Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2019, 05:34 AM   #341
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
The dealer knows very little about updating the software and in fact, would have to call Airstream to have it done. Customer service at Jackson Center is who you have to call.
This is greatly appreciated! I'll call 877-596-6111, right? Many thanks for bearing with this newbie who doesn't yet know enough to know what he doesn't know.
danieljhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:50 AM   #342
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljhale View Post
This is greatly appreciated! I'll call 877-596-6111, right? Many thanks for bearing with this newbie who doesn't yet know enough to know what he doesn't know.
Also, remember you can add a second 5 GHz router to improve speeds to over double what you see now! The Peplink modem/router is only 2 GHz. Many threads on this.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #343
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Here is a link to a PDF of a document I created from the many posts about the Airstream connect issues and a solution for it. I hope this helps those experiencing problems with the Peplink modem and for those considering the new upgrade from Airstream.

The upgrade is fine, just needs this tweak to work efficiently.
Thanks for your excellent guidance, turk123! Airstream Connected is now humming along in my Sport 22FB, which will be parked in Dallas, Texas until tomorrow. The real test will be when I haul the rig to Arkansas in the morning. BTW, I spoke to both Cory and Mike at Airstream in Jackson Center, and they were great. (P.S. Yes, WiFi as WAN has been turned off!)
Old 07-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #344
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
We are at our first site with no service. Canton Point Campground in Arizona. Apparently no AT&T service.

Would be perfect with a virtual cellular SIM card.

But that’s ok! It’s cool in the 80’s and we are outside!
Old 07-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #345
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Anyone using Airstream Connected in conjunction with a cellular signal booster?
Old 07-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #346
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
It would be a bit challenging to boost the signal. Most, if not all, of the current consumer boosters can not be hard wired to the PepLink. So you would need to put the booster input antenna near the roof boat antenna. Then make sure that the transmit antenna had enough separation so that you don't get a signal oscillation. There are boosters that are put in line with the antenna but more expensive.

Also I think the current setup is a MIMO (more than one roof antenna in the boat). Many times a MIMO antenna will work better than even a booster. NetGear makes a flat antenna that can be attached to a window and is directional. Most of the time if I have a weak signal that works nearly as well as my manual setup of a WeBoost RV65. I'm finding I use the booster less and less.

Downside of the current setup is AT&T coverage is not nearly as good as Verizon in the west. Looking at the Coverage? app Forest Lake Estates (Canyon Point) is a hole for AT&T. Might have roaming but that's it.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #347
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I'm not an expert on boosters, but I do own one. I could not use it in conjunction with the connect system. The roof antenna worked better.

Also, the WeBoost use a technique that essentially will halve the bandwidth. You can pull in the signal in better but at the sacrifice of losing half your speed. This was explained to me once, but I've forgotten the details. Maybe someone can chime in here why this is true.

I have not used the Weboost since getting the connect system. If someone is interested in it, PM me, very low price!

Tom & Doty
Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #348
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
It would be a bit challenging to boost the signal. Most, if not all, of the current consumer boosters can not be hard wired to the PepLink. So you would need to put the booster input antenna near the roof boat antenna. Then make sure that the transmit antenna had enough separation so that you don't get a signal oscillation. There are boosters that are put in line with the antenna but more expensive.

Also I think the current setup is a MIMO (more than one roof antenna in the boat). Many times a MIMO antenna will work better than even a booster. NetGear makes a flat antenna that can be attached to a window and is directional. Most of the time if I have a weak signal that works nearly as well as my manual setup of a WeBoost RV65. I'm finding I use the booster less and less.

Downside of the current setup is AT&T coverage is not nearly as good as Verizon in the west. Looking at the Coverage? app Forest Lake Estates (Canyon Point) is a hole for AT&T. Might have roaming but that's it.

I would pay extra for dual SIM cards, one AT&T and one Verizon.

I am using a Verizon phone with internet.....
Old 07-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #349
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
We have a 19 Classic that came with the Pepwave installed and since the first years is free we activate it. I don't like the idea of JC having access to the Pepwave through their own connection and my internal network. We are using the WFIF Ranger I previously owned and plugging it into the Pepwave Via the LAN port which will give us both the 2 and 5mhz WIFI connections and a firewall between the Pepwave and my internal devices. We also got in the Version Pre-Paid plan that is unlimited and unthrottled (we have used over 200 gigs a month streaming movies since DEC) that we are going to connect via serial connection to the WIFI Ranger. The WFI Ranger has instruction on their site to balance the load between two connects IE AT&T and Verizon. Currently, our AS is in storage with a very strong AT&t and Verizon connects so I really can't test how well it works but next month we back on the road and we report back on how well it works.

The Pepwave installed in our AS is dual SIM and has my AT&T SIM and one AT&T SIM that belongs to Airstream in JC.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #350
Bob & Clestine

2018 27' Globetrotter
Cosby , Tennessee
Has anybody tried using the Airstream Connect Antenna with a hotspot from a different carrier? I purchased a set of cables to connect the Poynting antenna to our Verizon Hot Spot. I have not tried it yet as we have in locations with excellent AT&T and Verizon service since the Airstream Connect install.
TinCan Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #351
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm confused. What does the Airstream connect system add that my ATT phone ss a Hotspot doesn't?
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #352
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I'm confused. What does the Airstream connect system add that my ATT phone ss a Hotspot doesn't?
Good question....better antenna and hopefully, better data use charge then your phone?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #353
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I believe that the roof antenna and the rest of the hardware is a great match for pulling in a cell signal. There are times that your iPhone will be faster, but only in the presence of three towers. Otherwise, this system will be faster by far.

You also have truly unlimited data under one of the connect's plans. No slowdowns at all. It's been brought up that ATT has the right to slow this plan down. So far they have not. Averaging 200-300 GB / month. No slowdown.

Another good reason is if you want to add a security camera or a "dog" camera inside. You can do it without leaving your phone behind.

I also want to point out that controlling a Classic from anywhere is wonderful. Put in the awning from your phone or turn on the AC for the dog. How about turning off the lights from your phone when you climb into bed. OK, I don't do the last thing, but it sounds good!

Tom & Doty
Old 07-28-2019, 05:01 AM   #354
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I believe that the roof antenna and the rest of the hardware is a great match for pulling in a cell signal. There are times that your iPhone will be faster, but only in the presence of three towers. Otherwise, this system will be faster by far.

You also have truly unlimited data under one of the connect's plans. No slowdowns at all. It's been brought up that ATT has the right to slow this plan down. So far they have not. Averaging 200-300 GB / month. No slowdown.

Another good reason is if you want to add a security camera or a "dog" camera inside. You can do it without leaving your phone behind.

I also want to point out that controlling a Classic from anywhere is wonderful. Put in the awning from your phone or turn on the AC for the dog. How about turning off the lights from your phone when you climb into bed. OK, I don't do the last thing, but it sounds good!
I'm with turk123 on this. I recently took delivery of my first Airstream – a 2019 Sport 22FB – from Airstream of DFW with AT&T Connected hardware dealer-installed at my request. I pulled the Sport to a shed on some property I own in rural Arkansas. AT&T signal on my phone in that exact spot varies from nonexistent to one bar of 4G depending on the time of day, weather, etc. With Airstream Connected, I had a reasonably fast, almost completely dependable signal – I could actually work on my laptop when I had previously not been able to do so using my iPhone as a hotspot.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #355
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quick question on the Airstream Connect system—does it require AC power to run or are the components wired to 12V?
Old 07-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #356
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Quick question on the Airstream Connect system—does it require AC power to run or are the components wired to 12V?
They are wired for 12 volt
and
Old 07-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #357
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
They are wired for 12 volt

And don’t forget you will need a second wireless router to address the speed issues documented by turk123. Make sure it’s capable of 12 volt operation too - just check the transformer for output - if it says 12 volt it’s good to go, just cut off the transformer and wire it into a 12 volt source.

I use this one, it’s a bit more $$$ but I need the extra functions, and given its 12 volt capable I can use Airstream Connected when not connected to shore power.

https://amzn.to/30YmPIg

There are many other options for much less...
Old 07-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #358
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
And don’t forget you will need a second wireless router to address the speed issues documented by turk123. Make sure it’s capable of 12 volt operation too - just check the transformer for output - if it says 12 volt it’s good to go, just cut off the transformer and wire it into a 12 volt source.

I use this one, it’s a bit more $$$ but I need the extra functions, and given its 12 volt capable I can use Airstream Connected when not connected to shore power.

https://amzn.to/30YmPIg

There are many other options for much less...

Have you checked the speed difference between going direct to the AS Pepwave BR1 and to your personnel router after the latest update to the software on the BR1? I using a WIFI Ranger and not seeing. any difference in speedtest.net between the two.
and
Old 07-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #359
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Br1 is a 2 GHz wireless router. Second router can be 5 GHz which is twice as fast.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-29-2019, 08:48 AM   #360
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Br1 is a 2 GHz wireless router. Second router can be 5 GHz which is twice as fast.

A 2 GHz signal is more than enough bandwidth to max out a cellular WIFI connection between the BR1 and the cell tower. The 5 GHz is only between your router and your device and by using your own router and ethernet connection to the BR1 you are getting around the BR1 WIFI connection. I thought the problem with the BR1 was the WIFI connection was being slowed down because it searching for additional WIFI connections. I was under the impression that the slow down of the WIFI connection on the BR1 was fixed with the latest software release.
and