Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
In the end I decided not to move forward with the Airstream Connect plan / peplink equipment. The largest attraction by far was the AT&T plan itself - unlimited data, no throttling and no network management. The trifecta unicorn!

The downside was the mandated hardware and installation, and locked out BR1. (I really just wanted access to the plan / SIM card).

I ended up moving forward with the Verizon Pre-paid plan with unlimited data, no throttling, but has network management at all times. the hardware is the current generation inseego 8800L - manufactured jetpack, a category 18 device with 4x4 internal MIMO antennas and ability to plug into an external 2x2 MIMO antenna. For the latter I am using a netgear directional 2x2 MIMO (rather than omni-directional roof-mount MIMO) that I can manually aim at the tower and then stick to the window accordingly.

For LAN and WIFI-WAN I am using a pepwave SOHO MKIII router with 3x3 MIMO with is fixed to the front window of my unit behind the curtain. I can tether the jetpack via USB or use WIFI-WAN to connect, depending on where it is located int he trailer.

This Jetpack is latest generation wireless, supports an incredible range of cellular bands, carrier aggregation, 5Ghz wifi and supports theoretical wireless speeds in excess of 1 Gb/s.

Thus far, I have been very pleased with the throughput and speed, and I have not seen network management come into play as of yet, after 2 weeks of testing. Hav used about 30 gigs of data thus far testing, including streaming of 5 simultaneous HD screens.

Total hardware investment was $250 after taxes, and the plan was $65/month.

In the event I cannot get signal via the Jetpack (using internal or external antennas), I have a fixed Weebost in the trailer with omni-directional exterior antenna that can be leveraged if needed.

Looks like you are getting great results with the system. It also will take advantage of a few "newer" cell features that the older Peplink does not have. The only drawback is the higher cost over 5 years.

Airstream is $30/month $360 year. $1800 for 5 years plus $2000 install - add second wireless router $79 for a total $3879/5 yrs.

Your system is $65/month $780 year. $3900 of for 5 years plus $250 hardware - total $4150/5 yrs.

The big advantage is that your equipment can be moved to another trailer if need be or a cabin, hotel room or even home. I used 5 years thinking technology will change during that time.

A great alternative at relatively the same price and giving you full control of the system. If unlimited data plans start to get competitive, you will be far ahead of the curve.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I just got the Verizon hotspot too and the prepaid unlimited (thanks, @Wulfraat), having recently passed on the AS/ATT Connect system as well. A few advantages for me:

I don’t full-time. This year and maybe next we’ll be on extended trips (several months) but we spend most of our time at home. So being able to stop and start the plan AND have unlimited data when it is on will be very useful. I realize Connect system has an as-you-go plan too but it is capped. I’m locked into my phone plan for all sorts of reasons (I get fiber internet from AT&T as well), so it’s nice to not be locked into something else I won’t be using 75% of the year.

Also, I can swap my ATT phone with the Verizon hotspot if I’m in a place where either one of the carriers has bad signal or if for whatever reason I need to spread bandwidth use across accounts/lines.

I’m running a SureCall booster and a WiFi Ranger, the latter mostly just to consolidate and simplify the network connection. It’s all wired to 12V so I don’t need to run the inverter either.

But in all seriousness, after 25 years of working in software and design, I’m looking forward to spending most of my time on adventures that don’t involve the Internet at all.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:10 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great recent updates . . . thanks everyone.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
A little birdie told me that Colonial is using a price of $2000 for the Connect system and install. Watch for others to follow.
Not sure who your little birdie is. When I called Colonial they quoted $1450. They were actually the lowest price of the dealers I called. Airstream of Tampa did quote $1999. They were the absolute highest. Most I talked to were in the middle and rather than a set price wanted to charge parts ($999.99) and labor by the hour. After the dealers do a few installs I expect pricing to settle out. I'm going to wait and let them learn and figure things out on someone else's trailer.

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Not sure who your little birdie is. When I called Colonial they quoted $1450. They were actually the lowest price of the dealers I called. Airstream of Tampa did quote $1999. They were the absolute highest. Most I talked to were in the middle and rather than a set price wanted to charge parts ($999.99) and labor by the hour. After the dealers do a few installs I expect pricing to settle out. I'm going to wait and let them learn and figure things out on someone else's trailer.

Thanks,

Steve

I talked to Colonial today and also was quoted $1450 for equipment and labor.
mdtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtravelers View Post
I talked to Colonial today and also was quoted $1450 for equipment and labor.
I just shot that lying bird! .

I would also think that every trailer has its own difficulties for the install. $500 seems plenty if Airstream has developed a repeatable procedure.

Tom & Doty
Old 03-21-2019, 12:48 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI the older thread is active again with recent updates:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ms-187354.html

FYI
Old 03-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #128
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
What Data can Airstream Collect on the User

With the second SIM that provides remote control of so many functions within the trailer,
does this also mean that Airstream has the ability to collect data on the user, such as GPS locations?
Does Airstream have the right to sell that data?
I am certain someone has the fine print clause.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
It would appear that the second sim is only for when you don't activate the LTE connection.

The manual states that Airstream (and whoever they've partnered with - czone, AT&T and czone's integrator) can track you. The manual also says you can have that turned off, but you will lose some functionality. I assume that means the GPS tracking will no longer work and if you turn off the integrator's access, your remote control/monitor ability will no longer work.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
It would appear that the second sim is only for when you don't activate the LTE connection.

The manual states that Airstream (and whoever they've partnered with - czone, AT&T and czone's integrator) can track you. The manual also says you can have that turned off, but you will lose some functionality. I assume that means the GPS tracking will no longer work and if you turn off the integrator's access, your remote control/monitor ability will no longer work.
This is correct. They call the somewhat limited second SIM a white card. It will still allow you to use the czone connect. You just won't have enough data for any WiFi.

Tom & Doty
Old 04-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I’ve read this entire thread. I’ve understood perhaps 30% of it [emoji3]

It appears the bottom line if you’re interested in this package is to have the factory disable “campground” (WiFi over WAN). Other than that good to go? Have to admit - the 9 page PDF is I’m sure expertly documented - but the idea of paying $1500-2000 on the installed system and then doing a single thing to it is offputting to say the least....

Have I understood that correctly? It would be a miracle if I did [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:15 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
You understand it correctly, but you need to add a wireless dual band router to get double the speed. inexpensive and easy to do!

Tom & Doty
Old 04-02-2019, 04:17 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Miracle! [emoji3]
Thanks. I’ll reread this thread a few times before deciding. Thanks for pioneering the experience turk123!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:25 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I’ve read this entire thread. I’ve understood perhaps 30% of it [emoji3]

It appears the bottom line if you’re interested in this package is to have the factory disable “campground” (WiFi over WAN). Other than that good to go? Have to admit - the 9 page PDF is I’m sure expertly documented - but the idea of paying $1500-2000 on the installed system and then doing a single thing to it is offputting to say the least....

Have I understood that correctly? It would be a miracle if I did [emoji3]

Ditto to confusion and cost. Glad you got the confirmation just now. TBD IMO.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 04-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
The main reason I went with Airstream Connected is to get access to the data plan and because I am to big a chicken to drill aluminum needed for the antenna. As turk123 mentioned previously, adding the router is pretty simple.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #136
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post

So, if some lowlife steals my trailer and this system is operating, they could probably tell me where my stolen trailer is? Cool!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #137
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Buyers remorse?

Yesterday I was lucky(or unlucky) to finally get back my 2015 Flying Cloud 30ft with Airstream Connected installed. We'd been really excited about this fully unlimited internet option since Airstream announced it months ago. I called dealers all over the west and finally found one in southern California.

I took it for a test drive last night. The setup was easy through the Airstream connected app. I quickly and excitedly did a speed test and got a whooping(sarcasm) 6 MBPS down and .7 up. I did a speed test on my AT&T iPhone and got over 60 MBPS down and 50 up. How is this possible? They are most likely using the same towers...how could the speeds be so different?

I've scoured this forum and see the suggestion on adding a 5ghz wireless router. But no way that going to give me that much of a speed boost right? I feel like I've made a terrible $2000 mistake. I'm a traveling filmmaker and need a consistent high speed connection in order to survive out here.

I called Airstream this morning and was told to try the additional router idea but otherwise they were very little help. Any further suggestions would be much appreciated. Otherwise I'm going back to the dealer and trying something else.
SmallStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I think this Airstream page is new?

https://www.airstream.com/connected/

Does the unlimited plan for $360 per year apply only for data that comes through the Airstream router/system, or do we get a new data plan from AT&T which applies to all devices, no matter where located?

In other words, if we get back from a trip, and the trailer is parked someplace, do our AT&T cell phones still benefit from the umbrella of this plan, even if they are using local cell towers independent of the Airstream router?

At the bottom of the page linked above, the fine print says:

"Roaming: You get an off-net (roaming) usage allowance for each service. If you exceed the allowance, your service(s) may be restricted or terminated. International and domestic off-net data may be at 2G speeds."

So . . . it appears that the "unlimited" is only for data use tethered to the AS Connected router, right?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #139
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I think this Airstream page is new?

https://www.airstream.com/connected/

Does the unlimited plan for $360 per year apply only for data that comes through the Airstream router/system, or do we get a new data plan from AT&T which applies to all devices, no matter where located?

In other words, if we get back from a trip, and the trailer is parked someplace, do our AT&T cell phones still benefit from the umbrella of this plan, even if they are using local cell towers independent of the Airstream router?

At the bottom of the page linked above, the fine print says:

"Roaming: You get an off-net (roaming) usage allowance for each service. If you exceed the allowance, your service(s) may be restricted or terminated. International and domestic off-net data may be at 2G speeds."

So . . . it appears that the "unlimited" is only for data use tethered to the AS Connected router, right?

Thanks,

Peter
Thats correct Peter. The Unlimited $360 plan ONLY works with the Airstream Connected system. In fact, I'm already an AT&T customer and couldn't figure out how to add it to my existing account so had to setup a new account. Kinda silly if you ask me.
SmallStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallStream View Post
Yesterday I was lucky(or unlucky) to finally get back my 2015 Flying Cloud 30ft with Airstream Connected installed. We'd been really excited about this fully unlimited internet option since Airstream announced it months ago. I called dealers all over the west and finally found one in southern California.

I took it for a test drive last night. The setup was easy through the Airstream connected app. I quickly and excitedly did a speed test and got a whooping(sarcasm) 6 MBPS down and .7 up. I did a speed test on my AT&T iPhone and got over 60 MBPS down and 50 up. How is this possible? They are most likely using the same towers...how could the speeds be so different?

I've scoured this forum and see the suggestion on adding a 5ghz wireless router. But no way that going to give me that much of a speed boost right? I feel like I've made a terrible $2000 mistake. I'm a traveling filmmaker and need a consistent high speed connection in order to survive out here.

I called Airstream this morning and was told to try the additional router idea but otherwise they were very little help. Any further suggestions would be much appreciated. Otherwise I'm going back to the dealer and trying something else.

PM me with your phone number and I will walk you through how to fix it.

Turk

Tom & Doty