Most Apple people will tell you that the MS Office is better than Works with the exception of Keynote anyway. I rarely use PowerPoint so it is not an issue for me. I live on Excel and Word.

The magnetic power cord is worth its weight in gold!

Go with the Mac...you will not regret it.

You get the same reaction from people that you get with an Airstream.
"Oooh, you've got a Mac..."
"Oooh, you've got an Airstream..."
Old 09-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cloudland , Georgia
Been PC for years, even started with a DOS machine years ago before Windows existed. I hate Vista and don't have a lot of hope for 7. Still using XP on an old Dell. I ordered a Macbook Pro today online. Couldn't resist the aluminum.
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontree View Post
I ordered a Macbook Pro today online. Couldn't resist the aluminum.
Congratulations...What configuration did you order...Tom
Old 09-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cloudland , Georgia
  • Processor 065-8665 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Memory 065-8456 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM-2x2GB
  • Hard Drive 065-8894 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400
  • Optical Drive 065-8901 SuperDrive 8X DL
  • Display 065-9114 MBP 15" Glossy WS Display
  • Apple Software - iWork 065-8644 IWORK '09 FAMILY PACK
  • Remote 065-8911 Apple Remote
  • Apple Keyboard & User's Guide 065-8918 Keyboard/Users Guide
  • Country Kit/AEX 065-8921 Country Kit

Pretty excited.
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Congrats! I was going to weight in as well but looks like you have decided and purchased.

I, as well, would have said Mac. I have been working both platforms for many years in Graphic Design. At home, I have had a Mac of some kind since 1994. I currently have a 2 year old Mac Mini that is perfect so far. I have had a PC since 2002 (dual setup with Mac). The PC was purchased so I could webmaster a very large PC run site but if I did it over again, I would have used bootcamp instead. The PC's I have had pretty much has to be re-formatted every year with all of the bugs it collects (and we only web browse on the mac to try and keep the bugs down). Now I just use the PC to game and allow me to have a CD/DVD drive that accepts the mini discs from our camcorder which I transfer over the network to the mac to edit.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
What has been your experience? Those who maintain two systems or those who have made the change from PC to Mac? Thanks...Tom R
I have always been a PC man, both at work and at home. When my desktop was choked to death by viruses, my son and brother in law convinced my to replace it with a Mac. That was a year ago. I'll never go back to the PC. The Mac is so reliable, and comes with most of the software you need. I bought the Mac equivalent of MS Office for $80 and like it better. I have not bought any other software for it. I also bought the Apple Time Machine, which is my wireless router and data backup. It runs my home network, which includes my IBM Think Pad laptop. I run two different printers in my home network, and both computers access them without a problem. My old wireless router was a real PITA, and the Time Machine has not failed us even once. I will buy a Mac Laptop to replace my IBM PC as soon as the viruses kill it.

Take the plunge, you won't regret it.