Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Notebook nic or ? and other ?s

I am trying to go "hi-tech" and try to use my note book with wifi.....that's the free connection, right?

My notebook (5 years old, when I bought it then it was a laptop) is an HP with a slot for a card BUT the slot is wide and takes # F236B card...which is slow apparently (11 mpbs)

Should I go with an usb card/nic which can/will have higher speed?

If I get a Linksys WRT545G can I "play" at home aka test my wireless system?

Will I be able to hard-wire the router or the modem to my desk-top AND wireless to my notebook and have both use MSN at the same time?

I have been reading interesting info about wifi and free wifi in RV parks.....maybe this is not worth it......oh but it is because I can watch TV and write to this forum from the family room

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Internet Speed

Hi all,

In theory, the circuit can send 1.544 Mb and receive 1.544 Mbit/s concurrently. This is over twice DSL speed, but still way below 11 Mbit/s. You will not notice any improvement using the Internet. For file sharing or printing there could be an improvement, though.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Red face Rest of the Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi all,

In theory, the circuit can send 1.544 Mb and receive 1.544 Mbit/s concurrently. This is over twice DSL speed, but still way below 11 Mbit/s. You will not notice any improvement using the Internet. For file sharing or printing there could be an improvement, though.

Vaughan
Sorry, I left out that the 1.544 is a T1 speed.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
A few more basic answers...

Greetings from Silicon Valley, where the WiFi is always free and the air is full of moving electrons...

Yes, WiFi is the usually free version, though some places like Starbucks (T-Mobile) and Airports (AT&T) do require paid subscription to access their WiFi...

USB or thick credit-card size wireless card should work in old (ancient??) HP Omnibook, though you might have some steps to take to explain to Windows and Explorer software that their connection is coming via USB port.

Yes, if you buy a Linksys Wireless Router, you can connect PC (or laptop) by cable to one of the 4 LAN cable connectors on the router, and also use the Laptop wirelessly. Both computers can access same or different sites simultaneously, though speeds might suffer for major uploads or downloads.. The Linksys plugs into home DSL or Cable Modem connection... (Don't bother if home is dial-up...) Do consider trying to enable the "security" feature of the Linksys, so hackers near your home can't eavesdrop and use your connection...

Patience is required, and maybe a helper the first time through, since you'll have to learn tricks to get Explorer to open with access page information, since physical and software connection are often needed to connect to internet using WiFi... The free ones often just ask you to abide by their terms of service before passing you along to internet connection..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hello,I was kinda in the same ball park.My 5-6 year old laptop was on sprint cell phone (edvo) modem.Worked ok,but my new c-phone was out dated when I bought it,so it was only 2-3 times faster than dial up.My current campground has (free) wi-fi.I tried a connection card,but my slot is messed up and no longer works. I went to a usb adapter,it works ok (4-6 times faster than dial up,went to talk to comp repair guy.He told me my laptop is too old and outdated (it will work,just not as fast).To use a connection card or usb adapter for wi-fi,you have to have a "high speed port" the older laptops don't have.You need to be fairly close to the router (wi-fi source) to get the best signal,just like a cell phone to a cell site antenna.I'am on Msn as I write this,the folks beside me are on aol at the same time,both of us going through the c/g's router.You can do away with your isp if you want,by just using "Internet explorer".This set up costs me nothing and I use "IE" and have Msn set has my home page.Hope that helps you out... Brian
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer1
He told me my laptop is too old and outdated (it will work,just not as fast).To use a connection card or usb adapter for wi-fi,you have to have a "high speed port" the older laptops don't have.
I believe that is called USB 2.0. It was tentatively called other things, but they didn't seem to sick.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Any PCMICA card you buy for your older laptop will not work in the newer ones. They went from a wider card to a narrower one. I would suggest the cheapest option. Any new laptop you buy will likely have WI-FI built in.

I personally use a Air card EVDO from Verizon in a D-link DIR-450 router. Internet almost anywhere, anytime for $30/ month.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
I would agree almost any of the $400.00 laptops sold today will have wifi built in and will out perform your older laptop. They will store more music, and run current programs, and more than likely play DVDs. The cost of finding upgrade parts for that older laptop may not be worth the funds. That all being said, I have seen Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM) carry older wifi upgrades pretty cheap, the sales item changes once a day, but 2 or 3 times a month they have wifi items.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Most new computers will work with recently older equipment, but systems change so quicky that that time frame is small and growing smaller.

Buy the new technology, you will get bigger, better and faster technology at a fraction of the price the same capacity cost 3 years ago.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
I myself would like to buy a new laptop,but this old Gateway keeps working,and I just cann't see throwing it away because it's old. One day it'll bite the bullet,and I'll get more high tech! Brian
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I think the consensus is that I should get a new notebook.......

Am I wasting my $200 for a Linksys WRT54G and some card (either the one to fit in the "antique"-sized slot or a usb port one) and who knows what I else I will need.

Isn't the card or whatever supposed to have an antenna on it so I can pickup RV park signals? Is there such a thing as a remote antenna--like for on the picnic table?

I have msn through Qwest. It is not the fastest but it is better than AOL dial-up that I had for 9 years.

Will I go back to those speeds--those in my AOL period

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
$200? for a WRT54G (a solid router) and a wifi card? Where are you shopping? $100 maybe for the two. THe WRT54G is not a waste unless you want to upgrade to 802.11N.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just to add this result for my wifi..
Personal test results

.bigSpeed{ font-size: 180%; color: #369; font-weight: bold; text-align: center;}Speed

6.8 megabits per second
Communications 6.8 megabits per second
Storage 826.5 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.2 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

Info

Date & time Sunday, August 5, 3:46PM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type Wireless: 802.11
Region New Hampshire
Data size 1024KB
IP address 75.67.255.173
Provider
I am using a brand new Toshiba laptop, model P205-S6267, Vista Home Premium, with built in WIFI for 802-11a/b/g/n.
The wifi setup is a NetGear tied into the Motorola Surfboard 5120. Biggest problem you will have initially during setup is to sync both the cable modem first, then the wifi to your cable modem and the main puter. Be sure you write down all ID/password info down for a distance future references. If you elect to go with NetGear, Radio Shack has the best deal on prices. Be sure to change your settings (You will want to change these, depending on your location to others) for the channel you use, check the SSID for broadcasting, PLZS don't use the factory's default ID/PASSWORD~! If you need the extra range, etc..the 4x and 12x 802-11n is one of the easiest and, nicest ways to go. It just gets alittle more into Spread Spectrum to achieve these results.
Once you're up and running..You'll love it~!!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Some observations from personal experience.

I'm not sure this will help, but I have used a laptop for the last three years that had built a in Wi-Fi card. In most cases, I found the reception to be inadequate, especially while in my Airstream. Consequently, I purchased a Wi-Fi card with an external antenna connection (MC card) to fit in the PCMCIA slot. This card, along with an external antenna, allowed me to get outside the aluminum, and significantly improved reception. This type of card is plentiful, and cost between $40 - $80. I also used this PCMCIA slot for my Verizon 595 broadband capable aircard, which also worked very nicely.

I just bought a new laptop with built in Wi-Fi and was faced with a choice of getting one with the "new" standard interface, which is the Express Card, or finding one with the PCMCIA slot so I can use my existing WI-Fi card. During my quest, I had noticed that there aren't too many peripheral devices made for this new Express Card slot. For instance, Verizon only has one aircard at this time that will fit the Express Card slot. This observation was confirmed by sales reps. from Verizon, Dell, and Gateway. I ended up getting a laptop with a PCMCIA slot so I could still use my existing Wi-Fi card, and upgraded to a USB broadband capable aircard. Again, it had an external antenna connection to get outside the Airstream. With the slot standards (PCMCIA/Express Card) still in transition, the safest bet may be to go with USB. There are numerous Wi-Fi adapters, some with external antenna connectors, made for USB ports in the $50-$90 range.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote