Old 02-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #41
Bob & Clestine

2018 27' Globetrotter
Cosby , Tennessee
Data plan

Is the $360 data plan for the first year a special introductory rate or does it increase substantially when renewing?

Thanks!

TinCan Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCan Betty View Post
Is the $360 data plan for the first year a special introductory rate or does it increase substantially when renewing?

Thanks!

There is no fine print that it’s an “introductory rate” however mobile providers change their plans all the time. Nothing is guaranteed to be the same package-wise a year from now

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I was charged $360 for the first year, and Airstream offers a second year for free. That should guarantee at least a two year plan. most providers keep plans as long as you pay

2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I don't know it this is off topic but it was mentioned earlier. My GMC TV has a wifi hot spot in it. AT&T unlimited data is $20-$25/ mos. I can get the signal in my TT but have to have my ignition on but engine not started. This has my headlights on and TV unlocked. Does anyone have a solution around this. It would be a lot cheaper than having the $999 install in the TT.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:42 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I don't know it this is off topic but it was mentioned earlier. My GMC TV has a wifi hot spot in it. AT&T unlimited data is $20-$25/ mos. I can get the signal in my TT but have to have my ignition on but engine not started. This has my headlights on and TV unlocked. Does anyone have a solution around this. It would be a lot cheaper than having the $999 install in the TT.

That GMC / AT&T automotive plan dramatically throttles your speed down after 22GB of usage (I had the same plan). Big difference here - airstream plan is not throttled for speed regardless of data usage - which is a game changer in today’s marketplace for a mobile hotspot service where the user needs / uses any real amount of data (I can easily burn through 20 Gigs in a day working on a hotspot).

Regarding your question - for the GMC LTE radio and hotspot to work you need to have the ACC on, which requires a bunch of other accessories to be hot. No way around that.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I was charged $360 for the first year, and Airstream offers a second year for free. That should guarantee at least a two year plan. most providers keep plans as long as you pay

That’s good to know. I agree about providers keeping the plan as long as you pay - for post paid plans.

This plan is pre-paid, and carriers are not locked into grandfathering like post paid. Good maneuver by AT&T here based on past learnings offering unlimited post-paid plans in the past.

That being said if you are locked for 2 years that is awesome. Amazing value if you are a data hungry user.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I think for us power-hungry users the average of all Airstream users will balance out and not tax the system asking for ATT to change it.

I think it will remain for years to come.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:23 PM   #48
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Hi Turk123,

The current program for 2019 Airstream Classic owners is a factory rebate for the first year of unlimited data. After a customer signs up and pays for the service from AT&T, Airstream will reimburse owners who complete the rebate form for the first year of service.

Regarding the data plans, they're controlled by AT&T. Here's an excerpt of the fine print listed on the Connected Vehicle/Airstream page at att.com/airstream.

AT&T svc is subject to AT&T network management policies, see att.com/broadbandinfo for details.

Stream Saver feature not available for this Plan.

General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to AT&T Session Based Wireless Data Services Agreement available at https://www.att.com/legal/terms.sess...ment.list.html

Pricing, offer & terms subject to change & may be modified or terminated at any time without notice. Coverage & service not available everywhere.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I believe the dealer originally explained to us the two-year thing. My wife just informed me that we got re-embursed for the $360 we paid for the first year so I was wrong.

From the fine print, it looks like ATT can change the plan anytime they like. That said, I would think that Airstream has some kind of agreement with ATT for a period of time as to not get into a spitting match with its customers that pay for the hardware and installation (that is part of the classic cost also) and then get the program yanked off the shelves in 6 months.

I think it is a safe bet to install the system and get many years of service from ATT. I believe this type of program will roll out with other manufacturers of trailers and coaches if it hasn't already. I've had so many campers ask me about it. Word is getting around what Airstream has pioneered.

That's a good thing!

Old 02-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
If they (ATT) are bound by the rules (either legal or industry standard) that govern cell phone plans, they are obligated to honor the terms of any contract that is signed not only for the length of the contract, but they are obligated to allow the customer to renew (in perpetuity) the contract period with existing terms. So if the carrier changes plans at any time, customers on "older" terms do not have to sign up for newer (often less desirable) terms. But any changes to the plan can require a customer to accept newer terms and any changes to the equipment that supports older plans can make them undesirable.

All of us probably know this from our mobile contracts and I'm sure everyone knows someone who is still on an old unlimited plan back from the days that carriers didn't seem to know how much this "internet on the mobile phone" would catch on. I have friends who are on an unlimited AT&T plan back from when Apple was shipping the iPhone 3 or 4.

I am interested in finding out whether this Airstream Connected equipment is locked to AT&T and if so, whether AT&T will adopt the industry practice of unlocking this equipment after the initial contract period ends. Data plans and offerings change often as the technology and equipment changes and it would be nice for Connected customers to know that they have the ability to move off AT&T eventually if their location or route warrants it.

Also, does anyone know what international / NA coverage looks like under the AT&T plan? Is data roaming in Canada covered (or available?)
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #51
Bob & Clestine

2018 27' Globetrotter
Cosby , Tennessee
Does the Airstream solution boost the celluar signal strength for other carriers including Verizon and Sprint? Trying to figure out if a cell signal booster is needed for areas without AT&T signal but other carriers have service.

Thanks!
TinCan Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
If they (ATT) are bound by the rules (either legal or industry standard) that govern cell phone plans, they are obligated to honor the terms of any contract that is signed not only for the length of the contract, but they are obligated to allow the customer to renew (in perpetuity) the contract period with existing terms. So if the carrier changes plans at any time, customers on "older" terms do not have to sign up for newer (often less desirable) terms.

True for post-paid plans.

NOT true for prepaid plans.

This is a prepaid plan. AT&T are only required to adhere to the terms of the plan for the initial Term, in this case 12 months. They have no obligation to offer the same plan for renewal (again for pre-paid plans, which the airstream plan is)
Old 02-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

The airstream solution uses the pepwave BR1 mini modem. It is not ‘boosted’ although you could wire the external antenna lead through a signal amplifier like a weboost (I am considering this).

The device is enabled with an AT&T SIM card, on an airstream specific data plan with att, so if you can’t get att service you are stuck. It will not fail over to other carriers “out of the box”.

The BR1 does have a second SIM card slot, but you are in uncharted territory regarding fail over to a second carrier, and even if you wanted to you’d need a second, separate Mobile hotspot plan for the second Verizon/sprint SIM card.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
This is a prepaid plan. AT&T are only required to adhere to the terms of the plan for the initial Term, in this case 12 months. They have no obligation to offer the same plan for renewal (again for pre-paid plans, which the airstream plan is)
Ah yeah, that's a good point--this is prepaid. Wonder if that's why they require the whole "pay up then we will reimburse you" process?

Anyway, looks like a great system and a good plan. I'm still on the fence about it but I'll have to make a call one way or the other soon. There's definitely part of me that is impressed by the numbers folks are getting off this system. Then there's the part of me that likes to emphasize that the whole reason I'm taking this time off work and why I've purchased the Airstream is to get *away* from being online all the time
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Vintage

Subscribed to see when someone installs in a vintage, “real” classic!
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:15 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I'm trying to understand why Airstream would go with AT&T when so many of their customers travel to parts of the country where Verizon has superior coverage.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Probably because AT&T gave Airstream a better deal. (Better kickback? Perish the thought)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #58
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I was quite surprised at how good AT&T coverage was in the Western and Pacific Northwest states.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I've only hit a few spots where AT&T has no service, usually out in the wilds of Texas Hill Country or the like, or really deep mountain valleys in the South or Northwest.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I was quite surprised at how good AT&T coverage was in the Western and Pacific Northwest states.
In this vein: Anyone know how good it may be in Vermont, NH, Maine areas?

That is where we will most likely spend most of our time.

TIA

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote