Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

Airstream is now offering their “Airstream Connected” solution with AT&T 4G LTE and WiFi Hotspot in a dealer installed solution with an MSRP of $999.

I wonder if Airstream will offer this as a factory-installed option or perhaps at Jackson Center. Has anyone had this installed yet?

https://www.airstream.com/connected/
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
This is installed as a standard feature on the Classic models, with one year of AT&T service included.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Uncapped data - meh. Get that all day long on any major carrier with mobile handset hotspot service.

Un-throttled speeds - now we’re talking.

1 grand for equipment. Booo! All I want is the SIM card chipset and LTE radio so I can associate with my VIN, qualify for AT&T’s in automotive vehicle-hot-spot-airstream-special-service and integrate with my existing in-trailer network... [emoji6]
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I believe the following existing thread covers the same plan, with the recent posts going into some detail about possible hiccups with the router setup.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ms-187354.html

See Post #102 by turk123, and later posts. Not sure how the SNAFU is working out with AS and ATT.

Peter

PS -- Click on orange arrow in quote to go to that post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
. . .
I've hesitated to make all this public until recently as I worked with Airstream to solve the issues.
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamJim View Post
This is installed as a standard feature on the Classic models, with one year of AT&T service included.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I knew they offered it on the Classic. We’ve got a new 27’ GlobeTrotter on order and was thinking it would be great if the did the hardware installation while on the assembly line.

Our 2019 RAM 1500 has a 4G LTE hotspot but it would be more convenient to have it in the Airstream.
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Thanks Jim, I knew they offered it on the Classic. We’ve got a new 27’ GlobeTrotter on order and was thinking it would be great if the did the hardware installation while on the assembly line.

Our 2019 RAM 1500 has a 4G LTE hotspot but it would be more convenient to have it in the Airstream.
Hi Jeff

PM me if you would like some first-hand info on this system. It's not a perfect system, but can be improved.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
sidney , Ohio
Turk123 I was looking into this do you have an idea how much data you are using each month?
stickman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
It's not a perfect system, but can be improved.
If you have new info could you please also post it in the main thread I linked earlier?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman70 View Post
Turk123 I was looking into this do you have an idea how much data you are using each month?
I am guessing about 50 Gb / month. Both my wife and I stream a lot to two Chromecasts on the two TVs in our trailer. I also am running my business from here. We have 2 laptops, Ipad, Samsung pad, 2 phones, google hub and 2 chromecasts.

Tom & Doty
Old 02-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If you have new info could you please also post it in the main thread I linked earlier?

Thanks,

Peter
Yes. I am also consolidating the project into one document with images on what we did and how it performs. It is spread out over several threads. I hope this will help put it all in one place. I will post as one pdf here and elsewhere.

Tom & Doty
Old 02-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Hi Jeff

PM me if you would like some first-hand info on this system. It's not a perfect system, but can be improved.

Please let us know...here would be good..ty
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Consolidated Airstream connect solution

Here is a link to a PDF of a document I created from the many posts about the Airstream connect issues and a solution for it. I hope this helps those experiencing problems with the Peplink modem and for those considering the new upgrade from Airstream.

The upgrade is fine, just needs this tweak to work efficiently.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream connect solution v1.pdf (527.0 KB, 535 views)

Tom & Doty
Old 02-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I believe the following existing thread covers the same plan, with the recent posts going into some detail about possible hiccups with the router setup.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ms-187354.html

See Post #102 by turk123, and later posts. Not sure how the SNAFU is working out with AS and ATT.

Peter

PS -- Click on orange arrow in quote to go to that post:

I am always amazed how you track these posts down to the thread number on various topics.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:

Here is a link to a PDF of a document I created from the many posts about the Airstream connect issues and a solution for it. I hope this helps those experiencing problems with the Peplink modem and for those considering the new upgrade from Airstream.

The upgrade is fine, just needs this tweak to work efficiently.

Nice write up Turk123. Much appreciated.

All I want is to get my hands on that pepwave LTE modem with integrated sim chipset, and have it unlocked.

That’s all I want, no cables, no antennas, no installation, no nothing just that box [emoji4] did you happen to get the model number off the back?

I think I have a path [emoji4]
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #15
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Cradlepoint makes amazingly good unlocked LTE routers into which you can stuff your favorite SIM(s). Sadly, they are also expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Prescott , Arizona
Hey everyone! I've got one of these installed in my 2017 Int Sig and have been using it while working full time on the road. Happy to answer any questions you might have!

Here's some initial feedback as someone who worked off of a hot spot and phone previously.

For starters I can say the reception is far better than my hotspot ever was, and that's even with the Weboost cell booster system on my trailer. I have yet to find a single place where the connect system didn't have coverage, and I choose some remote locations.

Subsequently speed has been better as well. Outside Anza Borrego I was pulling down 41 mbps, but I consistently see 13-15 mbps in remote locations with poor cell service. This has been enough to upload hi-res photos for work, stream videos etc.

As someone noted earlier "unlimited" data is available through other hotspots, but the big difference is that this plan doesn't throttle you after a certain amount of data is used. I usually found that my hotspot became unusable once it was throttled, so not having to deal with that was a huge bonus.

There's no discernible drop in speed relocating throughout the trailer or working outside the trailer for that matter.

One thing I have yet to test is how much power it actually draws while in use. I don't carry a generator as I run solar, but after a few cloudy days this has been top of mind for me. The site says 12W max draw, but I'll be looking into that soon.

Another thing I wanted to touch on was price, as some folks seem to question the $999 cost. The best thing I can compare this to is purchasing a high quality cell booster. My booster cost nearly $600, and that only amplifies the signal of whatever hotspot unit you buy. Good hotspots are usually another $100 to $200, and they still won't match the speeds I've been seeing so far.

I'm not suggesting this is some perfect system, but it is the best option I've used thus far and I'm really happy with it.

As a side note, I did read through some of the issues Turk posted in the other thread. I haven't experienced a single problem with my unit so far, but I will certainly post up anything I encounter!

Edit: wow can't believe this was my first post since 2016... I've been lurking too long.
Splorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorin View Post
For starters I can say the reception is far better than my hotspot ever was, and that's even with the Weboost cell booster system on my trailer. I have yet to find a single place where the connect system didn't have coverage, and I choose some remote locations.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is what we have been waiting to hear! A user who has experience outside of the factory install in the Classic. We are full-time-on-the-road, too. While we have *beyond unlimited* phone service, we are throttled every month due to our heavy use/hot spot use! ANNOYING! WeBoost helps, but not completely.

We have been waiting patiently for Airstream to work-out and roll-out this product to retro-fit other AS models. Can’t wait to have this installed into our GT.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Quote:
I've got one of these installed in my 2017 Int Sig and have been using it while working full time on the road. Happy to answer any questions you might have!

Question(s): Who did your install? Where did they locate the router/equipment? Maybe I missed it, but what are your upload speeds? This is our biggest issue with our carrier and the *beyond unlimited* service we have.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewStream View Post
Question(s): Who did your install? Where did they locate the router/equipment? Maybe I missed it, but what are your upload speeds? This is our biggest issue with our carrier and the *beyond unlimited* service we have.
No worries! Glad I can help! I had Airstream inland empire do the install. They located the actual router in the rear overhead compartment with the sliding doors. The antenna itself is mounted between the fridge vent and A/C as I didn't want to see it. I take a lot of photos and I hate random stuff on the trailer haha. pic attached of location of antenna as well as a sample of the sort of places i find myself.

In terms of speed that varies greatly. Outside Anza Borrego I was seeing 41 mbps. I had 30 mbps in the attached desert photo, 18 roughly in some remote AZ sections, and the worst Ive seen (in an area where i couldn't even send texts on my phone) was 7 mbps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2119.PNG
Views:	375
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	332945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	332946  

Splorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Another thing I wanted to touch on was price, as some folks seem to question the $999 cost. The best thing I can compare this to is purchasing a high quality cell booster. My booster cost nearly $600, and that only amplifies the signal of whatever hotspot unit you buy. Good hotspots are usually another $100 to $200, and they still won't match the speeds I've been seeing so far.
Remember, the $999 is an installed price. As a comparison, we have an accessories catalog from Airstream Adventures Northwest. The price for a weBoost Drive 4G-X RV (not as powerful as the $600 one mentioned above) installed by them is $1035 (the unit costs $499.99). I think $999 installed for this much capability is a great price.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote