Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
MicroPulse dead - no response from Catcon...

So - on our last trip - the MicroPulse monitor showed the black tank full when it clearly wasn't. Eventually, the black tank stopped registering entirely! Two emails and one phone call in to Catcom over the past two weeks and still not a single response from them!

Today, the entire monitor is dead. No readings at all on tanks and battery - though the pump still works.

Is this a problem with the panel on the wall or is it something else? Really wish Catcon would return my emails and phone calls [emoji35]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
So - on our last trip - the MicroPulse monitor showed the black tank full when it clearly wasn't. Eventually, the black tank stopped registering entirely! Two emails and one phone call in to Catcom over the past two weeks and still not a single response from them!

Today, the entire monitor is dead. No readings at all on tanks and battery - though the pump still works.

Is this a problem with the panel on the wall or is it something else? Really wish Catcon would return my emails and phone calls [emoji35]
They were responsive to me, but that was several years probably 2008. What was interesting was that the guy I talked to told me the master panel had a 5 year warranty and sent me a complete new panel. He didn't even ask for the defective one back. You may still be in warranty dependent upon your purchase date.

This is the most current contact info I can find.

Catcon Products Inc.
7709 Sand Street
Fort Worth, TX 76118
817-590-8718
817-590-8756 Fax
sales@catconproducts.com

Link to their contact screen below:

https://www.shop.catconproducts.com/...3plqscsfapp006

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
http://www.shop.catconproducts.com/M...0-10050-20.htm

or just order a new board .

Have your tried killing all power to the coach then firing it up again?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
The black tank monitors seemingly NEVER work.

But again...what's the purpose of them? You can easily tell when you're close to full when you flush the toilet.

The MicroPulse black tank monitor is WORTHLESS.

The little battery LED strip isn't accurate either...you need a real digital readout.

The fresh and gray monitors I can see as useful, but these actually usually DO work...but again are never REALLY accurate.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks Jack. I've now sent my 4th communication - let's see what happens.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWBC View Post
http://www.shop.catconproducts.com/M...0-10050-20.htm

or just order a new board .

Have your tried killing all power to the coach then firing it up again?

Yes. I've had the coach completely disconnected for two weeks. Fired up tonight to get ready for the weekend. The entire panel is black now. No readings on anything - though the pump still works....I'm cornfused!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
No readings on anything - though the pump still works....I'm cornfused!
Nothing to be confused about. The pump wiring is separate from the panel wiring; just because the switch is mounted on the panel doesn't mean it is part of the panel electrically.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Quote:
Yes. I've had the coach completely disconnected for two weeks. Fired up tonight to get ready for the weekend. The entire panel is black now. No readings on anything - though the pump still works....I'm cornfused!
Just guessing here but wouldn't the board for the sensor be different from the pump which is basically a relay switch. In other words you still could have the pump working but that part of the board which runs the senors could be kaput.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
RareSteam , I'm thinking great minds thinks alike eh. I just types slower.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We replaced the dying Micro Pulse tank monitor system with the top model SeeLevel system in our 2014 Classic twp years ago. The 2015 23D came with the basic SeeLevel system and it still works fine.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Either they read the forum or someone must have notified them I was whining here - just got an email from Catcon...

Testing instructions and black tank sensor replacement instructions for almost every model AS but mine. We'll see....thanks for all the input.

I'm very tempted to upgrade to the SeeLevel but the mothership quoted me something like $2500 if I remember correctly...since I can tell when the FW is full by the overflow of the filler neck, the toilet when it's up to the flange, the gray when it comes up to the shower and the battery with a voltage meter - it's not a crucial fix worth that kind of dough....
Old 06-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
MicroPulse dead - no response from Catcon...

Quote:
Either they read the forum or someone must have notified them I was whining here - just got an email from Catcon...

Testing instructions and black tank sensor replacement instructions for almost every model AS but mine. We'll see....thanks for all the input.

I'm very tempted to upgrade to the SeeLevel but the mothership quoted me something like $2500 if I remember correctly...since I can tell when the FW is full by the overflow of the filler neck, the toilet when it's up to the flange, the gray when it comes up to the shower and the battery with a voltage meter - it's not a crucial fix worth that kind of dough....

Well if your panel is shot will they cover under the 5 year warranty? I know Airstream won't supply the labor for free but Catcon will supply the panel if you are in that 5 year window. Check to see when you bought your trailer. I'm assuming you bought it new.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hey SSM, Blue has been at the dealer for awhile for end of 2 year warranty punch list. The monitor was on that list.

During our last trip to Paso Robles it started to get erratic...black reading empty, (just emptied it) check...2 hours later 50%. Looked down the throat...MT. 30 minutes later MT reading in the BW again. Same erratic behaviors followed in the FW & GW tank readings. We use the shower for storage and the drain heads up isn't always a good plan.

Talking with the dealer, all punch list work was long done except the Monitor. Seems they ordered a new one and parts were on the way. Seems the "parts" ordered was a new monitor.

Ours is a 2014 bought new 5-2015 so just two years old. Someone mentioned a 5 year mf'r warranty.

Good luck on your resolution.

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:

If you're interested in SeeLevel, you can check it out at
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...-tank-monitor/
Garnet will also help you find a good installer if you're not handy and/or if your tanks are difficult to access.
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
If you're interested in SeeLevel, you can check it out at
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...-tank-monitor/
Garnet will also help you find a good installer if you're not handy and/or if your tanks are difficult to access.

Thanks - just sent them a message - let's see what this might run me...I think I'd rather do that than fix the MicroPulse. It was never my fave anyway....
Old 06-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
SSM, FWIW I attempted to puck up the TT today with an end of warranty punch list including the MP monitor. Apparently mine has being replaced but they had trouble communicating in a timely manner with Catcon. The dealer service guy indicated they are going out of business/getting out of the business.

If you're out of warranty, this may a time to jump to the sealevel.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
The micropulse in our trailer has always been useless - at least in icorporates a swicthto trn the water pump on and that works!

Frankly I don't see much need for one, and don't think I'd bother replacing it with a ore reliable system even if one was given to me!

Seems like just another electronic gadget that is a frustration when it doesn't work.

Guess my wife is right - I must be getting to be an old curmudgeon! But I can do without unnecessary annoyances!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:

We had a similar sounding problem a few years ago. I eventually discovered that a gunked up connection to the black tank sensor was causing the whole monitor to go haywire (except for the pump, which was unaffected). Disconnecting that sensor's wire at the control unit brought the panel back to life. We never bothered to replace the black sensor or its wiring after that, but just left it unplugged. Have not had a problem since then.
teagues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
In my 25fb near the water pump under the fridge the sensor wires come up from the floor. The are connected to the wires from the monitor panel with RJ11 connector for each sensor. You may want to check these connectors.

Kelvin
Old 06-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
I gave up on Micropulse

I installed a Seelevel system a few years ago and it has functioned perfectly ever since.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...-a-129739.html

It is not a difficult system to install.... well not TOO difficult for the average person.

George

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote