Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #181
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Marysville , Washington
I installed mine myself today. Routed the cable through the fridge vent and up into the coat closet where I hung the router. Used the 12v wires going to the light to wire the router. Got it all buttoned up, then went to download the app and discovered there is no app for Android yet. Awesome. Will need to find an iPhone I suppose to get the network setup.
grandmaester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
there is an app for android!!!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #183
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Marysville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
there is an app for android!!!
Really where? I can't find one
grandmaester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #184
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaester View Post
Really where? I can't find one

search on Airstream smart Rv

Tom & Doty
Old 04-30-2019, 10:18 PM   #185
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
sammamish , wa
Units on back order?

Are others getting told that these are on back order? We ordered at the end of March and still no eta on when this will arrive. Wonder if this is a ls issue or if others are getting the same message?
TikiRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:03 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
So got mine installed by dealer, activated for 1 year unlimited, and I can connect and download. Getting around 8mbps.....terrible.

The IP address of one of my clients is given, the gateway is 192.168.51.1.

I should be able to type that in and get to the router login page, it is alive via ping, but will not bring up the admin page to log into the router.

In the manual it is saying to use 192.168.50.1, but that won't work as the subdomain is 51 and not 50.

How do we get to the login area? Is there a port address that has to be added to the URL address to get access just to login into the peplink router?

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Since AS as thought to lock us out of the hardware that we own.......for life....I am wondering if this will restore access to the router taken from the user manual of the device:

Appendix A. Restoration of Factory Defaults
To restore the factory default settings on a Pepwave router, follow the steps below:
1. Locate the reset button on the front or back panel of the Pepwave router.
2. With a paper clip, press the reset button and hold it for at least 10 seconds, until the unit
reboots itself.
After the Pepwave router finishes rebooting, the factory default settings will be restored.
Important Note
All previous configurations and bandwidth usage data will be lost after restoring factory default settings. Regular
backup of configuration settings is strongly recommended.

I would expect that would undo anything they've done and allow access back to the admin area. They are not doing anything magical here, and I'm unclear as to why they are keeping people locked out.

In terms of firmware and updates, there should be zero restrictions....and I OWN this hardware.....this isn't apple......nor are they going to update the systems for zero labor cost when you can clearly update it yourself (if you know what you are doing). Even peplink has all the firmware/software updates on their site to download and let you update the system......it is baffling to say the least.

I may consider trying it.

If someone is brave enough to do it, please post your results.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #188
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
So got mine installed by dealer, activated for 1 year unlimited, and I can connect and download. Getting around 8mbps.....terrible.

The IP address of one of my clients is given, the gateway is 192.168.51.1.

I should be able to type that in and get to the router login page, it is alive via ping, but will not bring up the admin page to log into the router.

In the manual it is saying to use 192.168.50.1, but that won't work as the subdomain is 51 and not 50.

How do we get to the login area? Is there a port address that has to be added to the URL address to get access just to login into the peplink router?

Airstream and AT&T have the router locked down for control purposes. You will not be able to login and manage it like you want. At least not at this point.

Make sure you read the documents that turk123 has put together as they contain a wealth of knowledge. Post #12 above or use this link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ml#post2206663

You will need a separate WiFi router, logically placed in front of the Airstream Connected router, to serve as your access point for 5Ghz in order to get the best speeds out of the service. You will be able to configure it however you would like obviously. Connect your new router to either port on the front of the Airstream Connected pepwave router.

Make sure you contact customer_support@airstream.com and request that they disable the “WiFi as WAN” in the Pepwave router that came with your Airstream Connected. Provide them the last six of your AS vin and they can get it done.

Jon Puckett was the gentleman from Airstream who replied to my email and he has been very helpful.

The reason that this must all be done is that the pepwave router supplied with Airstream Connected only has a single radio within it, as I understand. So out of the box that one radio has to service the cellular as well as the Wi-Fi connection by switching back-and-forth which is where you lose your speed. The human analog to this would be having two conversations on one phone and “flashing” in between them - not very efficient.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Make sure you contact customer_support@airstream.com and request that they disable the “WiFi as WAN” in the Pepwave router that came with your Airstream Connected. Provide them the last six of your AS vin and they can get it done.
That ship has already sailed, the AS is in my driveway, I assume this can't be done remotely.

This is network management 101, while I see why they went this route, I squarely do not agree with it.

boo.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #190
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
That ship has already sailed, the AS is in my driveway, I assume this can't be done remotely.

This is network management 101, while I see why they went this route, I squarely do not agree with it.

boo.
The change to shut off WiFi as WAN has to be done remotely! Just call John at customer service in Jackson center.

I sent you a PM about resetting the Peplink. The reset button will reset the Peplink to its factory spec. Whether this will void the deal between Airstream and ATT remains to be seen. The sim still should work but may interfere with ATT and Airstream tracking the usage through the fleet ap that Airstream is using. Airstream contract with ATT may include a total cap that we don't know about.

It may seem unfair, but it is an Airstream solution to putting a hotspot in your trailer. They do make the rules.

Tom & Doty
Old 05-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSherrill View Post
I just received my new installation of Airstream connect from Airstream dealer. My GPS cable is still in box. Is it suppose to be installed? I signed up for the $360 data plan and I am only getting 2-3 Mbps download. Why is that? I am better hot spotting off my phone. Now what? Is it suppose to be this bad? I am not happy.

Same issue here, GPS antenna in the box.....WTF?
Old 05-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #192
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

I just got mine installed yesterday at JC and my gps is in the box, but I think it’s an extra because if you look at the back of the router there is already a gps cable plugged in the back that goes up to the roof . I could be wrong though. I also had the campground feature turned off. We were able to stream Game of thrones at the Tera port at JC last night before turning off campground feature this morning.
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteve06 View Post
I just got mine installed yesterday at JC and my gps is in the box, but I think it’s an extra because if you look at the back of the router there is already a gps cable plugged in the back that goes up to the roof . I could be wrong though. I also had the campground feature turned off. We were able to stream Game of thrones at the Tera port at JC last night before turning off campground feature this morning.
Does the Airstream app allow you to find the trailer?

Tom & Doty
Old 05-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #194
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Does the Airstream app allow you to find the trailer?

Yes it does
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteve06 View Post
Yes it does
Then your GPS is working!

I would like to know if the Peplink has two Simms installed on these kits. If so, that may be a reason not to reset the Peplink modem. The second Simm is operational even if you cancel the ATT plan.

Tom & Doty
Old 05-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
As a network guy, I'm going to make some educated guesses here as to why the router is locked.

In talking with both Airstream and researching peplink and c-zone, it has become apparent that both the c-zone (on 2019 Classics) and the Peplink have capabilities that are useful over the net, but need a third party data aggregator to function properly. In this case, I believe it is the GPS information that is the culprit.

While the peplink produces a GPS location, you have to have a server somewhere that takes that data and manipulates it into a human readable form on a map. Your app is not logging into your Airstream. It is logging into this server to access the data.

Call me cynical, but while the data is convenient to you, it is far more useful as a whole to Airstream. They get location, distance traveled, speed used, and much more on every single system installed. This is fantastic information from a marketing standpoint. But the account that they use with the agregator has to be strictly controlled. If you wipe your router, you're WiFi will certainly work, but it will no longer upload information to the server and you will lose access through the app.

Just an educated guess here, but I suspect that Airstream is subscribing to a service for this data and does not run the server themselves. The locked modem is probably a requirement of this third party service.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Same issue here, GPS antenna in the box.....WTF?

The GPS antenna that was left in your box is for testing - you won’t need it. Mine was left in the box as well. The newly installed antenna on top of the trailer includes a GPS antenna that is connected to your pepwave router.

Use the Connected app to make sure it can locate your trailer, and if so all is working well.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #198
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
As a network guy, I'm going to make some educated guesses here as to why the router is locked.

In talking with both Airstream and researching peplink and c-zone, it has become apparent that both the c-zone (on 2019 Classics) and the Peplink have capabilities that are useful over the net, but need a third party data aggregator to function properly. In this case, I believe it is the GPS information that is the culprit.

While the peplink produces a GPS location, you have to have a server somewhere that takes that data and manipulates it into a human readable form on a map. Your app is not logging into your Airstream. It is logging into this server to access the data.

Call me cynical, but while the data is convenient to you, it is far more useful as a whole to Airstream. They get location, distance traveled, speed used, and much more on every single system installed. This is fantastic information from a marketing standpoint. But the account that they use with the agregator has to be strictly controlled. If you wipe your router, you're WiFi will certainly work, but it will no longer upload information to the server and you will lose access through the app.

Just an educated guess here, but I suspect that Airstream is subscribing to a service for this data and does not run the server themselves. The locked modem is probably a requirement of this third party service.

Interesting. Anyone else have an issue with that, if true, from a privacy perspective?

I picture a big room somewhere (like in War Games) where all the maps displaying Airstream locations along with speed, etc. (kidding of course).

However - I don’t recall signing anything giving them rights to do this, again, if they are.

Who else might they share the data with?
Old 05-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #199
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Also, I was only able to set this up using the app on my wife apple iphone. I can't find this an app for android, yet someone said it is out.

Where do I find this app?

It should be called Airstream connected in the Android store just as iOS store yes?
Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #200
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Interesting. Anyone else have an issue with that, if true, from a privacy perspective?

I picture a big room somewhere (like in War Games) where all the maps displaying Airstream locations along with speed, etc. (kidding of course).

However - I don’t recall signing anything giving them rights to do this, again, if they are.

Who else might they share the data with?
Not to mention, who is going to update it and ensure it has all the latest and greatest? My own dealer is referring me back to get help from the mothership......I think you signed those rights over when you sign up with AT&T......I don't think there is any ill will going on, I just don't think this is a fully baked solution......

People may think I'm being a bit over the top about it.....but security is a big thing......some idiot finds a way to hack the stream because your routers firmware is out of date.......however/whenever.......and you're doing what you think is secure CC or banking in your AS (because you may just have too).......and then your data get stolen/compromised etc......

I realize that not everyone is an expert or even comfy with updating or working with routers etc.....but for those of us who are/do.....we shouldn't be locked out because of whatever the reason......that falls squarely on privacy and security concerns.........JMHO.