Old 05-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #261
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
We're about 40 feet apart, same elevation, but probably 120 degrees different in trailer/antenna orientation.

I just measured 1.02 Mbps download and then 10 minutes later .66 Mbps.
Makes me wonder if AT&T are applying network management when the local tower is congested, even though they claim network management does not apply to this particular Airstream Connected prepaid plan.

I've seen similar behavior on the Verizon prepaid unlimited plan (which is network managed all the time). You can go from 20Mbs to 2 Mbs and bounce back up all within a minute or two. Has nothing to do with signal strength, etc.. in my testing on Verizon anyways...

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:43 AM   #262
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Makes me wonder if AT&T are applying network management when the local tower is congested, even though they claim network management does not apply to this particular Airstream Connected prepaid plan.

I've seen similar behavior on the Verizon prepaid unlimited plan (which is network managed all the time). You can go from 20Mbs to 2 Mbs and bounce back up all within a minute or two. Has nothing to do with signal strength, etc.. in my testing on Verizon anyways...

Have you Traceroute compared each of your speed tests? Might not be taking same path. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute

GT2018WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #263
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCan Betty View Post
Crazy difference in performance we are getting...…
Received my "2nd Router" and hooked it up. No real difference. Yesterday I met another neighbor here in the A Loop who just had Airstream Connected installed. His trailer is right next to Bob's. He says his system is working fine. This guy's trailer is also about 30 feet from mine.

Spent some time working with Airstream technical support yesterday looking at my account to make sure things were set up right and trying some things. At this point I'm pretty sure either my antenna or my router have a problem.

Today we will be moving our trailer because of Alumapalooza. I'm hoping a different location and orientation will make a difference. If not I've asked Airstream to replace my system. Stay tuned.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #264
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post

Oh, and Turk, seriously "Indian something"? Clearly you weren't a Cowsills fan back in a time far far away. You know you have the Captain Sad and His Ship of Fools but just don't want to admit it
Oh my! That's what the song was about!

Not a Cowsills fan! Not a Cowsills fan!!! "The rain the park and other things" was the song from my first puppy love! Funny, I can't even remember her name!

Our Google images and chat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMQbpNXQwapMnj8t9
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #265
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Gray Court , South Carolina
We are still at the Terraport, parked near the others who have been posting.

We have the Verizon Prepaid Unlimted Data Plan, AT&T Wireless Internet, and new Airstream Connect. Verizon has the strongest signal here. Airstream Connect gets a much stronger signal than my AT&T Wireless Internet - which we will cancel now that we have Airstream Connect.

Here are our speed test results from this morning:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MobileInternet.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	341501  
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #266
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
As someone who works from my AI a great deal I have been struggling with data caps when tethering. I currently have my phone maxed per month at 15Gb, along with TWO AT&T mobile wifi hotspots with a max of 20Gb a month. Why two? Crazy thing is that AT&T will not sell you more than 20Gb per device...much like an airline saying you can't fly anymore this month...you have flown too much. So for every 20Gb you have to buy a new number, plan and device.

That's a total of 65Gb per month. To compare usage, at home, most in the U.S. average 500GB per month.

So I looked at Airstream Connect. I got excited. But, unlimited data? For $390.00 a year? That's a steal and impossible to believe. I pay $100.00 a month for 20Gb's of data tethering per mobile hotspot! So either this is the greatest plan ever launched in the history of all data OR people who stream Netflix a lot during the night are going to get a huge wakeup call in a few days when their data caps out and find themselves throttled and back to 1998 dial up. I fear the latter.

I am curious to know in a week or two what people are finding out and how much data they are using. Seems like this is almost a joke.
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #267
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
hey eyechip!

No joke. i’m using about 200-300 Gb/ month. No slowdown!

Old 05-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #268
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

We’re at the RV Hall of fame. Getting 15.5 down/ 15.2 up! Elkhart indiana

Old 05-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #269
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
As someone who works from my AI a great deal I have been struggling with data caps when tethering. I currently have my phone maxed per month at 15Gb, along with TWO AT&T mobile wifi hotspots with a max of 20Gb a month. Why two? Crazy thing is that AT&T will not sell you more than 20Gb per device...much like an airline saying you can't fly anymore this month...you have flown too much. So for every 20Gb you have to buy a new number, plan and device.

That's a total of 65Gb per month. To compare usage, at home, most in the U.S. average 500GB per month.

So I looked at Airstream Connect. I got excited. But, unlimited data? For $390.00 a year? That's a steal and impossible to believe. I pay $100.00 a month for 20Gb's of data tethering per mobile hotspot! So either this is the greatest plan ever launched in the history of all data OR people who stream Netflix a lot during the night are going to get a huge wakeup call in a few days when their data caps out and find themselves throttled and back to 1998 dial up. I fear the latter.

I am curious to know in a week or two what people are finding out and how much data they are using. Seems like this is almost a joke.

It will be the latter. Everyone confuses unlimited to mean never throttled. There is always fine print to throttle. Throttling is not capping, people get that wrong too. Throttling will always be an option they have to leave open to themselves. Always.
GT2018WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #270
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
The "fee" is $360/year not $390. Also, for New Classic owners, Airstream will pay the first year.

I agree that ATT may bring out the big stick and start throttling, but I have never experienced this since using the connect system. We have had consistently impressive numbers from the modified system.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:30 AM   #271
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
hey eyechip!

No joke. i’m using about 200-300 Gb/ month. No slowdown!

Yup. I use about 200G / month with my verizon prepaid unlimited plan. Both of these prepaid plans are awesome. AT&T airstream connect is the single best plan on the market with no network management and no throttling for $30/month paid in an annual installment of $360.

The relatively new (as of Q4 2018) Verizon prepaid unlimited for $65/mo is the second best plan on the market for big data users with no throttling but is always network managed.

At home I exceed 1 TB per month with gigabit access.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #272
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2018WA
It will be the latter. Everyone confuses unlimited to mean never throttled. There is always fine print to throttle. Throttling is not capping, people get that wrong too. Throttling will always be an option they have to leave open to themselves. Always.

I believe you mean “network management” which is the industry term.

Throttling - when you hit X GB of data usage in a given billing cycle your speed (Mbps) is automatically and permanently reduced to a set / pre-established Y Mbps for the remainder of the billing cycle.

Network Management - sometimes always, sometimes only after you hit X GB / month (depending on the plan) your Mbps speed may be temporarily reduced as your specific IP traffic is de-prioritized due to network / tower congestion during busy periods.

Airstream connect prepaid plan has neither throttling or network management currently. There is fine print that allows att to introduce network management if it ever wants to, but thus far looks like it is not doing so based on reports here.

The Verizon prepaid unlimited plan is always network managed. In the real world this simply does not happen very often, and most of the time speeds are very high download and upload.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #273
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Verizon's $65 unlimited plan is now history. No longer offered.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #274
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Today at Alumapoloza I spent 3-4 hours going over the PEPLINK Modem with Jason from Airstream and Ernie. We discovered another flaw to the Peplink modem.

Using the "Ping" function, we continue to get timeouts with the modem. If you reset the Peplink it will function perfectly for about 10-20 minutes. It then starts to timeout to the point it drops more than 60-70 percent of the bandwidth. Just horrible. It seems to happen in a low cell signal environment.

We had three laptops running and two would work just fine (the PC running Windows always worked) the other two were Macs and one would work fine but the other would start to drop out. It appears as if the ckl=lient list allows for the third device to just drop out of the picture. This is not a "network congestion" issue as Peplink suggests, but a firmware issue with their software. I suggested bypassing the DHCP server and set the Mac to a static address. It worked perfectly. It appears as if the DHCP server in the Peplink is flawed with Macintosh computers.

We called Peplink USA and they logged in a saw the issue. Diagnostic files were downloaded and will be sent to engineering in Korea.

Jason is very frustrated with all this. He is spending too much time solving issues that should be handled by Peplink.

Stay tuned as it is heating up!!!

Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #275
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Peplink released Version 8.0 of their firmware a few weeks ago. We downloaded it to Ernie and my Peplink in our trailers.

Once running we tested the software using the Ping function.

Get this. The new firmware slows the speed of the modem by a factor of 7!

Seven times slower bandwidth!!!!!

You see what we are dealing with . . . . . . . . .

Old 05-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #276
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Quote:
Today at Alumapoloza I spent 3-4 hours going over the PEPLINK Modem with Jason from Airstream and Ernie. We discovered another flaw to the Peplink modem.
Hi turk123,

I'm here at JC as well for Alumapalooza and service. Is there anyone in particular you are working with at the factory service center itself?

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #277
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Hi turk123,

I'm here at JC as well for Alumapalooza and service. Is there anyone in particular you are working with at the factory service center itself?

Thanks,

Steve
Jason is here.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #278
Bob & Clestine

2018 27' Globetrotter
Cosby , Tennessee
Quote:
Peplink released Version 8.0 of their firmware a few weeks ago. We downloaded it to Ernie and my Peplink in our trailers.

We had our system installed before Alumapalooza and ours worked from day one. We are at Alumapalooza also and the download speed decreased after the AT&T portable cell tower was turned on. We were getting 4-30 megs down and pings were in the 40 to 50 range most of the time. After the portable cell tower was turned on downloads are in the 4-6 megs down and pings are 80 to 100. The portable tower probably limits bandwidth to maintain a consistent service level.
TinCan Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #279
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Oro Valley , Arizona
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9356.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	342082

Speed from Statesville KOA in North Carolina.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #280
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Quote:

Wow what a mess!

I hope they can sort this out properly!

Keep us updated.

Thanks,
Chris

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

« Togo roadlink C2 | Top | - »