Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Apalachicola , Florida
Need to boost my WI-FI reception at an RV park

By now, I've figured out that I can't get great WiFi reception while fulltiming inside my 2007 International. The RV park that I'm staying at has just updated their WiFi antennae and I get great reception while outside of my Airstream; but I'm not about to do that in 30 degree weather down here in Florida. So, in order to use my inter-web inside my home, I'm trying to figure out the best way to boost my wi-fi signal. I was recommended the C.CRANE "Super USB WiFi Antenna II" (C. Crane Company - Super USB WiFi Antenna II - Toll Free (800) 522-8863) Has anyone had any experience with this particular model or one like it? How does this thing work if my aluminum shell is supposedly blocking my WiFi signal? Please advise.
FishStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Good luck with it...not sure about that particular product booster. For the most part we have found most WiFi set ups at RV parks to be totally inadequate, and often don't work at all inside or outside of the trailer. Theoretically if it's a good system and set up properly (and that's a big IF), you should be able to connect inside your trailer. We have learned not to rely on them.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStreamer View Post
How does this thing work if my aluminum shell is supposedly blocking my WiFi signal? Please advise.
Hi, from my experiences, the aluminum shell doesn't really effect the signal. The reason I say this is because we have had really great reception of WIFI at some campgrounds. I spent many hours using my computer either inside of the laundry room or the office of a few campgrounds. At one campground, I was getting all five bars and nothing worked. It was later explained to me that the transponder/relay module, or whatever it is called, was working great, but the main computer wasn't making it to the transponder/relay module. Also if the unit is weak or controlled by the office, you might get a weak signal. [also too many users on line] I went into a few offices and told them my WIFI wasn't working; They said they checked it out and nothing was wrong, but when I went back to my trailer it started working good. I now have decided that my computer is not at fault, the WIFI system is.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
I went into a few offices and told them my WIFI wasn't working; They said they checked it out and nothing was wrong, but when I went back to my trailer it started working good. I now have decided that my computer is not at fault, the WIFI system is.
Had the same experience and we have a fiberglass shell, found if I worked on the bed next to the rear picture window I could get signal after using it in the office game room. Owner claimed his metal building was at fault, but he had an antenna mounted outside. I am glad it is just an optional extra to get wifi, if we depended on it we would have to stay home
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I bought a WiFire last year and it works great. Even got wifi from the lodge at Canyon Dechelly NP last Spring from about 1000' away.

Pricey, though, mine was $75

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I guess I've had a different experience with WiFi signals. It seems by the fact that you get a better signal outside, the Airstream's aluminum shell is blocking some of the signal. I have also found that, as with any directional signals, such as WiFi, cellular, etc., the signal can be enhanced by pointing a directional antenna at the source. I have used one of these with success:

WiFi Antennas-Super Cantenna Wireless Booster Antenna

If you don't have a WiFi card with an external antenna connection, there is an adapter for the USB port (option 2):

Cantenna | Connect to Your Laptop

There are other USB options available:

USB WiFi Antenna || - RadioLabs

I haven't used the Crane, but it appears to be omni-dierctional, and 4.5 Db gain isn't that much. But, in most cases, I've found that you can improve a signal just by getting an antenna in, or near, a window. With a 15 ft. cable, the Crane antenna should, at least, do that.

Good luck.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The problem with WiFi is that the FCC limits the power and antenna combinations that can be sold to reduce interference in urban areas. In a campground it doesn't matter much but you still can't buy the gear pre-assembled. To get anything that will work you have to kit it together yourself. In general an outdoor antenna with 15 db or more of gain is required to make a noticeable improvement.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Why does my wireless signal come and go?

Quote:
By now, I've figured out that I can't get great WiFi reception while fulltiming inside my 2007 International. The RV park that I'm staying at has just updated their WiFi antennae and I get great reception while outside of my Airstream; but I'm not about to do that in 30 degree weather down here in Florida. So, in order to use my inter-web inside my home, I'm trying to figure out the best way to boost my wi-fi signal. I was recommended the C.CRANE "Super USB WiFi Antenna II" (C. Crane Company - Super USB WiFi Antenna II - Toll Free (800) 522-8863) Has anyone had any experience with this particular model or one like it? How does this thing work if my aluminum shell is supposedly blocking my WiFi signal? Please advise.
Hi,

You may find some of the info in the following thread to be of interest:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...-go-54832.html

All of the posts are relevant and provide excellent information. I'm partial to post #14; you'll understand when you see it.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
I have had the same problem with wi-fi connections and there are a lot of variables some of which are out of your control. The double aluminum shell of an A/S does affect your ability to access wi-fi. Your internet access is broadcast as a low powered radio signal that goes both ways. From the source network to your computer and from your computer to the source. Radio signals are influenced by line of sight. If there are objects between you and the source your signal will be degraded or in some cases non existant. Through trial and error I found that if my computer was by a window in our rig and if that window had a direct line with the wi-fi antenna source I could easily access the internet. If you closed the blinds or put something else in the way the signal would change. There are many outside antenna's that can be used to improve your reception. Some are USB hook ups, some have adapters that will hook the antenna to your computer if it has an outside antenna jack. I chose a set up that uses a reformated LinkSys router hooked to an 8.5db outside antenna. That way we can use several computers at any place in our rig with out hard wiring. My wife has a lap top and so do I and we use them simultaneously without a problem now that we have the outside antenna and router. The company that made ours is jefatech.com. What you are doing is basically repeating the public network that is available to you in the RV park or any other open network.

We are spending the winter as work campers and I have been involved in setting up and fine tuning the wi-fi network in our rv resort. The problems with access out of your control is BandWidth. Even though we have a very strong wi-fi signal available because of usage and the types of usage there sometimes isn't enough bandwidth available to support the network. The number of people using the Network and the types of usages like Internet TV, web cams and on line computer games with a lot of grahics soak up bandwidth basically hogging the system in detriment to others on the network. It is like you are on an open party line if someone else is talking you can't make a phone call. Since I am a network administrater and when I know there are people taking advantage I solve the problem by unplugging the modem for about 15 minutes causing the those watching Miami CSI while I'm trying send email or sign on the A/S Forums to miss that much of their episode and then I wait for the phone call complaining about it so I know who they are.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I will echo SilverRangers message - get or build a CanTenna. Lots of gain and simple to use.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
The aluminum skin will weaken the signal. Your trailer is essentially a Faraday Shield.

An external antenna is the only way to go. Best one is the "Cantenna" which you can make easily enough using a Pringles can for under $10.00 if you are so inclined. Eat the chips first ;~). Here are the plans and list of parts needed. WARNING: Plenty of "Geek-Speak" and real techhie stuff......

Antenna on the Cheap (er, Chip)

The problem lies in getting the signal from the antenna to your computer's wireless adapter. The cable you use to connect the antenna to the computer must be designed to work at microwave frequencies because there is signal loss (attenuation) in the cable and the incorrect cable will exhibit greater loss than cable designed for those frequencies. Also there;s the issue of the connector. You may need to get a PCMCIA (PC Card) wireless adapter that has an external antenna connector. Most do not. The only one I can think of is the ORiNOCO card designed by Lucent Technologies (formerly Bell Labs) several years ago. These are available on eBay but are still very pricey because they offer this feature. The ORiNOCO also has other features as as well that drives up the demand and thus the cost. This card does not require any special drivers in Windows XP and higher so it works simply by plugging it in. This is an excellent feature for technicians.

Notwithstanding,since most laptops and notebooks do not have a connector for an external antenna the best way to go is to use one that has the wireless adapter built inside antenna housing. This will connect to your computer via the USB port.

Hawking Technology makes a very nice unit that meets these parameters. The antenna is a parabolic dish that looks like a miniature satellite TV antenna that offers some gain and amplifies the signal. The dish is movable so you can point it right at the wireless router at the campground which helps even more. This antenna has a narrow beamwidth which helps it amplify the signal even more.

Hawking Technologies

Amazon sells them for under $60.00 including shipping.

Amazon.com: Hawking HWU8DD Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter: Electronics

I have one of these and it works very well. Of course the antenna/adapter cannot compensate for a poor quality connection even if the signal is strong.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Reflections on Radio Signals

Hi,
There have been a few of these discussions lately concerning cell phones and Wi-Fi in Airstreams. They are essentially the same thing. Both WIFI and cell phone signals are complex digital radio signals. It is not only necessary to receive a strong enough signal, it is necessary to receive the signal with very little distortion. Aluminum or any metal for that matter, does not just stop a signal, it reflects it off in some other direction, exactly as a mirror reflects light. Just like light in a mirror, if the surface of the metal reflecting the radio signal is irregular, it will reflect a distorted signal. If a cell phone or Wi-Fi card receives reflected signals, the signals will combine and cause distortion when they are received. Even if the phone or card is receiving a good signal directly from the Wi-Fi or cell tower, a reflection from another metal object can distort the signal. Because of all these variables the best solution is a directional antenna placed in a location where it can "see" the source of the Wi-Fi or cell signal and not close to any reflecting objects (like an Airstream ). The directional antenna will minimize the effect of reflected signals. However, since the cell tower antenna or Wi-Fi source are most likely omni directional, the signal can still be distorted by objects near them. In most cases, your cell phone or Wi-Fi card will be receiving multiple reflected signals. The resulting signal will be determined by how the reflecting signals combine. This varies as the phone or card is moved, sometimes just inches.
As mentioned in a prior post the signal can leave the Wi-Fi antenna already distorted. This can be caused by a number of things at the source.
So, if you think about it, it is amazing it ever works.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
RadioLabs

We purchased signal-boosting equipment from RadioLabs here at the park. This was to boost our signal from the park to the RVs, but I've also read good reviews of the equipment that they sell to RVers. Here's a link to their site; just give them a call, as they seem to be pretty knowledgeable:

RadioLabs - Radio, Wireless and Beyond -

Lynn
Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Have you tried different places in your trailer? You could be too close to the antenna, under the radar so to speak. I have found Wi-FI is hit or miss at most RV Parks. It all depends on where you are and where the parks antennas are located.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Fishstreamer,

I have thrown several hundred dollars at WiFi equipment, cable, and fittings.

The cleanest and most reliable system that I have used to date is the RadioLabs WaveRV antenna. This antenna will draw in wifi systems from a mile away. This antenna alone worked very well, but the only downfall of the system is that we have an outside USB connection in the system, and this has been a problem spot for us.

I just ordered another RadioLabs antenna, the GS-2400 -High Speed Wireless Bridge. This is a different antenna that is powered through the network cabling, and has cabling limits of 165 feet of length, with no exposed connectors. The new antenna will be directional, and should be easy to aim, but time will tell.

Attached photos of the existing system.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0233.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	93925   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0234.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	93926  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0235.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	93927   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0237.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	93928  

darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Hawkings

Try this one.I have used them before and was happy with my results.They are a good company.(As Mister Mike said in the previous post.)Friends use them also.
Hawking Technologies

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi signal booster