Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #241
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Just remember if you hit reset it goes back to original factory settings.

You will break the Airstream Connect app because it has a hard coded login and password that will no longer work as it has been reset to the default. However, you will have access to the default login and password and the web management pages of the BR1. You will also have access to make setting changes that will cause the router to stop working so ....
Bgkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #242
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We are now in Denver at Cherry Creek State Park.

50.7 Down

25.9 Up

Guess it's working fine!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #243
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
La Hacienda RV Resort in Austin, Tx

26.7 down
12.5 up

Of course your mileage may vary, etc, etc but working well here too!
Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #244
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Just had Airstream Connected installed at JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSherrill View Post
I just received my new installation of Airstream connect from Airstream dealer. My GPS cable is still in box. Is it suppose to be installed? I signed up for the $360 data plan and I am only getting 2-3 Mbps download. Why is that? I am better hot spotting off my phone. Now what? Is it suppose to be this bad? I am not happy.
Just had Airstream Connected installed at JC. Not only was a GPS antenna left behind in a box but also three other antennas... I know GPS is working, so that is OK, but should I be concerned about the other three antennas?? Was told by the tech that installed the system that they are not used.

They have turned off WiFi as LAN, but so far performance is so bad sitting here in the TerraPort that the system is unusable. Can't even get email to load. Have to switch to my phone hotspot to use the Internet. A tech support guy is coming out to my trailer at lunch to check things out.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #245
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Just had Airstream Connected installed at JC. Not only was a GPS antenna left behind in a box but also three other antennas... I know GPS is working, so that is OK, but should I be concerned about the other three antennas?? Was told by the tech that installed the system that they are not used.

They have turned off WiFi as LAN, but so far performance is so bad sitting here in the TerraPort that the system is unusable. Can't even get email to load. Have to switch to my phone hotspot to use the Internet. A tech support guy is coming out to my trailer at lunch to check things out.

Steve
Are you saying that they did not hook up the other three wires to the Peplink or that you have threee wires in the box or three short antennas in the box? I'm confused.

Do you have four wires hooked to the back of the Peplink?

Tom & Doty
Old 05-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #246
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Are you saying that they did not hook up the other three wires to the Peplink or that you have threee wires in the box or three short antennas in the box? I'm confused.

Do you have four wires hooked to the back of the Peplink?
Sorry for confusion. There are four wires hooked to the back of the Peplink, one labeled 2.4 /5 GHz MIMO that is not hooked up (extra?), and three short antennas and a GPS antenna in the box.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #247
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Sounds like you are hooked up right. AS had to go north to find ATT signal when they tested the system. Have you looked at a map? JC is out in nowhere! If you go a bit further north you will find roads missing from your gps map!

Tom & Doty
Old 05-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #248
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Sounds like you are hooked up right. AS had to go north to find ATT signal when they tested the system. Have you looked at a map? JC is out in nowhere! If you go a bit further north you will find roads missing from your gps map!
So, are you saying I should not worry that so far here at the TerraPort the system is borderline useless, that once I leave this area I should see an improvement?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #249
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
So, are you saying I should not worry that so far here at the TerraPort the system is borderline useless, that once I leave this area I should see an improvement?

Thanks,

Steve
Yea, I would not worry, but it is sad that you can't test it properly. Looking at several cell tower sites and Jackson center has no tower. Closest is east at Indian "something" and west off of the interstate. One or no bars are reported at the factory. "Poor" service overall.

Now get yourself a second wireless router to make this sing!

Tom & Doty
Old 05-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #250
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Note: I have not performed these steps myself - just reading about it in the manual. I have full intention of checking it out next time I'm at my trailer in storage or on a trip with it.

The AT&T account is an LTE account. ALL LTE access is TDMA access even if the base phone is CDMA. This means that if you have a cellphone that is LTE capable, it has a sim card in it somewhere even if it is a Verizon phone (which uses CDMA).

When I compare the LTE footprint of AT&T and Verizon, they are mostly similar, but some differences do exist.

The BR1 mini modem, per the manufacturer, can be used with AT&T, Verizon, or T-mobile. If you have a Verizon or T-mobile phone, you can swap out the AT&T sim card in the BR1 modem for your Verizon/T-mobile sim card and it will work.

You may need an adapter as my iPhone SE uses a micro sim card. Most phone comapny stores will have those adapters.

Your Airstream App may not work because it is tied to the AT&T site in many aspects, but you should be able to perform a speed test.

I do not know which sim card in the BR1 mini needs to be swapped. I assume is is slot 1, but since I haven't physically tried this yet, I don't know for sure.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #251
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
West Vancouver , British Columbia
Has anyone tried moving the AT&T SIM to an AT&T or unlocked hotspot as a backup?
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #252
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:

Steve
They are not used. I had the same ones "left over" after our install. The GPS one is for testing only or temp use and the other three are not needed because of the new Mimo antenna on top of the AS.

You are good!

What speeds are you getting and from where?
Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #253
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
They are not used. I had the same ones "left over" after our install. The GPS one is for testing only or temp use and the other three are not needed because of the new Mimo antenna on top of the AS.

You are good!

What speeds are you getting and from where?
Yesterday, sitting here at the TerraPort in Jackson Center, 1034 ms ping, 1.86 Mbps down, 0.34 Mbps up. That was when it was working. The connection comes and goes. Sometimes the test won't even work as it can't connect. According to the tech I'm working with here we should have a consistent connection and about 6-7 Mbps down sitting here. So he is trying to figure out what is wrong. Could be we have a bad router.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #254
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Yea, I would not worry, but it is sad that you can't test it properly. Looking at several cell tower sites and Jackson center has no tower. Closest is east at Indian "something" and west off of the interstate. One or no bars are reported at the factory. "Poor" service overall.

Now get yourself a second wireless router to make this sing!
Our second router will arrive tomorrow. Of the two RJ-45 ports on the Peplink, which one should I plug the router into?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #255
Bob & Clestine

2018 27' Globetrotter
Cosby , Tennessee
Quote:
Yesterday, sitting here at the TerraPort in Jackson Center, 1034 ms ping, 1.86 Mbps down, 0.34 Mbps up. That was when it was working. The connection comes and goes. Sometimes the test won't even work as it can't connect. According to the tech I'm working with here we should have a consistent connection and about 6-7 Mbps down sitting here. So he is trying to figure out what is wrong. Could be we have a bad router.

Thanks,

Steve
We are parked about 15 yards from Steve and had our Airstream Connect installed on the same day at Jackson Center. Jackson Center also installed a the second router we provided.

AT&T service at Jackson Center is poor on its best day and changes from hour to hour and day to day. We have generally been getting around 6 megs down and 3 megs up. Ping ranges from 40 to 200. Yesterday, as Steve reported our download speed was around 1.5 megs down and 0.75 megs up but pings were around 200 for us. Downloads were slow but we were able to use the internet. Today I am seeing 15.0 megs down and 10 megs up, a 10X improvement.

We have an Android and Apple cell phones on AT&T and they are almost useless at Jackson Center without the Airstream Connect and function as normal with Airstream Connect.

I requested to have the WI-FI boost feature turned off for the Peplink modem when it was installed.

So far we are pleased with the Airstream Connect solution.

Bob
TinCan Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #256
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Our second router will arrive tomorrow. Of the two RJ-45 ports on the Peplink, which one should I plug the router into?

Thanks,

Steve
You can use either one. They are the same. In the Classic, one port is used for the Czone system. The other is free.

I had a thought about the difference in signal between you two guys at JC. The comparison between your results may only be a weak signal AND the orientation of your trailers. AC may be blocking the tower, Etc.

JC has an ATT tower to the west and one to the East. The west tower is closest to you, but the physical Factory may be in your line of sight to the tower. When dealing with weak signals, everything comes into play on this.

Tom & Doty
Old 05-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #257
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCan Betty View Post

I requested to have the WI-FI boost feature turned off for the Peplink modem when it was installed.

So far we are pleased with the Airstream Connect solution.

Bob
Hi Bob

The term or feature to turn off is WiFi as WAN. You might doublecheck that they know what you mean.

Tom & Doty
Old 05-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #258
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Besides weak signals also time of day may be your key. Cell tower saturation likely if you are good early in the morning and through much of the day until about 3pm or so when all of the manufacturing plant workers leave for the day, kids get out of school and everyone hits the towers. AT&T towers are the green dots in the map below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 8.17.03 AM.png
Views:	68
Size:	649.7 KB
ID:	341360

Oh, and Turk, seriously "Indian something"? Clearly you weren't a Cowsills fan back in a time far far away. You know you have the Captain Sad and His Ship of Fools but just don't want to admit it
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
I had a thought about the difference in signal between you two guys at JC. The comparison between your results may only be a weak signal AND the orientation of your trailers. AC may be blocking the tower, Etc.
We're about 40 feet apart, same elevation, but probably 120 degrees different in trailer/antenna orientation.

I just measured 1.02 Mbps download and then 10 minutes later .66 Mbps.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #260
Bob & Clestine

2018 27' Globetrotter
Cosby , Tennessee
Quote:
We're about 40 feet apart, same elevation, but probably 120 degrees different in trailer/antenna orientation.

I just measured 1.02 Mbps download and then 10 minutes later .66 Mbps.
Crazy difference in performance we are getting...…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-05-22 125056.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	341370  
TinCan Betty is offline   Reply With Quote