Old 03-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you intend to use the DVR in the trailer or the boat keep in mind that it requires a "splitter" between the antenna and the DVR and then 2 leads from the splitter to the DVR. That would want to be a fixed installation just for the ease of set up when you are using the trailer or boat. The splitter and second cable to the DVR are part of the normal DVR installation. Get it clear before they come as to what the second one will cost if any.

As for the "pause of service" I would ask for that in writting. Years ago Directv was a company that you could talk to, however now it is almost impossible to get to anyone of authority when you have a problem.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #16
Formerly FreshAir44

2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Get it clear before they come as to what the second one will cost if any.

As for the "pause of service" I would ask for that in writting. .
Great points! If you mean the second DVR, she said they would give me two DVRs for "free" but I pay $5/mo to lease the second DVR for my boat. I was thinking I will call and get another person to verify all this information, and confirm they are bringing the right hardware. I also have to figure out how the second installation would work and whether I have to have DirectTV do that too.

I totally agree with you that the boxes should be fixed installations with only the Vu Cube travelling between boat and trailer.

THANKS, Kathy

Old 03-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #17
Formerly FreshAir44

2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
Another update:
Camping World just changed the pricing on the Vu Cube 1000 to $599! They also posted the user manual, so I called the sales number and talked with someone at the company. BTW, they also make or market the Kingdome.

He said they have been working for over a year on getting a Vu Cube to do HD with Direct TV but its been very difficult and they haven't been successful with this engineering endeavor. He said you can get HD with Dish TV but you need to purchase a Vu Cube 2000 or 3000, which are a different +price point.

Kathy
Old 03-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I think some one is blowing a LOT of SMOKE. I am receiving Digital with the original Winegard antenna on my Airstream.

Now I don't have an HD tv but the signal is there. Campers World will sell you anything you are will to pay for whether you need it or not.

I just went out and demonstrated to my neighbor that I get 25 digital channels with the antenna frozen down to the roof and covered with 4 in. of snow.

Unless the V Cube has an auto directional feature that will track the signal while the boat is moving I can't think of a reason to spend that kind of money

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have Directv and a DVR and they charge $5 for the DVR and $5 for the second receiver that the DVR requires. Technically, it is an additional receiver or counts as two receivers so I pay $10/month total for the service. I kept trying to figure out why I was being charged for four receivers for three tv's and they finally explained that the tv with the DVR was being charged for the DVR and the tv receiver.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote