Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #401
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Actually, I think the antenna is the MIMO-3-V2-15 which includes 2.4/5.8GHz MIMO WiFi

Amazon has it on their marketplace for $193
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #402
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Hmmm, I've never had a problem except once recently when we were at JC. I could not get connected remotely with my iPhone, but my wife's Pixel could connect. The tech removed my app, shut the phone off, restarted, downloaded the app, and then re-paired it with the QR code on the front of the Modem box in the cabinet. it worked like a charm.

If you can't get it to work after doing this, I would call Jason to see if he can access your trailer.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Jason had me do the same fix as you and it did indeed work. However, after the 20th or so time, I've decided it just isn't worth it. If they can't get it to work reliably, it's not user-friendly. I'm exploring other avenues now.

Also, I've had my trailer at either storage, my house, or on the road for over two weeks since it spent 5 weeks at the dealer to have 2.5 hours of labor performed on it. The system still reports it at the dealer.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #403
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Quote:
That's what I did. The panel is on the back of the compartment access to the speaker. You can use its own fuse by adding a 5A fuse to the fuse block and your red and black leads.
My installation is different. They ran a 12v line into the cabinet next to my refrigerator. I'm in a 2018 Classic 33 and it would have been a much more complex installation to run it to my media rack.

Can I just splice into the 12v line and tap off of it? I was thinking of running a splice into the positive and negative and run to the adapter plug of my router per supply after cutting it of the originalpower supply.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E77ADCD5-150A-4D9C-B706-7BDEAB863ABA.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	349908   Click image for larger version

Name:	3D298EFC-333A-464A-B300-11E6E75ED61C.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	349909  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6C7CEAA3-9358-4489-828E-8A23DB7CD3DF.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	349910  
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #404
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
My installation is different. They ran a 12v line into the cabinet next to my refrigerator. I'm in a 2018 Classic 33 and it would have been a much more complex installation to run it to my media rack.

Can I just splice into the 12v line and tap off of it? I was thinking of running a splice into the positive and negative and run to the adapter plug of my router per supply after cutting it of the originalpower supply.

Thoughts?
That would be fine. Get it after the fuse or add a 5A inline fuse just for kicks.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #405
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
When I first started Airstreaming I dropped AT&T and picked up Verizon. No complaints so far. AT&T is only good for collecting money. This season I mostly have been at KOA's and there internet has been quite good. Not for streaming but I don't do that anyway. When I need to I use my Verizon Jetpack with unlimited data. Works well also.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #406
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
I just picked up my 2020 airstream 30 ft classic a few weeks ago. I downloaded the smart app and have no problem controlling/monitoring the onboard systems from my iPhone/IPad. However, I remotely engaged the battery disconnect button from the app and shut all battery power off to the airstream. When I go back to the app and try to re-engage the battery power the app will no longer allow connection to my trailer and simply states that in order to re-engage power I must use the battery disconnect button. When I attempt to do so nothing happens and the blank control screen reads “reconnecting the battery (via the remote)” but no reconnection takes place. I know I’m technologically challenged in many ways and I apologize if this is a dumb question-why can’t I reconnect the battery supply from the app remotely and regain control/monitoring of my onboard systems? If I go to the airstream and physically re-engage the battery switch near the door everything works fine with the app. But for some reason I cannot get the app to re-engage the battery supply remotely to regain control/monitoring of the system through the app. Thoughts?
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #407
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjcjr View Post
I just picked up my 2020 airstream 30 ft classic a few weeks ago. I downloaded the smart app and have no problem controlling/monitoring the onboard systems from my iPhone/IPad. However, I remotely engaged the battery disconnect button from the app and shut all battery power off to the airstream. When I go back to the app and try to re-engage the battery power the app will no longer allow connection to my trailer and simply states that in order to re-engage power I must use the battery disconnect button. When I attempt to do so nothing happens and the blank control screen reads “reconnecting the battery (via the remote)” but no reconnection takes place. I know I’m technologically challenged in many ways and I apologize if this is a dumb question-why can’t I reconnect the battery supply from the app remotely and regain control/monitoring of my onboard systems? If I go to the airstream and physically re-engage the battery switch near the door everything works fine with the app. But for some reason I cannot get the app to re-engage the battery supply remotely to regain control/monitoring of the system through the app. Thoughts?
How long did you wait? The BR-1 modem needs time to reboot, connect, and restart the process. That can take up to a few minutes.

If you try now, does it work?
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #408
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
How long did you wait? The BR-1 modem needs time to reboot, connect, and restart the process. That can take up to a few minutes.

If you try now, does it work?
I’ve tried several times over the course of the past few days and have waited several minutes each time.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #409
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
I’ve tried several times over the course of the past few days and have waited several minutes each time.
Give JC a call and ask for customer service. I'm sure they will know what is going on and can guide you quickly to the answer, they are open now, give them a call.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #410
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Once you disconnect the battery using the app remotely, you cannot turn the battery back on remotely. It shuts down the systems and I believe the modem.

So don't do that!

Tom & Doty
Old 08-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #411
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Once you disconnect the battery using the app remotely, you cannot turn the battery back on remotely. It shuts down the systems and I believe the modem.

So don't do that!
That shouldn't be the case. The modem is connected to the 24hr circuit controlled by the keyswitch near the modem. In addition, in the front right speaker cabinet is another CZone module that is also on this 24hr circuit. This module is what controls the Remote battery switch. As long as the keyswitch is turned on, the system should be able to be remotely turned on AND off.

That being said, mine used to work and then after the upgrade that Airstream pushed out last month, it refuses to connect remotely. I can still manage things locally, but that sort of defeats the purpose. I could just as easily open the door and push the buttons myself. When I attempt a "remote" connection, it always responds that my trailer is offline even though it isn't.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #412
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
That shouldn't be the case. The modem is connected to the 24hr circuit controlled by the keyswitch near the modem. In addition, in the front right speaker cabinet is another CZone module that is also on this 24hr circuit. This module is what controls the Remote battery switch. As long as the key switch is turned on, the system should be able to be remotely turned on AND off.

That being said, mine used to work and then after the upgrade that Airstream pushed out last month, it refuses to connect remotely. I can still manage things locally, but that sort of defeats the purpose. I could just as easily open the door and push the buttons myself. When I attempt a "remote" connection, it always responds that my trailer is offline even though it isn't.
I recently had my entry door panel replaced at JC as the battery disconnect button did not work on that panel at all. I guess I never tried using the app after that. I will try it now!

Wow! It worked!

The problem I had with my entry panel was that the disconnect button did not move at all. It did not feel like the other buttons on the panel.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #413
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:

So don't do that!
Turk: Thanks so much for your reply. If that's so, and I am certainly not disagreeing with you, why would the remote app have a function selection that allows for reconnecting the battery? My screen specifically states: "Battery disconnected. To reconnect power to all systems, and regain access to your controls, use the Battery Disconnect button". And below that message is a Battery disconnect function which, when pressed, brings me to the control page that has a message at the top stating "Reconnecting the battery (via remote)". That said, the app simply will not allow the remote reconnection for some reason.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #414
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Turk: Thanks so much for your reply. If that's so, and I am certainly not disagreeing with you, why would the remote app have a function selection that allows for reconnecting the battery? My screen specifically states: "Battery disconnected. To reconnect power to all systems, and regain access to your controls, use the Battery Disconnect button". And below that message is a Battery disconnect function which, when pressed, brings me to the control page that has a message at the top stating "Reconnecting the battery (via remote)". That said, the app simply will not allow the remote reconnection for some reason.
Our posts must have crossed. Read above yours.

That said, does your battery disconnect switch on the entry pad by the front door work?

Tom & Doty
Old 08-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #415
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
once you disconnect the battery using the app remotely, you cannot turn the battery back on remotely. It shuts down the systems and i believe the modem.

So don't do that!
Quote:
our posts must have crossed. Read above yours.

That said, does your battery disconnect switch on the entry pad by the front door work?
yes!
Old 08-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #416
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
There is a way to check if the Czone module in the speaker cabinet is responding to the LCD panel. If the dip switches are wrong, it will not see the module. My Airstream is in storage right now so I cannot check, but in the Czone panel on the wall, there is a way to look at all the button panels and devices and their dip switch settings. Also, see if one is offline.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #417
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
If you want to dig deeper download the CZONE Configuration tool and then pull the config from the system. There is a CZONE manual for the COI unit which has a USB port. Easy to use a USB stick to do the download following the instructions in the COI manual. Then you use the Config Tool and can see all of the setting information, dip switch settings and the like.

If a module is not responding you will get a warning message on the display panel. In my case I am getting three warnings which remote trouble shooting with Jackson Center have not gotten resolved. Awning LT in bypass, Awning LT short and Display offline. The display is not offline since I am using it.

I'm guessing that the system needs a reset and reinstall of the config file as everything is working with the exception of the Awning Light and two of the buttons on the door panel constantly flashing. Gotta love gremlins.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #418
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks, all, for this discussion. I've watched it through thirty screens now, and it convinces me that the system is too damn complicated and too error prone. THWI. I'm just going to use my cell phone's hotspot.

Odd that in this day and age Airstream can't figure out a way to make this foolproof.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #419
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
Thanks, all, for this discussion. I've watched it through thirty screens now, and it convinces me that the system is too damn complicated and too error prone. THWI. I'm just going to use my cell phone's hotspot.

Odd that in this day and age Airstream can't figure out a way to make this foolproof.
They actually have a good product, but it has some bugs and is plagued by problems with the router they chose. I suspect that peplink sold them on that router's capabilities and they should have gone with the next higher up model. Everything else is fixable with simple software updates, but that hardware is an issue.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #420
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
There is no fine print that it’s an “introductory rate” however mobile providers change their plans all the time. Nothing is guaranteed to be the same package-wise a year from now
Hmmm, just wondering if my GM LTE unlimited data ATT plan really is a fixed rate then. The agent that signed me up claimed the $20/month was guaranteed for as long as I kept a continuous contract which could be transferred to my next vehicle. BTW this seems to work well for us, and much better than iPhone hotspot.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote