Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Then your GPS is working!

I would like to know if the Peplink has two Simms installed on these kits. If so, that may be a reason not to reset the Peplink modem. The second Simm is operational even if you cancel the ATT plan.

Looks like a single sim chip in mine. Not an easy picture to get!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9169.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	339640

Here is a picture of the install just for those who may be curious. The small pepwave router on top is the device supplied with Airstream Connected. The larger pepwave Soho on the bottom is my main router.

The “WiFi” led of the Airstream Connected router blinks steady. I (hope/think) this is because I had that feature disabled by Airstream, and my other router provides that function now.

Name:	26.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	339641
Old 05-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #202
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Not to mention, who is going to update it and ensure it has all the latest and greatest? My own dealer is referring me back to get help from the mothership......I think you signed those rights over when you sign up with AT&T......I don't think there is any ill will going on, I just don't think this is a fully baked solution......

People may think I'm being a bit over the top about it.....but security is a big thing......some idiot finds a way to hack the stream because your routers firmware is out of date.......however/whenever.......and you're doing what you think is secure CC or banking in your AS (because you may just have too).......and then your data get stolen/compromised etc......

I realize that not everyone is an expert or even comfy with updating or working with routers etc.....but for those of us who are/do.....we shouldn't be locked out because of whatever the reason......that falls squarely on privacy and security concerns.........JMHO.

Agree.

Airstream, can you comment here?
Old 05-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #203
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
The fleet software that Airstream is using is off the shelf from Peplink and called In-Contol 2. It is not as nefarious as some may make out. It was designed tro monitor fleets of vehicles as in a police garage.

Here are all the details.

https://www.peplink.com/products/incontrol-2/

It was not written for Airstream to spy on you.

The software can push updates and if you go to the Peplink website you can follow updates that come out for the router. If you want the latest update or want to know if your router is updated, you will have to call Airstream, unfortunately. Updates do not come out as often as you think. Peplink was very slow to bring out the last one. Security is another issue, but Peplink modems are so expensive because they are so secure. Cradlepoint is another modem that is in this class and trusted by government offices.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Second Simm

That is interesting but not unexpected that there is no second Simm. Airstream uses the second sim in the classic to maintain the "Connect" system so you can monitor your trailers electronics. You do not have to have the ATT plan to use the connect system.

If someone lets the ATT plan expire, the Czone system and control is maintained.

Tom & Doty
Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #205

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Interesting. Anyone else have an issue with that, if true, from a privacy perspective?

I picture a big room somewhere (like in War Games) where all the maps displaying Airstream locations along with speed, etc. (kidding of course).

However - I don’t recall signing anything giving them rights to do this, again, if they are.

Look what they are doing with Televisions in tracking what we view. Where in that long scrolling disclaimer of legalize do we give them the permission to do that?

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Interesting. Anyone else have an issue with that, if true, from a privacy perspective?

I picture a big room somewhere (like in War Games) where all the maps displaying Airstream locations along with speed, etc. (kidding of course).

However - I don’t recall signing anything giving them rights to do this, again, if they are.

Who else might they share the data with?
In my 2019 Airstream manual, there is a section stating that Airstream gathers certain data on you. You have the right to have that data gathering turned off, but portions of the system will no longer function.

I take that to mean the remote app will no longer function since your data isn't being uploaded, but your wifi will continue to work. AT&T doesn't care about the content of the data, only how much and from where. On the 2019 Classic, there are at least 5 companies with their hands in the pot governed by at least two agreements. (Airstream, the C-zone agregator, and the peplink are governed by the agreement with Airstream - AT&T is governed by your access agreement with them. There may be another company involved if Airstream does not host the GPS data server themselves, but that will be governed under your agreement with Airstream.)

Put bluntly, nobody really cares about the data you pass on your WiFi and you are fine as long as you are using "https" on all of your links. The metadata is what Airstream cares about and that will be very valuable info to them for marketing and feedback purposes. There really isn't a reason you wouldn't want them to have that if you want a better product from them on your next Airstream and continued updates to the current product line.

I suppose if you are are borderline paranoid (or perhaps doing something that you don't want ANYONE else to know about) you might want that metadata collection turned off. Personally, I don't care. If it helps them make a better product, they can have it. I assume if you are in an accident involving your Airstream, the authorities can subpoena the data to verify your story.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #207
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
kittmaster, Android Play Store "Airstream Smart RV Control"
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #208
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sigh. I’m more than ‘borderline paranoid’. I’m a well-paid professional paranoid that prefers to have full control over the data I’m spewing as I travel about. Thanks for confirming my non-interest in getting a system like this...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Hmmm, I thought of this a while back but forgot to mention it.

The firmware for the peplink is licensed firmware. It appears to me that the capability of WAN failover is governed by some of the "extra cost" licensing on their website. I wonder if you wipe the settings, if that also means you wipe the license for that ability. (Otherwise known as the Camp WiFi feature that we all keep calling in to turn off.) At some point, Airstream/peplink will fix that even if it is through upgraded hardware/firmware. If you have wiped your modem back to factory defaults, I'm pretty sure you would lose access to that licensed feature.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I’m in Zion national park. Just turned on the Wifi and 30 down and 5 up! I’ll send some picts when i get the laptop out.

Tom & Doty
Old 05-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
I finally got the Airstream out today to a decent signal and got 45Mbps down and 10Mbps up - better than my DSL at home.

Thanks turk123 for blazing the trail on this!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I finally got the Airstream out today to a decent signal and got 45Mbps down and 10Mbps up - better than my DSL at home.

Thanks turk123 for blazing the trail on this!
Great news and performance numbers. I'm in Zion right now and have a remarkable signal. We were in Williams AZ 50 miles south of Grand canyon and had my first bad bandwidth. I could only get 5 down and .45 up.

Can't resist a picture here!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zion AS_res (1).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	339680  

Tom & Doty
Old 05-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #213
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Great news and performance numbers. I'm in Zion right now and have a remarkable signal. We were in Williams AZ 50 miles south of Grand canyon and had my first bad bandwidth. I could only get 5 down and .45 up.

Can't resist a picture here!!

Stunning!
Old 05-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
I tried adding my netgear dual band router. After AS turned off campground feature, I went from 4mbps to around 19mbps. When I set up the netgear to act as a wireless access point and plugged it into the LAN port, still got around the same down and upload speeds.

I am in a very heavy LTE area sub since 4g LTE is around 35mbps max, not sure how much better the second router will do.

I streamed a move from Netflix and amazon prime to test the drop rate and it didn't flicker once......I "guess" this is good even though the numbers are not that great....
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

Looks like pepwave has released new firmware. I have not looked at the release nots just yet.

https://www.peplink.com/support/downloads/
Old 05-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Looks like pepwave has released new firmware. I have not looked at the release nots just yet.

https://www.peplink.com/support/downloads/
And therein lies the issue....how are firmware updates done.....that is usually only done locally, not over the air.

And how do we verify it is even done right?....good lord.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
And therein lies the issue....how are firmware updates done.....that is usually only done locally, not over the air.

And how do we verify it is even done right?....good lord.
Airstream and I have done 5 or 6 updates over the air just fine. I was working with the project manager for "Connect" when we tested it last year. They get into your router through their software and can download the firmware to the Peplink. Takes a couple of minutes. You have to then shut down the router and then turn it on again for it to load the new firmware.

I do not believe you can see the firmware version.

Tom & Doty
Old 05-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #218
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Airstream and I have done 5 or 6 updates over the air just fine. I was working with the project manager for "Connect" when we tested it last year. They get into your router through their software and can download the firmware to the Peplink. Takes a couple of minutes. You have to then shut down the router and then turn it on again for it to load the new firmware.

I have an email out to Jon on firmware update plans.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:11 AM   #219
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:

I just may have to have this removed, having someone continually babysit my hardware over time is just not how I roll.

IMO, this is stupid....even if they "can" do it.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I don't care.....I am a Senior EE, I don't need someone hand holding....I guess I'll have to ask/beg John to please please please update my router for me.

I'm grateful for all the work you've done, I just think this is BS on how they are handling it.....regardless of the backdoor bs agreement AS and AT&T have.

And it ultimately comes down to this......they should have an option that allows the owner to have these controls and an option that leaves it in the their hands for those that can't/don't/won't be able to handle this aspect of managing their own hardware......it's not for everyone, but for those of us who can....having no control over any of it is just frustrating..... it just doesn't make sense to me........

To each their own.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:20 AM   #220
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Well I sent off an email to John to ask to have my router firmware updated and this is what I got back:

Hello,
I have recently accepted a different position here at Airstream and am currently in training. Please leave a detailed email and I will do my best to get back to you. I will check this email at the end of the day everyday to do my best to assist you myself or get you in touch with another member of our Customer support team. If you have an immediate need or concern please call (877)596-6111 for customer support. I apologize fore any inconvenience this has caused.

So I'm guessing any/all progress that has been made will end up restarting....just passing it along