Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorin View Post
Hey everyone! I've got one of these installed in my 2017 Int Sig and have been using it while working full time on the road. Happy to answer any questions you might have!

Here's some initial feedback as someone who worked off of a hot spot and phone previously.

For starters I can say the reception is far better than my hotspot ever was, and that's even with the Weboost cell booster system on my trailer. I have yet to find a single place where the connect system didn't have coverage, and I choose some remote locations.

Subsequently speed has been better as well. Outside Anza Borrego I was pulling down 41 mbps, but I consistently see 13-15 mbps in remote locations with poor cell service. This has been enough to upload hi-res photos for work, stream videos etc.

As someone noted earlier "unlimited" data is available through other hotspots, but the big difference is that this plan doesn't throttle you after a certain amount of data is used. I usually found that my hotspot became unusable once it was throttled, so not having to deal with that was a huge bonus.

There's no discernible drop in speed relocating throughout the trailer or working outside the trailer for that matter.

One thing I have yet to test is how much power it actually draws while in use. I don't carry a generator as I run solar, but after a few cloudy days this has been top of mind for me. The site says 12W max draw, but I'll be looking into that soon.

Another thing I wanted to touch on was price, as some folks seem to question the $999 cost. The best thing I can compare this to is purchasing a high quality cell booster. My booster cost nearly $600, and that only amplifies the signal of whatever hotspot unit you buy. Good hotspots are usually another $100 to $200, and they still won't match the speeds I've been seeing so far.

I'm not suggesting this is some perfect system, but it is the best option I've used thus far and I'm really happy with it.

As a side note, I did read through some of the issues Turk posted in the other thread. I haven't experienced a single problem with my unit so far, but I will certainly post up anything I encounter!

Edit: wow can't believe this was my first post since 2016... I've been lurking too long.
Hi Splorin

What modem did they install? Pepwave max?

If you can, please run speedtest on your laptop and then hard wire your laptop into the peplink's ethernet port. Test again turning wi-fi off on the laptop. Compare the speeds for me if you can. Maybe they've changed something on the "option" modems.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Hi Splorin

What modem did they install? Pepwave max?

If you can, please run speedtest on your laptop and then hard wire your laptop into the peplink's ethernet port. Test again turning wi-fi off on the laptop. Compare the speeds for me if you can. Maybe they've changed something on the "option" modems.
Yeah it's the BR1 Mini. Should be the same one as yours according to Airstream. (I asked after I saw your post)
And I dont have an ehternet port on my laptop! Darn macs haha. I have tested on my phone and computer both with one and two or more devices connected. I saw the same results.
Splorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Hey everyone! I've got one of these installed in my 2017 Int Sig and have been using it while working full time on the road. Happy to answer any questions you might have!

Here's some initial feedback as someone who worked off of a hot spot and phone previously.

For starters I can say the reception is far better than my hotspot ever was, and that's even with the Weboost cell booster system on my trailer. I have yet to find a single place where the connect system didn't have coverage, and I choose some remote locations.

Subsequently speed has been better as well. Outside Anza Borrego I was pulling down 41 mbps, but I consistently see 13-15 mbps in remote locations with poor cell service. This has been enough to upload hi-res photos for work, stream videos etc.

As someone noted earlier "unlimited" data is available through other hotspots, but the big difference is that this plan doesn't throttle you after a certain amount of data is used. I usually found that my hotspot became unusable once it was throttled, so not having to deal with that was a huge bonus.

There's no discernible drop in speed relocating throughout the trailer or working outside the trailer for that matter.

One thing I have yet to test is how much power it actually draws while in use. I don't carry a generator as I run solar, but after a few cloudy days this has been top of mind for me. The site says 12W max draw, but I'll be looking into that soon.

Another thing I wanted to touch on was price, as some folks seem to question the $999 cost. The best thing I can compare this to is purchasing a high quality cell booster. My booster cost nearly $600, and that only amplifies the signal of whatever hotspot unit you buy. Good hotspots are usually another $100 to $200, and they still won't match the speeds I've been seeing so far.

I'm not suggesting this is some perfect system, but it is the best option I've used thus far and I'm really happy with it.

As a side note, I did read through some of the issues Turk posted in the other thread. I haven't experienced a single problem with my unit so far, but I will certainly post up anything I encounter!

Edit: wow can't believe this was my first post since 2016... I've been lurking too long.
Splorin, can you confirm that the installed price (equipment and labor) was $999? I was quoted today when I placed the order at my local dealer that it was $999 for equipment and 3-4 hours labor. Thanks in advance.
Bgkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #24
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

Mmmmm. Cost for the pepwave br1 mini hardware is $299.

I’ve got everything else needed already installed in the trailer including external antenna and LTE signal booster which I can tap into. I would hard wire LAN into my existing pepwave soho router.

Now... need to figure out how to convince airstream and at&t to let me register a non-dealer installed, non-airstream supplied device with this data plan [emoji4]

I will find a way....
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #25
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Remember, the $999 is an installed price. As a comparison, we have an accessories catalog from Airstream Adventures Northwest. The price for a weBoost Drive 4G-X RV (not as powerful as the $600 one mentioned above) installed by them is $1035 (the unit costs $499.99). I think $999 installed for this much capability is a great price.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the post; the $999 MSRP is for the hardware (mobile router, roof-mounted antenna, and specially designed mounting bracket). It also includes a companion app to easily manage network settings, locate your Airstream with built-in GPS and includes departure and arrival checklists. Professional installation is additional.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #26
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgkirk View Post
Splorin, can you confirm that the installed price (equipment and labor) was $999? I was quoted today when I placed the order at my local dealer that it was $999 for equipment and 3-4 hours labor. Thanks in advance.
Hi Bgkirk,

The $999 MSRP is for the hardware (mobile router, roof-mounted antenna, and specially designed mounting bracket). It also includes a companion app to easily manage network settings, locate your Airstream with built-in GPS and includes departure and arrival checklists. Professional installation is additional.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #27
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Mmmmm. Cost for the pepwave br1 mini hardware is $299.

I’ve got everything else needed already installed in the trailer including external antenna and LTE signal booster which I can tap into. I would hard wire LAN into my existing pepwave soho router.

Now... need to figure out how to convince airstream and at&t to let me register a non-dealer installed, non-airstream supplied device with this data plan [emoji4]

I will find a way....
Hi Wulfraat,

The cellular plans we created in partnership with AT&T are tied to the serial number of the Airstream Connected devices. In other words, you need the Airstream Connected hardware to be able to purchase those data plans.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Wulfraat,

The cellular plans we created in partnership with AT&T are tied to the serial number of the Airstream Connected devices. In other words, you need the Airstream Connected hardware to be able to purchase those data plans.
Does the hardware include the wooden box that houses the peplink and the 12v buss allowing you to lock the WiFi with a key?

Tom & Doty
Old 02-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #29
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Hi Wulfraat,

Thanks.

Can I simply buy the hardware and self-activate with AT&T and forgo professional installation?

Secondly, do I have to buy the hardware from Airstream, knowing that it is a standard pepwave BR1 modem?
Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #30
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Does the hardware include the wooden box that houses the peplink and the 12v buss allowing you to lock the WiFi with a key?
Because Airstream Connected is a universal aftermarket kit to go into any Airstream (travel trailer, Nest, Basecamp, touring coach, etc), there's isn't a keyed switch and box that matches the overhead cabinet like in your Smart Classic.

This gives people the ability to install it in a variety of places (without having to accommodate space for the box) while tapping directly into 12 VDC power.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Seems like a real hassle just to watch movies

On the other hand, if you are working remotely from your airstream, and your job is editing video for paying clients in real time, then no data plan will give you sufficient bandwidth in the wild.

If, on the other hand, you work remotely, doing word processing and spreadsheets, any cellular carrier should be able to provide adequate service near most major cities. Best of luck if you are in the boonies.

But if what you are trying to do is watch NETFLIX via cellular internet, I think you are about two years ahead of the 5G technology that will make that viable.

In the meantime, there is this remarkable technology that lets you watch High Def movies anywhere you have a modicum of power, regardless of signal strength, for very little money, and you can keep what you watch, and watch it as many times as you want forever. And it is surprisingly affordable. It's called Blu-Ray...
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #32
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Thanks.

Can I simply buy the hardware and self-activate with AT&T and forgo professional installation?

Secondly, do I have to buy the hardware from Airstream, knowing that it is a standard pepwave BR1 modem?

I'm sure you can buy the hardware from your dealer and swap out the router you currently have. The roof-mounted antenna and companion APP are great though.

The Airstream Connected serial numbers are provided to AT&T to only make those devices eligible for the rate plans. Off-the-shelf BR1's will not qualify for the rate plans we created.

Part of this is to prevent abuse (installed in other places than an Airstream/RV). As part of the onboarding process in the Connected App, you're required to enter your Airstream's VIN for validation before you can sign up for data plans.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #33
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

Got it. That helps greatly. Thank you kindly. Sounds like provisioning / activation is accomplished via the app then?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Hi Bgkirk,

The $999 MSRP is for the hardware (mobile router, roof-mounted antenna, and specially designed mounting bracket). It also includes a companion app to easily manage network settings, locate your Airstream with built-in GPS and includes departure and arrival checklists. Professional installation is additional.
Airstream,

Thanks very much for the information. Sounds like what I was told today.
Bgkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
So it looks like more of a $1500 solution plus the $360 yearly fee. That sounds like a lot of money, but after talking to Dan at JC today (and who may be talking here ) I used 223 Gb of bandwidth this past January. That would not be possible on any plan today I don't think.

223 GB! What the heck was I doing?????

Tom & Doty
Old 02-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #36
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Data goes fast - I use almost a terabyte per month at home.

Turk123 - did you provision your equipment and activate your plan via the mobile app or web?....or did your dealer do that for you?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Data goes fast - I use almost a terabyte per month at home.

Turk123 - did you provision your equipment and activate your plan via the mobile app or web?....or did your dealer do that for you?
I did it. You have to log into ATT and setup plan then there is a QR Code you scan to activate. Airstream makes you buy one year and then gives you 1 year free. I have not heard if the $999 options gives you a free year, but I doubt it.

Tom & Doty
Old 02-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Denver , Colorado
thank you

This is the info that I have been waiting for. I am joining the thread to stay current. Thank you AS and fellow Airstreamers!
RChrisClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
On the other hand, if you are working remotely from your airstream, and your job is editing video for paying clients in real time, then no data plan will give you sufficient bandwidth in the wild.

If, on the other hand, you work remotely, doing word processing and spreadsheets, any cellular carrier should be able to provide adequate service near most major cities. Best of luck if you are in the boonies.

But if what you are trying to do is watch NETFLIX via cellular internet, I think you are about two years ahead of the 5G technology that will make that viable.

In the meantime, there is this remarkable technology that lets you watch High Def movies anywhere you have a modicum of power, regardless of signal strength, for very little money, and you can keep what you watch, and watch it as many times as you want forever. And it is surprisingly affordable. It's called Blu-Ray...
I stream Netflix and Prime Video all the time over my Connect in the middle of nowehere haha. Not sure what you mean by being two years ahead of the curve? I also upload gigs of photos and videos to our website over this system and download just as much. Not a single problem with any of it so far.
Splorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I stream Netflix and Prime Video all the time over my Connect in the middle of nowhere haha. Not sure what you mean by being two years ahead of the curve? I also upload gigs of photos and videos to our website over this system and download just as much. Not a single problem with any of it so far.
That is great to hear. The installation may be different than how the Classics were wired and may not have some "interference" issues that the Classic may have with other equipment. JC told me they are very aware of all the devices that are used in the Classics as electronic interference can easily be a problem. That is why you see a lot of wire filters installed on some devices.

JC called me the other day to go over the findings I had with the second router. One point that was brought up was that adding the second router lets you run 5 GHz (with a dual-band router) for faster speeds as the Peplink only has 2 GHz. choice. They also said that the more data customers are using, the more they hear from them about issues. That makes sense. More complex uses for the Wi-Fi will make issues raise their head. So far, the second router has eliminated everything I've encountered before.

I hope this trend keeps up especially with the "option" installs. JC wants me to do some additional testing with the campground feature to see if that problem still exists. I won't be able to help them until April when we get back to our trailer in Arizona.

Tom & Doty