Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Nuvi 200W

Picked up a Garmin 200W. Downloaded the POI software. Ect Ect Ect. I end up with a *.gpi file on the nuvi but no new poi. Anyone know how to do this. The Garmin site is no help.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I ordered a Nuvi 650 from Costco last week to replace our C330 Garmin unit...I want a bigger screen and the ability of the unit to announce the actual 'names' of upcoming streets to turn onto.

I've read a little about POI stuff on sights other than Garmin's...as there seem to be lots of POI files for sale out there. I also hope to add some POI data to the new Nuvi, but haven't done all the research yet. I know the POI files have to be in the correct format...does Garmin list your Nuvi model being able to accect POI data?

Good luck, I'd check some of the POI web sites for help.
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
POI Factory has alot for free. Self Help. They import into my Streets and Trips as pins but can only get some into garmin as favorites. It's no wonder Garmin is having a hard time. Too many products with too many formats and zero online support.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I agree, Garmin does indeed have many, overlaping products...I guess they want to offer something for everybody?

Their operational support for their actual units in the field is actually quite good, IMHO.

I bought a Vista hand held unit when they were fairly new. Garmin issued a software update via the internet that greatly upgraded the Vista's value. The update added many more waypoints, routes, etc. That's what I call 'support'. It also gives Garmin the chance to fix any screw ups in there products in the field, software wise.
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote