Thanks SS.

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #142
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I'll admit to not having waded through the entire thread, so apologies if this question has already been a answered.

What is the advantage (if any) of Airstream Connected over my Verizon Jetpack MiFi with Unlimited Data, WeBoost 4GX cell booster and SureCall Omni antenna?

SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind
I'll admit to not having waded through the entire thread, so apologies if this question has already been a answered.

What is the advantage (if any) of Airstream Connected over my Verizon Jetpack MiFi with Unlimited Data, WeBoost 4GX cell booster and SureCall Omni antenna?

1. The Plan.

The airstream-att plan is not throttled or network managed. It is truly uncapped speed with no de-prioritization / Network Management whatsoever. That is the biggest advantage (the plan itself).

Depending on your Verizon plan you are either network managed or throttled after a give data usage per month, or both. Personally I have the newest Verizon pre-paid unlimited plan with is subject to network management at all times. This is the single best alternative plan to airstream connect service on the market today. If you are post paid forget about it - after 10 or 15 gigs you speeds are hard capped. Not usable for anyone who needs any amount of data (for instance this month I used ~1 terabyte of data at my residence and over 100G on my Verizon LTE hotspot)

2. The equipment.

If you are using your weboost / surecall (I have both in my trailer one too) you only have one external antenna for signal replication from your jetpack . The airsteam hardware (peplink BR1 category 6 modem and antenna on the roof) is a 2x2 MIMO setup with 2 antennas - which can dramatically improve LTE upload and download speeds.

**however*** that being said if you have the latest Verizon 8800L jetpack (like I do) it can actually outperform the BR1 as it is a category 18 device with 4x4 MIMO internal antenna setup (4 antennas) can reach more bands and also supports an external 2x2 MIMO setup (see my post #120 further up this thread and I have a longer post in another internet thread in the forum). I’ve now hit over 70mbps d/l speed with this setup when I’m in proximity of the tower for example.

So bottom line is that the airstream specific att plan itself (which is locked to the BR1 modem serial number supplied only by Airstream) is extremely desirable when hardware is configured correctly, even taking into account that the BR1 is slightly outdated cat 6 hardware. There is simply no other plan on the market that is not throttled nor network managed. It’s a unicorn at the end of the rainbow square dancing with a leprechaun on top of a pot of gold!

That is the biggest advantage over any other setup in the market.

Getting at the uncapped speeds can be hit or miss depending on network coverage and of course one needs to disable WiFi WAN on the BR1 and use an external wired router to bypass hardware constraints with the setup, as detailed by the admirable Airstream Connect pinoneer Turk123.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:42 PM   #144
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
1. The Plan.

The airstream-att plan is not throttled or network managed. It is truly uncapped speed with no de-prioritization / Network Management whatsoever. That is the biggest advantage (the plan itself).

Depending on your Verizon plan you are either network managed or throttled after a give data usage per month, or both. Personally I have the newest Verizon pre-paid unlimited plan with is subject to network management at all times. This is the single best alternative plan to airstream connect service on the market today. If you are post paid forget about it - after 10 or 15 gigs you speeds are hard capped. Not usable for anyone who needs any amount of data (for instance this month I used ~1 terabyte of data at my residence and over 100G on my Verizon LTE hotspot)

2. The equipment.

If you are using your weboost / surecall (I have both in my trailer one too) you only have one external antenna for signal replication from your jetpack . The airsteam hardware (peplink BR1 category 6 modem and antenna on the roof) is a 2x2 MIMO setup with 2 antennas - which can dramatically improve LTE upload and download speeds.

**however*** that being said if you have the latest Verizon 8800L jetpack (like I do) it can actually outperform the BR1 as it is a category 18 device with 4x4 MIMO internal antenna setup (4 antennas) can reach more bands and also supports an external 2x2 MIMO setup (see my post #120 further up this thread and I have a longer post in another internet thread in the forum). I’ve now hit over 70mbps d/l speed with this setup when I’m in proximity of the tower for example.

So bottom line is that the airstream specific att plan itself (which is locked to the BR1 modem serial number supplied only by Airstream) is extremely desirable when hardware is configured correctly, even taking into account that the BR1 is slightly outdated cat 6 hardware. There is simply no other plan on the market that is not throttled nor network managed. It’s a unicorn at the end of the rainbow square dancing with a leprechaun on top of a pot of gold!

That is the biggest advantage over any other setup in the market.

Getting at the uncapped speeds can be hit or miss depending on network coverage and of course one needs to disable WiFi WAN on the BR1 and use an external wired router to bypass hardware constraints with the setup, as detailed by the admirable Airstream Connect pinoneer Turk123.
I've read some very critical reviews of the Verizon 8800L jetpack. Have you experienced issues such as dropped connections with yours ?
Old 04-04-2019, 12:18 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind
I've read some very critical reviews of the Verizon 8800L jetpack. Have you experienced issues such as dropped connections with yours ?

No, I have had no issues.

Those dropped connections were centered around provisioning issues with the original plans that were issued I believe, and were cleared up in February / early March.

This little $200 device works like a champ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	337277  
Old 04-04-2019, 12:34 AM   #146
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
No, I have had no issues.

Those dropped connections were centered around provisioning issues with the original plans that were issued I believe, and were cleared up in February / early March.

This little $200 device works like a champ.
Good to hear. Thanks
Old 04-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #147
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Roadlink?

So, have you guys seen this? Press release on it came out this morning.

https://www.runswithtogo.com/roadlink-product-details

$399.00 for the roof top router, $360/first year for the AT&T data plan. Wonder how well a roof mounted router would work inside an Airstream?

Thoughts?

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones2

$399.00 for the roof top router, $360/first year for the AT&T data plan. Wonder how well a roof mounted router would work inside an Airstream?

Thoughts?

Steve

I had a roof top WiFi router (WiFi ranger exterior unit with embedded radio) on my 25’ and it worked just fine for WiFi signal inside the trailer.

Boy that plan sure looks identical to the airstream connect plan......
Old 04-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
These rooftop routers are absolutely the way to go. Peplink is going to offer one like this but it is way overpriced. The plan sure does look like the Airstream plan to a T!

No worries about the signal getting inside. Remember the Airstream connect antenna for the inside wifi is on the roof also. You do not have to route the antennas inside (4 lines) with this system. Just get 12v power to it.

Very interesting!

Today Airstream said to SS that the reason why his WiFi is not working is that the latest installs of the connect system and newly created accounts are only getting 3G for their ATT signal. According to Airstream, ATT has screwed up the accounts. Imagine that. All 4 customers at that dealer are having problems. Peplink router is limited by the account to below 1 or 2 MB down and worse. This clearly is not a good start for Airstream.

Our Google images and chat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMQbpNXQwapMnj8t9
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:01 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
. . .
This clearly is not a good start for Airstream.
Amen to that!

Do they Beta test anything before releasing it with ostentatious fireworks and fanfare?

. . . thinking Basecamp axle fiasco . . . fridge . . . . . . "Oh Boy!"

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:47 AM   #151
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
AT&T is all about taking your money.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
So Togo Roadlink is the brand from a company called TH2. TH2 is in a joint partnership with Thor Industries. Yep, you guessed it, it IS the same contract with AT&T. So the technology for setting this thing up for Airstream may have been through TH2 or at least working with them to put the specs together.

I don't know what modem is in the Togo, but we might assume it may be a similar board from Peplink. It has only one radio (2.4GHz) and can use the crippling WIFI as WAN setting. From my source earlier he stated all one channel radio modems will have to pole for the campground WiFi and interrupt the cell signal. If this is indeed a Peplink board or any other board, it may have the same problem with polling depending on the interval.

The good news is you have full control over the router software and can log in and shut off features if you don't need them.

The board inside clearly has an available Ethernet port inside the dome. That will allow you to plug a cable in and run the ethernet inside to a dual-band router as suggested in this video on the Winegart:

https://youtu.be/SHmtl0eRZlQ

Toward the end of the video it shows the inside of the Winegart.

The new Togo Roadlink is a Wingart connect 2.0 rebranded. You can look at the spec at the Winegard website.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is the link to an article about the partnership!

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300717703.html

Very interesting.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #154
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post

Thoughts?

Steve
Hey, good catch! There's a reason why this looks like the Airstream plan. Guess who Togo's parent company (or at least one of them) is?

Yep, it's a Thor company. The other member of this joint venture is an RV rental company based in Australia & New Zealand.

That doesn't make it a bad solution, though. In fact, it's interesting. Thor clearly expects to find a much wider audience for this approach. It might work on an Airstream.

That said, I'd be cautious about putting this on top of my Airstream unless I could stick it on with VHB tape and Sikaflex 221, like our solar panels, and I'd wonder where the power comes from (yet another hole?). I'd also worry about whether the radio signals can penetrate an Airstream's aluminum skin, but it's definitely worth investigating - and I'd love to see what they refer to as the "Roadlink C2 antenna," so I can think about mounting that.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #155
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
If you click on that link, then scroll down and click on the orange “View Data Plans” button, you land on an AT&T page that describes the data plans. At the bottom of that page appears the following fine print (bold type is emphasized by me):
AT&T Connected Car Togo Annual Unlimited Plan (Prepaid). U.S. customers only. Prepaid session-based data plans provide you with access to AT&T wireless data services for your RV, including but not limited to features that may be used with wireless data services, content and applications. Eligible vehicle, data plan and compatible SIM card required. Duration: Annual Unlimited Plan is 365 days. May cancel at any time, but pro-rata refund of payment is not available (subject to applicable law). Data plan not transferable if vehicle is sold. Pricing: $360, plus taxes. Devices: Sold separately. Data: For use in the U.S. only. Stream Saver feature not available for this Plan. Hotspot: Connects a limited number of Wi-Fi capable devices per RV hotspot, as specified by the vehicle maker. Devices connected to hotspot use data from your RV plan. Performance varies based on number of devices connected and other factors. Roaming: You get an off-net (roaming) usage allowance for each svc. If you exceed the allowance, your svc(s) may be restricted or terminated. International and domestic off-net data may be at 2G speeds. Other restr’s apply & may result in svc termination. AT&T svc is subject to AT&T network management policies, see att.com/broadbandinfo for details. Stream Saver feature not available for this Plan. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to AT&T Session Based Wireless Data Services Agreement available at https://www.att.com/legal/terms.sess...ment.list.html Pricing, offer & terms subject to change & may be modified or terminated at any time without notice. Coverage & service not available everywhere.
When you go to the network management link, you see all their normal network management schemes, including throttling, deprioritization, etc.

Are we to take this to mean that, for this service, it’s not truly “unlimited,” because once you trip their arbitrary limit on data usage, they’ll slow you down? I’m not clear on all this.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
No it truly is unlimited. My last month in the trailer I used 220 GB of data. Airstream told me there was another of their customers that used 660 GB!

It has never been throttled.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Oro Valley , Arizona
Quote:

Today Airstream said to SS that the reason why his WiFi is not working is that the latest installs of the connect system and newly created accounts are only getting 3G for their ATT signal. According to Airstream, ATT has screwed up the accounts. Imagine that. All 4 customers at that dealer are having problems. Peplink router is limited by the account to below 1 or 2 MB down and worse. This clearly is not a good start for Airstream.

I hope it is a problem with the tower adjacent to that dealer? ....he says as he waits for his install....
Old 04-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
I hope it is a problem with the tower adjacent to that dealer? ....he says as he waits for his install....
Nah, I think it is all new installs. I just can't imagine what has gone wrong now. We are not going to be privy to the problems much anymore. I've asked too many questions and I'm no longer getting any feedback. That is usually a sign of frustration and I believe Airstream is going silent on this issue.

I just hope when I get back to my trailer in Arizona in a couple of weeks that it is still performing stellarly as it has before! I also hope that all the new installs will perform as good as mine. So far, they are performing miserably.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #159

Orange , California
Angry Just installed Airstream Connect

I just received my new installation of Airstream connect from Airstream dealer. My GPS cable is still in box. Is it suppose to be installed? I signed up for the $360 data plan and I am only getting 2-3 Mbps download. Why is that? I am better hot spotting off my phone. Now what? Is it suppose to be this bad? I am not happy.
SWSherrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #160
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Snoqualmie , Washington

Quote:
No it truly is unlimited. My last month in the trailer I used 220 GB of data. Airstream told me there was another of their customers that used 660 GB!

It has never been throttled.

Just because you haven’t been throttled doesn’t mean the fine print can’t apply to you in future. They will ALWAYS reserve the right to throttle a shared network segment. They have to for the sake of other customers.

They won’t cap you if unlimited. But if you hog the segment’s bandwidth, they will throttle. Not hogging the segment, they probably won’t throttle regardless of how much data you’ve downloaded. There’s a difference between data caps and throttling. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cap#Unlimited_data

GT2018WA is offline   Reply With Quote

« Togo roadlink C2 | Top | - »